Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Czech Rep. VZ-58

Boolit Bub

Czech Rep. VZ-58

A friend just picked up a Czech Rep. VZ-58. It bears resemblance to a AK-47 but it appears no AK type rifle parts. Anybody out there have any experience with one? Both of us have done some research on it, but as yet we haven't done any series shooting.

Boolit Master

I know john conner the writer for Guns magazine is very found of them but have no working hands on experience.

Boolit Buddy
    They are an improved AK. The Czech's took the AK, and made it better.
    Father, fool, friend.

Boolit Master

The vz58 is NOT a AK, gas and locking system totally different. It only resembles a AK like a Trans AM and Mustang are automobliles. I don't have any experience with the current semi auto rifles as my experience with them have all been with select fire versions recovered in Iraq.

Great shooting rifles, uses a tilt locking block system like the German P38 pistol or Beretta M9/92 pistol. Controlable on full auto, lighter weight mags (aluminum) but different locking tab then the AK so not interchangeable, only the ammo is. Stocks are where the design can be improved in my opition. Fix stock the wrist is thin and the folder stock could be more rigid, but still serviceable.

vz58 is last rifle up front behind the Yugo SKS and near the front is a vz52/56 (7.62x39mm) semi auto only Czech rifle equivant to the SKS.

CD
    Last edited by Combat Diver; 10-12-2014 at 05:35 AM.
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master

Czech Rep. VZ-58

Have one love it. Another interesting tidbit is that it's striker fired.
    Same reliability as an AK. Never had a hiccup. The ejection port is gigantic.
    About the same accuracy as the AK.
    The Czech government king of sang their own song when it came to firearms. I find that intriguing.

Oh. Look up vz2008 it's the commercial version. Some good info to be had there too.

Boolit Master
    PM Armoredman,
    He has been shooting his for years.

one of my favorite guns to shoot ..
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Master
    I have four of them and I have ZERO AK's, all milled and a pound lighter. I have a hard time getting my fat head down in sights with the fixed stock, other three are folders and falls perfect. Mine are all Czech, two were bought complete and two parts kits I built on Czech receivers. Ohio receivers seem OK, Century VZ2008= **** shoot IMHO your money. The story was back then, no importation of high-cap select blah, blah, blah. They were imported as 10 round single stack sporters and opened up to accept the 30 round original mags. They are 100% exact to select fire dimensionally everything except for internal wall ID's of receiver. The installation of 922r compliant parts addresses this issue. Fine weapon!

The part of Texas that has Gators and Spanish Moss instead of Longhorns and Cactus...
    Excellent weapons, even the VZ2008, Century built versions seem to be quite good.
    I've got two and both are considerably more accurate than the AK's I've fired. Oddly enough, both of mine have .308 bores, even though they're both fairly recent production.

The barrels seem to be of good quality and are supposedly manufactured by Green Mountain, but they're definitely .308, not .310.
    They're also not chrome lined like the more expensive Czechpoint versions are.

On the plus side, the Century built guns have all steel trigger parts while the Czechpoint weapons use US made plastic fcg parts for 922r compliance.
    7.62 NATO, It's kinda like 5.56 NATO, but for men...