MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Accuracy Expectations at 25 yards with cast bullets

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Bet ya could! All it would take is first, the desire to do it, some concentration and some practice. Key there is "desire". If it's not something your particularly interested in and didn't really care it would be very tough to do. If ya decided to give it a go and see just what you could do it would probably surprise you.

Rick
    I'll buy this--any day of the week.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    "A man has to know his limitations"

That's exactly right. But at the same time, forget what someone told you is impossible. Just cause they can't do it, doesn't mean you can't, and vice versa. If or when you decide your groups are good enough, you quit improving. I was taught for quick hits on human sized targets, and then the teacher started moving the targets further away. Here is what that Viet Nam vet did to me, and teaching was done with a 1911. I was told to read the old manual which said it was effective to 25 yds, and told it was written by men who REALLY knew their stuff. Being in my early teens, I believed it. So he started me at 5 yds, then 10, and then we got to 25 after about a month of shooting it, and I was getting cocky cause I had pushed the gun to it's absolute limit and was holding 3-4" groups. So then that old geezer put the target at 100 yds, and proceeded to put a magazine in the chest, and told me to do the same. Even after seeing it done, I accused him of cheating somehow cause the manual said what I had just seen couldn't be done. My first magazine, I got a couple in the target, which got me curious if maybe the geniuses who wrote the manual had maybe been wrong. Not too long after, maybe another couple weeks, I was keeping all my shots on the human silhouette, and that old man moved the target out to 150 yds, and then 200 yds. Y'all get the idea. He was teaching me to test, and then try to exceed my limits instead of believing what some expert says. That's what we all need to do. I mean, if you can shoot 4 inches at 25yds, that should translate to a 16" group at 100 yds, which is easily good enough to stay centermass on a b-27 target, and is doable for you right now with that 4" @ 25 yd group. So that means that if you don't pull any shots and don't have any ammo issues, etc, ALL your shots should be on that 18" plate. I have no doubt that you can do this, and improve on it, if you try. It is just a matter of wanting to. And once you want to do that, and improve, you will be doing the same thing with a 8-9" paper plate at 100yds next, and then a 6". The only things needed are a desire to improve and extend your range, time, and ammo. Lots and lots of ammo. Just have fun with it and don't let things get frustrating when it doesn't work out the way you were g the first time.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Lonegun1894 all what you say is true. I know this but I am doing gmy best to stay reasonably competitive in IDPA at the present time. To do so,few of the skills required to improve in IDPA are found in the discipline you speak of. I have to improve on my reload times and my transitions from target to target in order to offset slower reflexes and declining mobility. That does keep me busy. For now I am happy to plink away at the 100 yard gong and enjoy the odd cup of free coffee.

I wll say once my back prevents me from maintaining a reasonable level of skill at IPDA I suspect I will transition to shooting cast boolets out of rifles using a scope. I have already passed the point of trying to use most iron sights on a rifle.

All the best and go for the ring.

Take Care

Bob

Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Grand Master
    In accordance with the above recent posts, a shooter should do what is enjoyed. Sure, there are serious overtones to a portion of my range and target work--but the larger majority consists of fun and recreation. Downtime. A large measure of my resentment for the current 6-years-long drought of ammo and reloading supplies is connected to the greed and avarice that drives and sustains these shortages. Their presence is a real buzz-kill for me.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Really? My load notes contain all tested loads. Much can be learned from what didn't work. For one, it keeps me from repeating a failed load over and over. If it seemed worthy of testing today but didn't pan out and I didn't record it next year it would probably seem like a worthy test again, and the next year and. Just not possible to remember everything I've tested. What didn't work well can also give clues at to what to tweak & test any difference, in other words, why didn't it work?

Good notes from failed loads can be as useful as notes from loads that do work well.

The key is keeping "good" notes.

Rick
    Yes, true, I remember bad stuff only and only write what works. I have no interest in 4" at 25 or 50 so what does that is not entered. Most of my guns have one load ONLY. There is no need for 100 fluffs. I know what fails so I remember them, no need to record failures.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678