Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: I guess I'm asking an age old question????

Boolit Mold

I guess I'm asking an age old question????

Hello All.

Well I am looking for some advise, opinion, pro's & con's

I am looking for a new rifle to add to the stable, I have a few in mind.

1. Marlin 336 in .35 Remington $449.95
    2. Savage 116 in SS .30-06 with their adjustable muzzle brake. $380.00
    3. Savage 111 in 7mm Magnum $375.00

So here is the question..... I really want a .35 Remington rifle, There are the factory ammo issues but I reload and Grumpa has some very reasonable brass. I currently own a .30-06 Blued with a detachable box mag great rifle, But how many .30-06 can one guy have???? I have always wanted a 7mm Magnum I have several magnums now and a 7mm is a great round and would fit nicely in the stable and the price is a steal @ $375.00

The 06 and the 7mm meet my ammo availability rule (Must be able to find anywhere and at a discount store for basic ie. rounds Remington, Winchester, Federal basic ammo)

The .35 Remington has the above mentioned issues but I do reload and if I build up enough brass I am good. And there is just something about a lever gun..

So I am in this conundrum what to get??? Buy one put one in lay a way??? (All purchases are of a covert nature) Wife has some weird notion that I own to many firearms.....

So any opinions thoughts, Pro's Con's etc.

Thanks for looking and any advise that may be offered.

Boolit Grand Master

Life's too short. Get what you want. If it's a 35, get a 35.

In Remembrance
    Like you said, there is something about a lever. lol

I have kind of had the same problem the last couple of days, from a couple of members on a different forum.
    One has a savage 116 in 338 mag. Which I don't need.
    One has a marlin 444. Which I don't need, but at least I don't already have one. lol
    Both are at decent prices. The purpose of the savage would be a gift, the marlin would just be because I don't have one I guess. So far I haven't made up my mine on one, both or none.

Your mind seems to be made up, get the 35. You didn't say what you would use it for, though.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen.

With that said, I don't care for muzzle breaks on rifles.

I also do not believe you will ever be able to see a real difference in the field between the .30-06 and the 7mm Remington Magnum.

The Marlin in .35 Remington is a very capable gun, but if you load it to its potential in a Marlin, it isn't a lot of fun to shoot all afternoon.

I am pretty much a one gun one load type of guy, that way I can pick up a rifle and know it will hit where it is aimed without thinking "where does this thing shoot with this load?" (My .30-06 has stayed zeroed with WW 150gr Power Points for about 25 years now.)

You have the long range potential covered with your present '06, the .35 can be a close-ish range gun. Brass is available, it could take some searching and waiting, but it can be found.

One thing you didn't mention, what scope is on the Savages, if any?

I would pick the .35 in this case.

Robert

In Remembrance
    Globism has 800 rounds of 35 rem brass in the swap and sell right now. That would at least get a guy started. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet8542 View Post
    But how many .30-06 can one guy have????
    five at last count. Thats why they call me Mr Odd Six. I loves everyone, along time joe

Now back to your question...... The Marlin
    Its worth more than the other two, both as a shooter and as a collector

Them savages tend to be long throated, like the remmies of old. Too much cost to makem into extra fine shootin machines
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Mold
    Well I came home with the Marlin it is a JM Marlin 336 great wood and the finish is great, Found some Hogdon H4198 and some Hornady 200 gr. Interlocks and off to the PO tomorrow for some of Grumpa's .35 Remington brass and I am on my way.

Thanks for all the wise words, When I was looking at the 7mm I noticed that there were 15 of them so if I want one I will still probably be able pick one up.
    I might take another look at the Savage 06 it intrigues me for some reason and I am with you I have never been a fan of muzzle breaks...Except on my Barrett it is a must.

Boolit Master

At the end of the day your the only one who can decide what is best for you. Sounds like you made a decision and I will say the right decision because it is what you wanted. I shot a nice buck last year with my Marlin 35 using the great RCBS 35-200 FN boolit. I know you can do the same if you like and also that you will have a ton of fun just shooting the 35 Remington. Don't overlook the cast 38/357 boolits that work just dandy for plinking. I have shot many 158 gr SWC in the 35 Remington and for not much money in ammo costs.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    Did you say you really wanted and were thinking about waiting for a nice used JM 336 in 30 WCF?