RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .30 Badger/.30 Reece

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richbug View Post
    You think 7/8-14 is adequate?
    For what barrel stub?

It would be too large for a Contender Stub.. 11/16" is the maximum you can use in a Contender as the outside diameter of a Contender is .810" or so.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    For what barrel stub?

It would be too large for a Contender Stub.. 11/16" is the maximum you can use in a Contender as the outside diameter of a Contender is .810" or so.

Edd
    NEF handi

I guess if 11/16 is enough for a Contender, I initially considered 3/4", but wasn't sure. 7/8" would be into overkill area, where I generally like to be.

http://wedealinlead.net/forum/viewto...6873&start=260

They work for more than "rook rifle" duty
    Sic Semper Tyrranis

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	139128

More fun than a barrel of monkeys,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Reviving old threads guys ?? I think this one was started before I got my number one converted from .270 into a .30 Badger ....... I don't think mine looks as good as Nobade's rifle though .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Yeah that’s a nice one for sure.
    I still want Edd’s rolling block. I’m hoping he leaves me that in his will.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Thanks guys, maybe some day I'll get it polished out and reblued so it looks good close up too! Recently I have been treating it like like a big 22lr, shooting 150gr. Plainbase loverin bullets over 2.1gr. unique. That's about as cheap shooting as is possible, and it does great in our cast bullet silhouette match. Oh, I put an old Weaver K3 scope on it too, finally something I can slide back far enough to get proper eye relief without climbing the stock.

Do you guys know if MGM can do 30 badger Encore barrels?
    I love guns, tacos, and lead. I use the guns. The guns eat lead. And I eat tacos. I make videos about the first 2 things.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/fullleadtaco

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by full.lead.taco View Post
    Do you guys know if MGM can do 30 badger Encore barrels?
    I have an MGM Encore barrel chambered for 221 Fireball/rimmed which is actually .300 AAC/Blackout with a rim, or very similar to the 30 Badger on the .357 Magnum case. I use 360 Dan Wesson brass and trim to .300AAC length for excellent results.
    MGM barrels are very accurate in my opinion (I have 2 of them) and priced right compared to anything from T/C performance Shop.

Moderator Emeritus

I know of a 30 Badger done on a 30 cal MGM blank bbl cut with a 30 B reamer. It shoots well.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

MGM doesn't offer a 30 Badger, but the 30 Reece is pretty much the same thing. I use 38 special brass in mine and it shoots a treat. As far as I know (correct me) The Badger uses a 38 special case and the Reece uses a shortened .357 mag case.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Threads like this make me drool a LOT.Wish I had the funds to get one built.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by curator View Post
    I have an MGM Encore barrel chambered for 221 Fireball/rimmed which is actually .300 AAC/Blackout with a rim, or very similar to the 30 Badger on the .357 Magnum case. I use 360 Dan Wesson brass and trim to .300AAC length for excellent results.
    MGM barrels are very accurate in my opinion (I have 2 of them) and priced right compared to anything from T/C performance Shop.
    I had Virgin Valley build me one back in 1999. Its marked 300-221R. Its a neat cartridge. Some what of a pain to make cases.

Boolit Grand Master
    When I looked into this the numbers went south for me. By the time I added up the cost of a donor action, barrel, reamers, gunsmithing, and a new mold it was difficult to justify. I started looking at the Henry carbine in .327.

If you have some of the bits and pieces, can find reamers to rent, and/or the skill to do the work, it is a interesting option.

In the end, even the Henry numbers were prohibitive. My cheap plinking load is 2.7 gr of powder under a 125-130 gr bullet in .38 Spl cases. A child can shoot it and I have three rifles and two pistols that run it. Gearing up to add another caliber made little practical sense.

Yet, I admire the work you guys have done. There is something neat about this little baby.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Don, I am aware of accurate charges with 1/2 of your 38 load. If it were $$ savings it would take centuries to pay for but boy are light plinkers fun.
    Last edited by MT Gianni; 04-02-2018 at 05:28 PM.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Absolutely correct. The 30 Badger has a longer neck and slightly less case capacity.

Matter of fact, when we started working up the 30 Badger I had interest in the 30 Reece, but the idea of trimming every case to length and special dies changed my mind. For that reason I continued with the idea of using 38 Special brass and 30 Mauser dies to form and load the 30 Badger.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Don, I am aaware of accurate charges with 1/2 of your 38 load. If it were $$ savings it would take centuries to pay for but boy are light plinkers fun.
    I agree!!

I shoot more of those mousephart .38 loads in my rifles than ANYTHING. They are accurate and just plain fun. Cost is low and I can produce 6-700/hr on the 1050 without any heroics. My fiancé loves shooting them. She can shoot a couple of hundred a session in a T-shirt and not get a bruised shoulder. She feels like she is shooting a “real” rifle instead of .22’s. The only downside she sees is having to pick up the brass. LOL.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    Absolutely correct. The 30 Badger has a longer neck and slightly less case capacity.

Matter of fact, when we started working up the 30 Badger I had interest in the 30 Reece, but the idea of trimming every case to length and special dies changed my mind. For that reason I continued with the idea of using 38 Special brass and 30 Mauser dies to form and load the 30 Badger.

Edd
    Not having to trim brass was what attracted me to your design. It is brilliant. Plus I had quite a supply of .38 cases.... and for plinking....less is more!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    Oh my this peaks my interest greatly.

Got to save this reading for later.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Is 1:14 twist good for 80 to 110 grain bullet's? I've just started on the 30 badger kick and want to load to around 17,000 psi for a simple bolt action single shot using the bolt handle as the locking lug like on a 22mag or would that even be possible?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast