Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Remington Model 12?

Boolit Master

Remington Model 12?

A friend of mine asked me if I was interested in a pump .22LR that he had. Some guy gave it to his grandpa in trade for carpentry work and it's been sitting in the corner ever since. Regular patina, thin bluing, definitely been around the block. Someone D&T'd the left side of the barrel near the rear sight - looks like for a scope base or a rear peep? Original sight with elevation screw is on the gun with original front sight. Here's the catch - someone has been dry-firing the heck out of it - the firing pin has "peened" the chamber and raised a burr on the breech face. I filed off the burr very carefully and it will chamber a round, but struggle to eject because the chamber isn't perfectly round. This thing operates like a fine watch - I fell in love with it right away! The bore is bright and shiny with strong rifling and I shot a 1" group off-hand with iron sights at 25 yds with CCI sub-sonic ammo, so it looks like a winner in the shooting department. I just have to get the chamber cleaned up. Open to suggestions. Any other Model 12 owners out there? It will be the next step in the .22LR game for my 11 y/o daughter. She learned with a very light Crickett .22LR and enjoys that gun, but wants a repeater. This one feels like it may be just the ticket - though I enjoy shooting it very much! Chamber suggestions welcome!!!
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Boolit Grand Master
    Chambers can be fixed, or the barrel relined.

I have a Model 12 that needs relining, it was shot with a lot of corrosive primed or BP Shorts and not cleaned before I bought it. Still fairly accurate, but the case expands so much it is a problem to get it to extract; Shorts are tough, LR are practically impossible. One of these years I will get it done.

I would have loved to upgrade to one when I was eleven.

Robert

Robert

In Remembrance

Expansion alone shouldn't keep it from ejecting. I would try smoothing the chamber.

Boolit Master
    Recommendations for smoothing the chamber?

Filing the dry-firing burr off was a bad move, as metal was removed from the barrel/chamber, instead of using the proper swedging tool ( $22 @ Brownell's) to iron the metal back into the chamber wall it came from.

I'm thinking that the barrel will need to be relined.

Boolit Master
    pietro - thank you for that idea! There was no swedging back in what I took off with a file - I just took off the sharp lip of the burr. Believe me, I'm not stupid enough to try to make a smooth, round chamber with a relatively rough file by hand and I've been trying to figure out how to bring that chamber back into round without removing metal. I'll be placing an order for that tool - I didn't know they existed.

Boolit Master
    And I may be revealing my ignorance, but I'm okay with that - Why would this result in having to reline the bore?

Quote Originally Posted by selmerfan View Post
    And I may be revealing my ignorance, but I'm okay with that - Why would this result in having to reline the bore?

Filing, instead of swedging, removes metal from the chamber wall, and can possibly result in an out-of-round chamber.

The filed-off/missing metal of course cannot be put back, nor can the chamber be sized smaller & reworked - making a reline less expensive than obtaining another (hen's tooth) Model 12 barrel in excellent condition.

Hopefully the filing you describe wasn't too much to be cured with the swedging tool.

Boolit Master

have the barrel set back a turn, and rechambered- problem solved. i agree, you should not have filed off the burr/lip that was the result of dry firing, that is what the little chamber ironing tool would have forced back into place.

Boolit Master
    No, it's still out of round. The tool will take care of it-I'm not too concerned about it.

Boolit Buddy
    Doubtful that the tool will do anything to help, the metal is gone.

Were it mine, ( I have 3 Mod. 12's ) I would shoot it to check the accuracy, and if it was good just have the chamber bushed. If it doesn't shoot good now, then reline it, but I wouldn't bore out a good barrel with just a gimped chamber.

Bushing a .22 chamber isn't that hard, you can even use a piece of liner to do it.

Boolit Master
    Well, here's the good news. The chamber is fine - it's not the hang up. The slide lock is not releasing after the hammer goes forward - that's the hang up problem. Back to the drawing board...