RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .30 Badger/.30 Reece

Badgeredd, where did you have your Contender barrels done? Are those stubs you've done yourself?

I'm interested in doing up a Contender carbine barrel. At first I was looking at doing a 22 TCM rimmed on 38 Spl brass since I have thousands of them. I made a few dummies and after annealing the top 3/8" I got brass to form nicely just running them up into the TCM die.

But after reading about your cartridge I think I like the 30 Cal idea better. I intend this as a cast boolit gun anyway, and 30 cals are much easier to cast, plus I already have a bunch of molds.

Boolit Master
    On the M25,the barrel thread/front of reciever seems to be the weak point in that gun.I have seen one and read of another that failed there due to a overload. I would not increase the body dia of a round for the M25 beyond a 32-20. Just put a 308 barrel on it and call it a 3020. I have 2 M25s and will not part with either until they stick me in the ground. You will find them addictive and they are quite strong enough for the 3220s of their era.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have run a 357 max case into a 300 blackout die and made a long neck version. Haven't chambered anything like that, but did chamber a gun with a reamer done up by putting a 30-30 neck on a 357 max case. Shot it in IHMSA, worked very well.

Going to stub a NEF barrel one of these days for the long necked 300 blackout. Probably just use full length 223 brass as it will be in a single shot.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by earthling121757 View Post
    Badgeredd, where did you have your Contender barrels done? Are those stubs you've done yourself?

I'm interested in doing up a Contender carbine barrel. At first I was looking at doing a 22 TCM rimmed on 38 Spl brass since I have thousands of them. I made a few dummies and after annealing the top 3/8" I got brass to form nicely just running them up into the TCM die.

But after reading about your cartridge I think I like the 30 Cal idea better. I intend this as a cast boolit gun anyway, and 30 cals are much easier to cast, plus I already have a bunch of molds.
    I use neglected or unwanted T/C barrels to make the stubs. I had investigated some manufactured stubs, but after 6 months of getting excuses and the run around, I decided I could do a stub easily from an existing barrel. The manufactured stub were to be priced in the 100-125 range so with a little luck a fellow can get an old barrel to make a stub from. Like this:

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by G. Blessing View Post
    Quick question here, talking about loading it to 32-20 specs got me to thinking... would a gun originally chambered to 32-20 take the pressure from this cartridge(even when"standard" loaded with the heavier bullets)?

I acquired two Remington Model 25 pump actions recently. Just finish restoring one as a 25-20, and have started on the other, getting ready to mount a 32 cal barrel to chamber for 32-20, but if I can get it to feed the 30 Badger, I have a 30 cal barrel I could mount instead and have a lot more shootin' and loadin' options for this gun... Basically, I'm wondering if the old Model 25 would stand up to the 30 badger pressures..

-Gary
    Personally, I'd stick with 32-20 in the model 25. It isn't really a gun that should be hot-rodded and God only knows what a subsequent owner would do with it in a wildcat. Strictly my opinion.....

Edd

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a really fun ctg for plinking and small game.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    So how thick is the chamber wall in the new barrel? I also wonder if a barrel could be held in place using a press-and-pin system like in an AK47?

Boolit Grand Master

rking22, Gary Reeder makes, or made a revolver cartridge on a shortened 30 Herret but I can not find it on his website. I do have a dummy cartridge he gave me about 10 years ago.
    No you got me wondering if the Streaker wasn't on the 30 Herret?! I am pretty sure I gave away the magazine that it was in to a friend of mine but I'll look.

Found info on the 30 Streaker on the web. It was on the 30-30/ 30 Herret case. Opps! LOL

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    rking22, Gary Reeder makes, or made a revolver cartridge on a shortened 30 Herret but I can not find it on his website. I do have a dummy cartridge he gave me about 10 years ago.
    No you got me wondering if the Streaker wasn't on the 30 Herret?! I am pretty sure I gave away the magazine that it was in to a friend of mine but I'll look.

Found info on the 30 Streaker on the web. It was on the 30-30/ 30 Herret case. Opps! LOL
    Lee Martin of singleactions.com states that the .30 Streaker was based on a shortened .30 Herrett somewhere around late 70's early 80's as taken from Wildcat Cartridges, Vol.II

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KLR View Post
    So how thick is the chamber wall in the new barrel? I also wonder if a barrel could be held in place using a press-and-pin system like in an AK47?
    For this cartridge, I imagine a guy could bore the stub and ream it to 5/8" (.625") which would leave .0925 per side wall thickness, press the barrel insert in and pin it in place. I thread the stub with 5/8-18 tap which leaves about .100" per side wall thickness at the thinnest point in the barrel insert.
    I thread the barrel to have a class A fit on the threads to keep the chamber as supported as possible. One could threat the barrel with a 11/16" fine thread which would leave another .0317" per side of support in the barrel insert. It would also thin the supporting stub steel to less than .065" per side.

Edd

And I know from experience that 9/16 - 24 is too small and will fail with heavy loads......

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    Thanks, Edd. Looks like I'm going to have to start scouring the pawn shops for a donor.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    Personally, I'd stick with 32-20 in the model 25. It isn't really a gun that should be hot-rodded and God only knows what a subsequent owner would do with it in a wildcat. Strictly my opinion.....

Edd
    Well, there never will be a subsequent owner other than my kids, eventually... But, I appreciate the opinion, and it coincides with all the info I can gleam on these guns... not built for hotter rounds.

I'll have to find something else to chamber for this nifty lookin round of yours.
    "Brass?" "Check." "Lead?" "Check." "Powder? ""Check." "Primers?" "Check." "Lube? ""Check." "Good.... Gun? ......... Gun?......." "ummm.... I'm soposed to have a gun?"

Boolit Master

The cheapest is a SB1 or SB2 with the small diameter firing pin. So far there are more types of firearms chambered in 30 Badger than I would have ever imagined likely. I limit the pressure to 35K psi and I believe everyone I have talked to about it seems to think that is a good safe pressure level. Because the rim and cartridge are relative small diameter, there isn't much rearward thrust or bolt thrust.

Edd

Boolit Master
    this cartridge is bothering me enough to turn something into one! Do you need a extractor or can you grab them with a finger nail?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I stopped at a gun shop today and compared the small Rossi 410 frame to the regular Rossi frame and a H&R 20ga frame. I was suprised with how small and light the 410 is. It would be awesome to have a .30 Badger in something this small and light, but I wonder if it has enough material/strength to handle the conversion? Unfortunately, I didn't have a way to measure the O.D. of the Rossi barrel but it's significantly smaller than a H&R .410. Anyone have experience with the small Rossi?

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    this cartridge is bothering me enough to turn something into one! Do you need a extractor or can you grab them with a finger nail?
    Depends on how hot you load them. Kept reasonable, no problem. Push them too hard and you need a cleaning rod to get them out. Or so I've been told....

-Nobade

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    Nobade is correct. One can modify a 22 Hornet extractor, use a 357 Mag or Maximum extractor and 223 extractor will work too, but the tips of the extractor may need to be stoned or dubbed off a little to eliminate digging into the brass. Of course a person can have the tip of another extractor tig welded up and rework it to wok too.

On one Contender pistol barrel, I used a 223 extractor and it works fine for me.

Edd
    Last edited by badgeredd; 11-29-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KLR View Post
    I stopped at a gun shop today and compared the small Rossi 410 frame to the regular Rossi frame and a H&R 20ga frame. I was suprised with how small and light the 410 is. It would be awesome to have a .30 Badger in something this small and light, but I wonder if it has enough material/strength to handle the conversion? Unfortunately, I didn't have a way to measure the O.D. of the Rossi barrel but it's significantly smaller than a H&R .410. Anyone have experience with the small Rossi?
    I have no experience with the Rossi so I can't be of much help from my experience. I would think that a fellow may be able to make one work, but I suspect it will be more involved than stubbing a H&R/NEF barrel.

Edd

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    And I know from experience that 9/16 - 24 is too small and will fail with heavy loads......

-Nobade
    You think 7/8-14 is adequate?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast