Reloading EverythingWidenersPBcastcoRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: !!!Read This First - Post Your Questions Here!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not sure this is the right place for this. Anyway, it is very interesting you asked this question. I logged in to my account to ask basically the same question. It seems like the guys shooting HV use some kind of lube. I currently powder coat, actually I never did a traditional lube. I powder coated for my 9mm and for my 45-70. It worked great for that application. However, in my 358 Winchester I want to push cast pretty hard. It is a Mauser action and figure I can. I was thinking that using a traditional lube might make the process easier??? I have heard high praise for Felix lube. So I really do not have any answers for you, I just want to see some response to this!!

Boolit Buddy
    For what its worth, I did have very good success with powder coating, especially in my 45-70. I just never ran any cast over 1650 fps.

Boolit Buddy

I just started powder coating a short while ago, and haven't thrown my lube away yet. Probably won't any time soon. First results at 50 yards have been great, in three 45-70's and a "not your average" 03A3. I can shoot farther, but the snow is knee deep, and almost waist deep in places. Those pretty bullets will just have to wait for warmer weather, to stretch their legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jevyod View Post
    I'm not sure this is the right place for this. Anyway, it is very interesting you asked this question. I logged in to my account to ask basically the same question. It seems like the guys shooting HV use some kind of lube. I currently powder coat, actually I never did a traditional lube. I powder coated for my 9mm and for my 45-70. It worked great for that application. However, in my 358 Winchester I want to push cast pretty hard. It is a Mauser action and figure I can. I was thinking that using a traditional lube might make the process easier??? I have heard high praise for Felix lube. So I really do not have any answers for you, I just want to see some response to this!!
    Haha, I thought the same thing before posting as I probably should have posted this in the alternate Lube section but I figured that would be more for a "how to" than an actual poll. Oh well... I'm sure someone will get agitated at the question...

Quote Originally Posted by Jevyod View Post
    There is a guy in the Alternate lube section stating he uses industrial floor polish with great results... Hmm?

I'm cheap. I don't use lino but I like to shoot rifle. I started with LLA, Recluse, veggie oil - no I'm not buying a lube machine. HiTek or PC works fine for me, is inexpensive, clean, low smoke, accurate, etc. I have not found it to replace a proper alloy.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I am 110% PC now. Used to be pan lube......then 45/45/10. All gone. Only PC now. And softer alloys!

I rarely push cast beyond 1600 anyway!

banger

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I am 110% PC now. Used to be pan lube......then 45/45/10. All gone. Only PC now. And softer alloys!

I rarely push cast beyond 1600 anyway!

banger
    If I can push rifle boolits the way some say it can be done with 2 coats of powder coating I will never purchase another J word again. Kind of the point anyway.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Gotta watch the hind end! PC is not a substitute for a Cu gas check. You could still get gas cutting that will go thru PC on the back end.....possibly. I just would GC anything for full rifle/sonic loads to be safe.

Even if you do apply 2 coats of PC, your sizing die will still squeeze back to the nominal diameter of the die. I only do ONE coat, either BBDT or ESPC.

banger

Vendor Sponsor

I am up to 1903 fps with 308 147 HP's and 50/50/2 pc'ed and 2200 fps with 98/2.
    Pc'ed lino will get me 2500 fps
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Although I haven't ditched my lubri-sizer yet, it definitely isn't getting used much.

My success with PC has been really great.......so far. I've tried the airsoft BB tumble dance and the HF and Craftsman sprayer route. Both work but tumbling is way easier and less equipment intensive.

Most of my stuff is in the 800-1600fps range. I've got a bunch of .358 Winchester loaded up for testing which should push the envelope a bit more.

Just waitin' on the time to do it.......
    There are precious few horror films that couldn't be cut well short by a single loaded 12 gauge and someone with the sense to use it. -- K.R. Murphy

Boolit Buddy
    John Paul Jones did his casting in a zeppelin, til the tinsel fairy came to visit. Covered the whole craft with lead. JPJ called it Led Zeppelin, [was not the best speller in the world].= Best I could do on short notice.

Boolit Master

I'll bet that went over like a lead balloon!

Boolit Master
    like a screen submarine.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    I am up to 1903 fps with 308 147 HP's and 50/50/2 pc'ed and 2200 fps with 98/2.
    Pc'ed lino will get me 2500 fps
    I'm lost what is 50/50/2 and 98/2? Some kind of lead alloy?
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 62chevy View Post
    I'm lost what is 50/50/2 and 98/2? Some kind of lead alloy?
    50 % pure lead 50 % clip on wheel weights and 2% Hi Speed babbit (for the copper ) yes that's more than 100% its just easier to state it that way
    98/2 is 98% Clip on Wheel weights and 2% HSB

50 % pure lead 50 % clip on wheel weights and 2% Hi Speed babbit (for the copper ) yes that's more than 100% its just easier to state it that way
    This is one thing that I have read many times but will take some hands on research. Running softer lead with the Powder coat seeings the powder coat acts more like a jacket. I would imagine with a GC on your 98/2 could be run up there near the slower J words.

Vendor Sponsor

I actually Stopped testing at those speeds because hunting season was approaching and I had very good accuracy there ..
    with more time this spring and summer I hope to try several other powders and see how fast I can really go before accuracy fades

Boolit Master

Thanks Smoke. Was thinking something like that just not the Hi Speed Babbitt.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Vendor Sponsor

62chevy
    I feel fairly certain you could get close to the same speed using 2% tin. The copper just helps hold the hollow points together better. They mushroom better and don't shed the nose as easily
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 02-24-2015 at 08:02 PM.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast