Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .30 Badger/.30 Reece

Boolit Buddy
    Hey, sweet!
    You guys just hit on one of my forgeten pet projects!

Somewhere here I have a win94 take off barrel in 30-30 that I bought cheap 7 or 8 years ago for almost this exact wild cat; I had come up with the idea of necking 357s to .30.Then found out it wasn't a new idea, found some sizing and load data, and bought that barrel. Then it got "back burnered" and I never got an action for it..

I should really pick up a used single shot and order that 30 Badger reamer!

hmm... a buddy has a H&R handi in .410 that he almost never shoots... hmmm...
    "Brass?" "Check." "Lead?" "Check." "Powder? ""Check." "Primers?" "Check." "Lube? ""Check." "Good.... Gun? ......... Gun?......." "ummm.... I'm soposed to have a gun?"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by barrabruce View Post
    what is a big bullet load then.
    150-180's load.
    thinking of mainly PB shooting mostly of the breach or self seating type loads for accurate shooting with out having to size anything.any100 % loads...

thinking of a light weight target/hunting rifle.
    is it throated with a 1.5deg forcing cone?

thanks in advance
    Sorry> I missed your post earlier. The throat is defined as starting at .310 at the case mouth and tapering into the lands at 2* per side.

I shoot a 150 grain plain base a lot along with a 180 grain. I haven't tried any breach seating. I do have one bullet mold that drops a 200 grain bullet with a .299 diameter nose on the bore ride. It is a gas checked bullet and I've wasted gas checks to see if it will shoot. I "should" try it without a check to see what it'll do that way. I think, not totally sure, I was getting between 1400 and 1500 fps. I know it was ok for accuracy but not spectacular. Probably some tweaking is in order to find the full potential.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    Pretty rifle Nobabe. I'd guess you're enjoying the little cartridge then if you put it into such a nice quality firearm.

Edd
    Yep, I sure do like it! And I figure if I get bored with it I can always lengthen the chamber for more power or turn it into a 30-30. So far it's great fun as it is, and shoots small groups at 200M with 150 or 170 gr. paper patched bullets. I still need to shoot it with lighter ones to see how it does with those, but it seems time is really short for all the things I want to do!

-Nobade

Love Life
    Seems like a very neat cartridge!! I want one!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Me too. The older I get, the more I like small almost recoilless cartridges.

Plus they are cheap to load.

Robert

Boolit Master

My granddaughter loves shooting the rifles with my low speed, low noise loads of 1.7 grains of Bullseye under a Ideal 308241 plain base bullet. It is screaming along at 600-625 fps! When the sun is right a person can see them go to the 50 yard target with no problem.

Edd

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Boolit Grand Master

The 30 Streaker was designed back in the late 60s or early 70s for handguns. 357 case necked down to 30 caliber. Read about it in an old American Rifleman I think.
    Seems like there is very little new when it comes to playing with the older cartridges and it does not take long for an recently released cartridge to be modified.
    This concept of necking down the 38 Spl. or 357 does make alot of sense money wise and has a good fun factor.

Error! The 30 Streaker was based on the 30-30/30 Herret case.
    Last edited by leadman; 11-22-2014 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    It`s all been on single shot shotgun recievers that I am aware of. Off the top of my head for a revolver to see the light of day it would require a .30 cal. barrel then a cylinder custom timed plus custom bored for the cartridge case then bored for the .30 cal. exit face besides the shoulder angle. These are just off the top of my head with other things to consider I`m sure. In other words this is a problem for Hamilton Bowen to ponder over.

At one time there was a request made to Edd for the .357 Maximum case to be used for the parent case. I don`t think Edd really gave this request a lot of serious thought.Robert
    The necked down 357Max exists already. Known as the 300MaxCat.

Boolit Master
    I thought the streaker was a shortened 30 Herrett , what am I thinking of? I have built my own 30 on the 38 special in a TCR83 and like it . I have considered using the 30 Herret and pushing the shoulder back to get a longer neck ,that is origin of my streaker question. The revolver round with the full length Herrett case would give more neck to work with in a SS.

I think the Herrett shortened was the 30 Sabre Cat, but my memory is a bit fuzzy....

-Nobade

Boolit Buddy
    I have thought about the .30 Badger since I learned of it here on the forum. I like the idea of being able to use off-the-shelf dies and .38 special brass. I think it will make an excellent small game/varmint/pest round at the short(er) distances that I shoot.

Nobade, Badgeredd, how does the round shoot with the lighter pistol boolits intended for the 32acp or 32 S&W? I'm curious because the lighter weight boolits are what I would like to use in this cartridge.

Thanks,
    bones37

I haven't done much with it using lighter bullets. I tried some #3118 paper patched at around 2000 fps, but it didn't do very well. I am sure it would work fine at normal 32-20 speeds though. I need to spend more time working with it to get an accurate load at higher speed.

-Nobade

Boolit Master

Using BABore's 30-100 and 30-120 which he designed for the cartridge, I've had very good accuracy at moderate velocities. For a quiet, fun load, I love a 135-150 grain bullet over a mini charge of Bullseye. Very accurate and simply fun! Since I use a lot of the ammo for the 30 Badger, I personally prefer quiet, slow loads and the pistol bullets will give you a very economical round. The cost of the primer is a major part of the cartridge cost after forming the brass.

Boolit Master
    how does the martini cadet handle this case.
    thinking of a light walk around gun come casual bench rest .
    I'm dreaming of a 3/4 moa rifle with cast.
    any thoughts...
    I know mounting a scope so as to load can be a bit of a pain though.
    anyone ever handled one of those ea shaw rifles. they look good on the interweb.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I haven't done much with it using lighter bullets. I tried some #3118 paper patched at around 2000 fps, but it didn't do very well. I am sure it would work fine at normal 32-20 speeds though. I need to spend more time working with it to get an accurate load at higher speed.

-Nobade
    Actually, 32-20 type loadings and speeds are what I seek. I would just get a 32-20, however I have a hard enough time finding 32-20 brass to form into 25-20 for my Win '92. The brass availability of 38 spec. and being able to use common dies to form and reload is very attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    Using BABore's 30-100 and 30-120 which he designed for the cartridge, I've had very good accuracy at moderate velocities. For a quiet, fun load, I love a 135-150 grain bullet over a mini charge of Bullseye. Very accurate and simply fun! Since I use a lot of the ammo for the 30 Badger, I personally prefer quiet, slow loads and the pistol bullets will give you a very economical round. The cost of the primer is a major part of the cartridge cost after forming the brass.
    I also prefer quiet and slow loadings as well. I would not need nor want high velocity from this cartridge. I think it would be a very miserly with mini charges of Bullseye like You mentioned.
    I will keep in touch as I may have other questions.

Thanks.
    Bones37

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by barrabruce View Post
    how does the martini cadet handle this case.
    thinking of a light walk around gun come casual bench rest .
    I'm dreaming of a 3/4 moa rifle with cast.
    any thoughts...
    I know mounting a scope so as to load can be a bit of a pain though.
    anyone ever handled one of those ea shaw rifles. they look good on the interweb.
    I built one Cadet chambered for 30 Badger. It works very well.

Scope mounting can be a problem as you say, but the old type Uertle (sp) mounts and similar scopes work very well also. Otherwise a fellow needs to create his own mount...not impossible...just time and brain cell intensive.

Benchrest shooting takes more dedication than I have available so I'll leave that to others to answer. I do shoot my 30 Badger off the bench some, but nowhere near actual benchrest type shooting for me. Small groups are fun for a few minutes to my brain.

Edd

Boolit Buddy
    Quick question here, talking about loading it to 32-20 specs got me to thinking... would a gun originally chambered to 32-20 take the pressure from this cartridge(even when"standard" loaded with the heavier bullets)?

I acquired two Remington Model 25 pump actions recently. Just finish restoring one as a 25-20, and have started on the other, getting ready to mount a 32 cal barrel to chamber for 32-20, but if I can get it to feed the 30 Badger, I have a 30 cal barrel I could mount instead and have a lot more shootin' and loadin' options for this gun... Basically, I'm wondering if the old Model 25 would stand up to the 30 badger pressures..

-Gary
    "Brass?" "Check." "Lead?" "Check." "Powder? ""Check." "Primers?" "Check." "Lube? ""Check." "Good.... Gun? ......... Gun?......." "ummm.... I'm soposed to have a gun?"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by G. Blessing View Post
    Quick question here, talking about loading it to 32-20 specs got me to thinking... would a gun originally chambered to 32-20 take the pressure from this cartridge(even when"standard" loaded with the heavier bullets)?

I acquired two Remington Model 25 pump actions recently. Just finish restoring one as a 25-20, and have started on the other, getting ready to mount a 32 cal barrel to chamber for 32-20, but if I can get it to feed the 30 Badger, I have a 30 cal barrel I could mount instead and have a lot more shootin' and loadin' options for this gun... Basically, I'm wondering if the old Model 25 would stand up to the 30 badger pressures..

-Gary
    I personally wouldn't rechamber a fine old mod. 25 to any other cartridge, but if it's to be rebarreled anyway, it might be a good choice. I think there's enough difference in cartridge diameters to cause problems though.

Another potential big problem is the breech bolt, the mod. 25 is kinda an overgrown mod. 12 and I've seen lots of those with the locking lug sheared off from hi-vel .22's. I'd stick with 32/20 myself...easier all around.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by roadie View Post
    I personally wouldn't rechamber a fine old mod. 25 to any other cartridge, but if it's to be rebarreled anyway, it might be a good choice. I think there's enough difference in cartridge diameters to cause problems though.

Another potential big problem is the breech bolt, the mod. 25 is kinda an overgrown mod. 12 and I've seen lots of those with the locking lug sheared off from hi-vel .22's. I'd stick with 32/20 myself...easier all around.
    thanks for the reply!
    Hmm, yes I should've seen if a 357 rim dia will even go through the mag tube/action bar...

Yes, it must be re-barreled regaurdless of cartridge/bore choices. This receiver had a 218 Bee barrel on it, which I removed as soon as I got it because it was only 15" long and technically illegal installed on the receiver.

I had figured that going back to 32-20 was best, to have a matched pair of the rifles in their original calibers would be fantastic. But a short .30 wildcat has been a dream for so long, its hard to pass up the idea without looking into it.

As to a breech bolt strength, I might end with one stronger than stock, but then again maybe not depending on what alloy steel I can get to work with... ((All I have now is a bare receiver and trigger guard. The one I just finished in 25-20 is Finally 99% complete, so I have all the parts to pattern off of; I am having to machine the entire action (short of a few small parts that numrich has) from scratch/from bar stock. )) Hmm. Safer not to risk ruining a Lot of custom work on a over powered cartridge though, I guess..

One can also run a .357 mag case into a .300 Blackout die to make rimmed .300 blackout.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast