WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What makes a "Keeper" ?

Banned

What makes a "Keeper" ?

Besides the obvious criteria of sentimental value or a gun that was difficult to acquire; why are some guns impossible to part with and others come & go?

I've had Ruger Service-Six's/Security-Six's that were great guns but they didn't scratch that itch. I picked up a Service-Six a few weeks ago I already know that this one is destined for 'Keeper" status. Not sure why. It's not aesthetically perfect and it shoots about as well as the others.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    History and opinion. I really want some that I haven't yet touched, and yet I've owned some models that are cherished by others here but I wouldn't touch one again.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I think a lot of it has to do with the "stage" your are at. I love 38 spls. and have probably 10 or so 38s and 38/357s. I cast and reload my own as well. I have Smiths, Colts, Rugers. My favorite is my S & W M & P - 5" - it has a lot of "mileage" on it but it is tight and shoots well. At the time I bought it, I also both a Smith Combat Masterpiece because I could get it at a great price - it's probably a 95%. For some reason, I just can't get attached to it. Maybe it's because I like plain sights instead of adjustable? Can't really say. I have Smith Model 35s, M & Ps, Colt Army Special, Ruger New Vaquero and my latest purchase was a Uberti Bisley in 357. Given them all, I'd fight tooth and nail to keep my M & P and the Uberti Bisley - the others . . . well, I could probably live without 'em. I used to have trouble "parting" with guns - not any more though. If I'm not enjoying it, then it's not that important. Maybe I'm just getting old?

Banned
    I'm clearly in the "stage" of gathering 38 Specials!
    I've got a pile of them and I down to the keepers, which is still a big pile! I have a mix of S&W's / Ruger's with a Colt or two in the mix. I also prefer fixed sights; I've had a 3" model 65 for over 20 years and I'll never part with it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    History and opinion. I really want some that I haven't yet touched, and yet I've owned some models that are cherished by others here but I wouldn't touch one again.
    Yep, sometimes there's just one that you have to have.

I know the ones that would be impossible to pry away from me are: things of specific value to me and no one else (eg my first gun), or something of historical note (say, like an old beat up milsurp). Ive drooled over guns in catalogs, finally found one at an LGS, bought it, adored it, and as fast as I fell in love with it fell out. I figure if I can get most of the money back out of it and let someone else go down the same rabbit hole this strange circle of life *key lion king music* will keep going around.

Banned
    I've been in that ownership chain many times. I coveted a rifle at a gun shop that was 50 miles away. It sat on the rack there for 18 months and I stopped in every time I was in the area, hoping that it would be sold and remove the temptation. The price finally dropped to a point that I could justify spending and it went home with me. It was a great rifle but I fell out of love with it and it became to object of someone else's obsession. There wasn't a thing wrong with it, I just didn't want it anymore.

I think most of us have a dose of gunitis when we are younger. We buy, sell and trade thinking the next one is the one that will fulfill our needs and dreams. When that one fails to hold our attention we are on to another.

Most, if not all of us reach a point when that sickness fades into the past and we realize that some guns really made us as happy as we are ever going to be with a gun. Those become the keepers.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

For me it is form and function. I love my Browning Citori I inherited from my father. It's been worked and worked hard but runs flawlessly. I feel confident with it.

Another is my 1895 GS. Not only is that gun the last one my father and I bought together before he passed, it's slicker than goose poop and accurate as all get out. 1-2" groups are easy with a 2x scope.

Boolit Master
    A lot of guns have come and gone at my house. A keeper would be one passed down from another relative but in my case that never happened. Swore I would never sell the rifle (Rem 700 rebarreled to .375/.338) used to shoot my first grizzly but even that one left. In todays world only four in our house are currently keepers and they are a S&W 41, Heym 450/400 double rifle, Les Baer .45 with the 1.5 inch 50 yard accuracy guarantee, and last but not least, a S&W 617 10 shot.
    What is a keeper? An accurate, reliable, quality built firearm that is a joy to shoot or a factory heirloom.

I do have two Freedom Arms revolvers on order and waited a long time before ordering them. When Freedom Arms finally builds them (hopefully within another 12 months) they will be passed down to my son.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I think most of us have a dose of gunitis when we are younger. We buy, sell and trade thinking the next one is the one that will fulfill our needs and dreams. When that one fails to hold our attention we are on to another.

Most, if not all of us reach a point when that sickness fades into the past and we realize that some guns really made us as happy as we are ever going to be with a gun. Those become the keepers.
    I could not have said it better! Great insight that only comes with time and experience!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    I could not have said it better! Great insight that only comes with time and experience!
    The accumulation of birthdays can be a great asset or a great burden, depending on how we view them.

When I was younger (under 50), I thought the older guys were arrogant because they thought they knew things I did not know. When I zoomed past 50, I thought the younger guys were arrogant because they thought they knew things they did not know.

This is pretty much how things work for everybody. Well, almost everybody, some folks never learn anything.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned
    I've reached the point where I think a lot before I purchase. [actually reached it some time ago] Can't say I was like that in my younger days. I never really got into the electronics thing but I spent a lot of money on cars and guns that I no longer have.
    I do have just about every tool I obtained along the way except for the ones I broke . One of the best aspects of reloading & casting is that I look at that gear as tools and not toys. That did more than anything to end my impulsive days concerning guns.
    There's still a few guns that I'd like to get but there's no rush. Reloading for one almost guarantees it will become a keeper unless it's just a dog of a gun.

Boolit Master

Feel is important to me, memories and above all heirlooms. I've a sxs .410,was my gratgranddads and his dads before that, also a boning knives made by Jim smith my great great grand dad. Had people.offer me what I thought was fools money for the sleek little .410 even when I needed the money, it'll never leave here unless its in the hands of a relative I bequeath it to. Also I couldnt imagen life with out a blackhawk or 6.
    Last edited by nagantguy; 10-11-2014 at 06:00 PM.

Banned
    I have a lot of guns I like, a lot that I really like, but I think the "keepers" would be the ones that I let go of & keep kicking myself in the *** for ever letting them go! e.g. 6.5" s&w .44mag, 5 screw that was my first .44 I got back in the 60s.

Boolit Grand Master

They're all keepers. I have only parted w/ one and it so my Uncle had a revolver to carry. I felt it was the right thing to do. I don't buy unless I plan on keeping it.

I only own around 40 or so guns at the time. I love them all, don't get me wrong, but there are a few I will never part with. First off, a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .38/.357 24" that was my fathers gun. Also and old nothing special Win. '94 30-30 that was his. I got these about 8 months ago after he died. Another is my late uncles Ruger Tang safety 77 in .22-250

These will never leave for obvious reasons.

I have a Kimber 1911 I bought as a younger man about 15 years ago that will never leave the pack either.

A sweet Smith 29 and a Colt King Cobra 6" SS that is smooth as butter!

Oh yeah. Can't forget the Kimber .22 Hunter rifle I got for $400 I'd be crazy to part with it.

Lets just face it. I'm not in the "getting rid of guns" for any reason anymore. Just my 2 cents....
    Waco
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

Also like to add the .410 and .22 marlin my dad traded a smith cheifs special for when he found out he was gonna have a son, me. And the Mossberg 500 I bought, first gun I bought with my own money. Money I earned from running a trap line. My dad would drive me to the gun shop once every two weeks so I could put money on it. Saw the fur buyer every two weeks. That year at Christmas my dad gave me an envelop with the amount I'd paid for the shotgun. The simple note said; "now you know the value of a dollar, good job." Still have the note won't ever sell the Mossberg, now it's my dedicated gurky getter.

Boolit Master
    My favorite guns are the ones that I did not intend to get in the first place, but fell in love with them once I got "the feel". My latest keeper is a Savage 23b that I originally intended to trade or sell. I started to appreciate what the original intent was of the designer and how accurate the round/gun was and it found a home. Once I start thinking of my children someday owning/shooting a gun, It usually stays.
    I try to ignore the picture of them trading a pre-64 Winchester for a car or worse yet---beer. I like to think it won't happen to me, but I have been to enough gun shows to see guys selling off their fathers war gun for a glock.

Boolit Master

I'm not sure that any quality firearm is a "keeper" good guns are like the land. We never really own them we only have the privilege of looking after them and enjoying them for a while and hoping that the next generation will have as much appreciation for them as we had. I have a double 12 that belonged to my great grand father. It's already been spoken for when I am gone.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast