Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: .30 Badger/.30 Reece

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike96 View Post
    Is 1:14 twist good for 80 to 110 grain bullet's? I've just started on the 30 badger kick and want to load to around 17,000 psi for a simple bolt action single shot using the bolt handle as the locking lug like on a 22mag or would that even be possible?

You know where that bolt body is gonna go if that bolt handle does not hold right? No way I would even consider that, twist rate will not matter much when you have a bolt body sticking out of your face/neck.

A 10 twist is much more appropriate for the speeds a 30Badger can create anyway. I have a 14 twist 30Herrett and I wish everyday that it was a 10 twist and I can drive that much harder than a 30X38 will ever be capable of. IMHO that whole slow twist/rpm thing is way overblown and does not even begin to come into play until you are talking at least double the speeds a 30Badger type cartridge is physically capable of delivering. If I wanted to shoot light bullets in a 30Badger I would choose a 9 or 10 twist as it matches the potential speeds much better.

My rifle is a 1:14 and pistol Is 1:10. They both work fine. Badger doesn't push them very fast.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Awesome little cartridge. Always enjoy reading about it. Thanks, fellows!

Boolit Buddy
    Does anyone have loading data that Reece used to provide with his dies?

Thanks

BTW MGM told me they now have a Badger reamer and are building me a custom barrel.

Boolit Bub
    Update on the 30 Badger. MGM is now offering it for chambering in their Contender and Encore barrels for those interested. If you can't do the work yourself, or know someone that can, it is a better alternative to a stub barrel.

Boolit Master
    Has anyone built a .30 badger on a Marlin 1894 action? Would the necked case design have a chance of feeding correctly?
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I think there was a guy in Michigan that converted a lever rifle , I don't know the brand though . Shouldn't be impossible after all the 38WCF ran in a lever rifle .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

this thread gave me the idea with the 300 BO reamer and the 360 DW brass .This turned out not so very bad on my martini with a 24" 14-8 GT barrel .Did shoot it a dozen rounds yesterday to out on paper ,off hand but -23 and windy was not a nice day

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Days like that make you appreciate summer .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Buddy
    Hmmmm how about a 1892 marlin action , yes I'm talking old pre 1894 black powder receiver the chamber pressure is thetgere

Moderator Emeritus

Case capacity of my Badger is 0.1 Gr less water than 32-30. Keep the pressures the same it should work. The advantage of the ss is the length of the bullet you are able to use.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Bub
    Match Grade Machine now lists the 30Badger on their Contender/Encore chamber list.

Boolit Buddy
    I am refreshing an old thread now that I have stubbed a 30cal barrel onto my H&R and chambered it 30 Badger. I'm enjoying the past conversations and appreciate having this data available.

Thanks, Dinny
    Last edited by Dinny; 07-23-2023 at 08:51 PM.
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

Great news! I hope the reamer worked out well for you.
    You got me interested in playing with the Badger recently. I found a box of Lee 100 grain roundnose bullets designed for the 32 S&W long and I sized them to .308" and tumble lubed. They shoot great over 2.6 grains of Bullseye as a backyard plinking load. That is a .3cc Lee dipper so easy to load. What twist did you end up going with?

Boolit Buddy
    The reamer cut my chamber like a hot knife through butter. It's sharp and the flutes are wide enough chips don't bind up.

My barrel is twisted 1:10".

Did you ever find a crimp die that worked well? The Lee 30 Mauser die doesn't work as well as I prefer. I resorted to using the seat die to crimp a few dummy rounds instead.

Thanks, Dinny
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

Since they are used in a single shot, I never bothered to try to put a crimp on them. Just seat and shoot. If you wanted to, I'd think that either making your own version of a Lee collet crimp die or recutting a 32 long die after annealing it would both work. Another thought, maybe be able to shorten a 30 cal rifle die like 30-30 to do that? Have to look at drawings and see what makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinny View Post
    The reamer cut my chamber like a hot knife through butter. It's sharp and the flutes are wide enough chips don't bind up.

My barrel is twisted 1:10".

Did you ever find a crimp die that worked well? The Lee 30 Mauser die doesn't work as well as I prefer. I resorted to using the seat die to crimp a few dummy rounds instead.

Thanks, Dinny
    Make a new collet pusher for the Lee FCD collet. Just a length change based on the difference between the Badger and Mauser. Made a few of them when we were developing the round.

There ya go! That makes the most sense.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a noob machinist but I bet I could figure that out. It will be a fun little lathe project.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345