Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: .30 Badger/.30 Reece

.30 Badger/.30 Reece

Would someone talk to me about these two cartridges? I just discovered them in my reading here and I am VERY intrigued.
    Kind of a rimmed .300 BLK Short. I recently got another lathe to replace the one I burned out (motor fried) and I am seriously considering a barrel stub project for a single shot.
    This would be great!
    Where does one get dies and data? I'm betting Manson could cut a reamer without issue?

Thanks for the help fellas.

In Remembrance

The 30 Badger is so named for its creator from here on the boolets site "badgeredd". It is simply a necked down .38 Spcl case with a light powder charge behind a 130 gr. (?) cast boolet. Edd made up this round on H&R single shots using a .30 cal. piece of barrel welded into a shotgun barrel stub then re-doing the extractor. It is a real fun gun to shoot and a perfect trainer style gun.Robert

I'm given to understand all one needs to size the case is a Tokarev sizer.
    Is this basically a long necked, rimmed 7,62x25??

Anyone who has one and could post a picture, I'd be most appreciative.

Curious, what do ya'll reckon the chamber pressure runs on this little guy?
    Reason I ask, we know not to put rifle cartridges on shotgun receivers BUT H&R does useshotgun receivers for .357 and .44 magnum. Would i be safe running this on a shotgun receiver?
    .410's are a dime a dozen around here.

Boolit Master

I was just playing with my 300 BLK sizer on a 357 Magnum case last weekend and made a dummy round using the same thought process. On a 357 Magnum case, its almost a complete clone of a Rimmed 300BLK and I would consider it an outstanding rabbit and squirrel roller.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    Curious, what do ya'll reckon the chamber pressure runs on this little guy?
    Reason I ask, we know not to put rifle cartridges on shotgun receivers BUT H&R does useshotgun receivers for .357 and .44 magnum. Would i be safe running this on a shotgun receiver?
    .410's are a dime a dozen around here.
    I decided 35K PSI was a good limit for it. Any more than that and the primers start getting loose. I usually hold it at about 28K, according to Quickload.

You can use 7.62 Tok data, but if you use heavy bullets the pressures start going up quickly and 0.1 grain of powder can make a big difference. Just like a 22 Hornet, you have to work up very carefully. For heavy bullets, Lil' Gun it tops. For light ones, say 120gr. and lower you can start using some faster powders. Blue Dot and 2400 work well. For really light stuff, of course any of the fast flake powders work fine just don't go trying to get high speeds out of them.

-Nobade

I would like to get Lee's 113g flat point gas check bullet up to around 1400 fps accurately.
    16.5" barrel turned to about the same profile as the factory .410 barrel is the direction I'd like to go. Very light and easy to use.

So funny; I JUST posted I wanted to use the Lee C309-113-F.
    Well, I bought that mold two weeks ago. It was horribly undersize and outta round. Sent it back.
    Just opened my mail box a few minutes ago and my brand new on is here. Kudos Lee!

I think this could be a great boolit and cartridge combo. Subsonic loads would take small game cleanly without destroying meat. Full bore loads could take deer given proper shot placement at short range.

Boolit Master

Ask and ye shall receive!

Second from right, 30 Badger.

Contender with 10" barrel.

H&R ... next three pictures ... barrel inserted into a stubbed shotgun barrel.

Bullets I have shot in various guns in the 30 Badger.

Star Rolling Block in 30 Badger.

The idea was to make a SIMPLE, cheap to load, fun cartridge that is miserly on powder and lead. Unlike the 30 Reece, no special dies are needed, off the shelf 30 Mauser or 7.62x25 Tok dies work well with an added 38/357Mag sizer occasionally to size the main body. The 30 Reece and the 30 Badger are essentially the same length cartridge, but I spec'ed out the 30 Badger to use 38 Special brass (cheap) with no initial trimming. The trim length is 1.165" and was spec'ed that length when I ordered the reamer.

Nobade is the one person I know of here that ordered his reamer for his build/builds (?) from the same reamer maker I had one made by, Dave Manson here in Michigan.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master

By the way, one can use 32-20 data for loads in the 30 Badger. As Nobade said, I'd limit the pressures to 35K psi due to the firearms and the cartridge brass. The cartridge was not intended by myself to be a barn burner, just a fun, cheap to shoot, plinker and small game cartridge. There is no reason to be concerned about the modest pressure in appropriate firearms. I would also suggest if one builds a 30 Badger on a shotgun action that they bush the firing pin or use a modern small diameter firing pin donor action. The last will preclude primer flow at reasonable 35K range pressures.

Edd

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Awesome!
    i love that roller.

I have ordered from Manson before. They make top notch tooling.
    Thanks for posting, I think I'm about to start making chips on me a .30 Badger Handi Rifle.

In Remembrance

As I recall in conversations with Edd about this cartridge and the possibalities of something "bigger and faster". Edd said there were other friends of his wanting such a cartridge, but using .357 Mag. pistol brass for more powder capacity and velociety besides the use of light "J" bullets . Don`t know if any such animal ever saw light of day through Edd. The down side of having this cartridge and a firearm, as I found out, is you`ll need a gallon jug of ammo after you fire the first shot to satisfy your "giggle" effect!Robert

Last time I saw Dave Manson we talked about options on the 30 Badger. He suggested having the reamer made without a rim, so you could run it in as far as you felt like. You could use up to 357 max cases, and in a Contender or other single shot just make the rim cut with a boring bar. This would also allow you to use .223 cases if you wanted to, or any of the shorter versions of it. That would make a very versatile reamer! I think at some point I may get him to grind up one like that so I had both.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    what is a big bullet load then.
    150-180's load.
    thinking of mainly PB shooting mostly of the breach or self seating type loads for accurate shooting with out having to size anything.any100 % loads...

thinking of a light weight target/hunting rifle.
    is it throated with a 1.5deg forcing cone?

thanks in advance

Just out of curiosity, reckon how difficult it'd be to build a revolver in is caliber on say, a S&W .357 donor?

In Remembrance

Just out of curiosity, reckon how difficult it'd be to build a revolver in is caliber on say, a S&W .357 donor?
    It`s all been on single shot shotgun recievers that I am aware of. Off the top of my head for a revolver to see the light of day it would require a .30 cal. barrel then a cylinder custom timed plus custom bored for the cartridge case then bored for the .30 cal. exit face besides the shoulder angle. These are just off the top of my head with other things to consider I`m sure. In other words this is a problem for Hamilton Bowen to ponder over.

At one time there was a request made to Edd for the .357 Maximum case to be used for the parent case. I don`t think Edd really gave this request a lot of serious thought.Robert

Might check the length but it may be easy to rechamber a 30 Carbine Blackhawk for it.

-Nobade

Boolit Master

Here's my newest 30 Badger firearm.

It can be added to a Martini Cadet, the Star Roller above, three other Contender barrels (pistol length), and a shorted bolt action single shot in the works.

Edd

P.S. I question whether the cartridge would be useful in a revolver. It may work fine, but bottle necked cartridges haven't had a good track record in revolver in the past.
    Last edited by badgeredd; 10-19-2014 at 08:58 AM.

This is my newest 30 Badger rifle - started out as a 22 Hornet and had Delta Gun Shop rebore it to 30 cal, 1:14 twist.

-Nobade
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R1_20140904_039.jpg  

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    This is my newest 30 Badger rifle - started out as a 22 Hornet and had Delta Gun Shop rebore it to 30 cal, 1:14 twist.

-Nobade
    Pretty rifle Nobabe. I'd guess you're enjoying the little cartridge then if you put it into such a nice quality firearm.

Edd

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast