Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's Get Back to Basics

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I became enamored with the 310 about ten years ago. A friend came back from a gun show with a set of the universal handles and dies for .303 Brit and 7 x 57 Mauser....gave them to me as a gift (it cost him $12 for everything). I didn't use them for some time because I didn't know how......until the advent of the internet. I've located one more set of 30-06 handles and probably eight more sets of dies in the old military calibers.

My standard "range and field" kit consists of 310 handles, dies, extra decapping pins (necessary!), one pound of powder, 200 primers and about 250-400 cast, lubed and sized boolits. I adjust the dies before leaving for the field but also include a small hollow ground screwdriver in case more adjustments are needed. All of it fits easily into a .50 caliber ammo can. All I need is my fired brass and I can sit around camp in the evening reloading while my companions are counting how many of those expensive "store bought" cartridges they have left. Oh, they usually give me their fired brass......suckers.

The reason for the extra decapping pins? When used correctly, the pins last a long time. However, the tool handle is swinging in an arc which forces the pin to bend.......ever so slightly.......and then bend back again. I usually adjust the die so that it barely pops out the fired primer and no more. They're tough little pins but they ARE little, so hence the spares when afield.
    Last edited by 3006guns; 10-10-2014 at 11:40 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Like many others, I started out with a lee Loader back in the early '80's but haven't used one for years now. The 310 is a different story. I absolutely love these tools and have since buying my first set thirty years ago. Although I have modern tools, I simply get immense enjoyment using the old ones.
    For decapping and priming I generally leave the press alone and reach for the 310, and I also like to load with it.
    The Lee dippers are another thing I wouldn't be without.
    I also found a very nice Tru-line Junior but don't even use it, preferring the tong tool.
    Sometimes old and slow aren't so bad after all.....

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Boy I love "310" threads . . . and shame on you all . . . YOU ARE A BAD INFLUENCE ON OTHERS!

I got "bitten" by the 310 bug a couple of months ago after sitting on the sidelines for quite a while and just musing and admiring the 310 tools. I took the plunge, purchased a set of 38/357 view with an alloy handle - tried it - and was "smitten" with the whole process. I'm old and I like doing things "the old way" at times - very relaxing and enjoyable!

Since I purchased my first set - I've been able to assemble two sets of steel 38 tongs - one marked 38 and one marked 38/357 as well as sever die sets. I was able to put a set of dies together to reload my 38 Colt Shorts & Longs as well as one set for 38/357. I've been using them for reloading BP cartridges and really liking it.

From there - I ran across a set of 30-06 steel tongs and dies in a nice old Ideal box. I don't load/shoot 30-06 but will hang on to them as I may at some point. I'm using the 30-06 steel tongs with a set of 8mm Mauser dies I was able to "assemble" over time to shoot in my WW I Mauser that a distant relative brought back in 1919. Using the 310 set for that just seems "appropriate".

THEN . . . I've always liked the 30/30 cartridge - used to deer hunt with my father-in-law's old Winchester 94 many years ago. I ran across a set of Ideal steel 30/30 tongs so they had to come home with me and I ended up buying a new set of dies for that. I'm kind of going about it "bass-akwards" as I don't have a 30/30 rifle - but have finally accumulated everything to cast and load for one - so I'm looking.

So you see - you ALL really are a "bad influence" on others! Like a lot of others, I'm trying to get my bench organized to where I can have room enough to "spread out" with the 310 tool to play. For me, it's not about "quantity" . . . it's about the great satisfaction I feel when I squeeze those tongs and then pull out a "hand loaded" cartridge that I made from bullets that I've cast. For some reason, when I chamber those rounds, they just seem to "shoot a little sweeter".

I really appreciate the great "310 threads" and reading all of the information the members here share as it's opened up a whole ne aspect of reloading for me that I wish I had discovered years ago! A big "thank you" to you all!

Boolit Grand Master
    More, more! You guys are doing fine. From other posts in this forum, I was beginning to feel awful lonely. I guess it has been a case of "those who can load with 310 tools do, those who can't write about other stuff!" I wonder whether Lyman could be persuaded to expand their line of dies once again, or whether we are all going to be left searching for old dies or looking for custom and semi-custom stuff. I'm still looking for that 32-20 MR die (hint, hint! )

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

L.i.l.

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    Long Inside Lubricated. The mould should have a hollow base pin attached to it and be a nose pour.
    Bent R: Thanks. Bought it for $25.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    More, more! ............ I wonder whether Lyman could be persuaded to expand their line of dies once again, or whether we are all going to be left searching for old dies or looking for custom and semi-custom stuff. I'm still looking for that 32-20 MR die (hint, hint! )

Froggie
    Have you found "The 310 Store" on the Internet?

Best Regards,
    chev. William

the 310 store is fairly well stocked -- but then so is tiffanys.

Boolit Master
    For bullet seating in .22 Hornet & .222 Rem. I use an even older type of seater..though mine is quite modern..the straight-line seater. This type pre-dates the Ideal Mfg. Co. by quite a few years..Sharps made this type of loading tool for their rifles.
    Mine is a Wilson chamber type seater with Sinclair micrometer adjustable top. I find I can seat both jacket & cast using palm of hand.

Boolit Master
    quick story here. My first reloading set was a lee loader for 30-30. then some mini-14 bug bit me, got a lee loader for that. learned an aweful lot about the loading practices of semi-auto reloading. you needed a small base sizer die for the brass. stuck the 2nd loaded round firmly in the chamber(jambed good and tight). destroyed 4 good cleaning rods getting that round unstuck. went to rcbs... never looked back.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    quick story here. My first reloading set was a lee loader for 30-30. then some mini-14 bug bit me, got a lee loader for that. learned an aweful lot about the loading practices of semi-auto reloading. you needed a small base sizer die for the brass. stuck the 2nd loaded round firmly in the chamber(jambed good and tight). destroyed 4 good cleaning rods getting that round unstuck. went to rcbs... never looked back.

Yes, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another gun. Most semi-autos tend to benefit from FL sizing which few of the hand tools can provide. Of course you could use a pound in type FL sizer for many of them, but I've never seen one in 223/5.56.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

Not having enough " spare" time at home to load much, I packed up a Lee Hand Press, powder, dipper, dies , boolits, Lee hand priming tool , cases and went to the office. Loaded 200 rounds of 9mm luger, during spare moments at my office desk, over a two day period.
    That worked out so well I did it again this week. Loaded 100 rounds of 38 special, and 100 rounds of 45 acp.
    Seems like I have a lot more " spare" time at work than I do at home....might as well put that spare time to good use.
    Never would have been able to do all that reloading at the office without that sweet little Lee Hand Press....I love it !
    Gary

Banned

^ This is a perfect example of what can be accomplished. Love my Lee Precision Breech Lock Hand Press, Lee Powder Dippers, and Lee Hand Priming Tools.

Hope there isn't some prohibition on links being posted.

http://www.amoskeagauction.com/silent/100silent.pdf

Went through that catalog and just seriously drooled.

Le Loup Solitaire
    I use my 310 tools and dies, many of which have been out of production for many years and are considered rare now. As well I use 2-3 Lee hand presses sometimes with a now discontinued series of what lee called "Speed Dies". I load 38-55 sometimes with BP using a Winchester 1894 tool for which I made the missing decapper....for use in my 85 High Wall. Of course its not as fast as a regular loading press but there is no rush and a good feeling of doing it the old way and getting good ammo that shoots well...like it did once upon a once. LLS

Nothing better for priming than a Lee hand tool, nothing easier for charging than Lee dippers.

But, my Dillon 650 is a machine/beast hybrid.

Looks around the room.

Nope, well nothing I can talk about.
    Well nothing that I "Should" talk about.

Beenusingmyleeloaderfor7.62x54rto formbrassformy7.62x25Cz-52outof.223blanksbycuttingthe.223totherightlength, thenputtingtheminmyleeloaderandhammeronthemwithapu nchuntiltheneckisformedtothecorrectdepth.
    Thenrunthemthroughmy7.62x25diesandpowderthroughexp andertosizethemcorrectlyandflarethemouth.

(Boltsforthedoor)

Boolit Master
    I have my 'reloading' area set up outside on my 'patio' so I, and my dogs, can share the shaded sunlight and outdoors feel as I 'putter'. This is practical as I live in the eastern San Fernando Valley portion of Los Angeles, CA; generally mild weather most of the year. This 'summer' I had to limit my outside time to morning and evenings as midday was TOO HOT and HUMID for reasonable comfort and reloading long term good for the components. Last winter I had some days when the Humidity was in the Condensing (raining) range so could only sit out and resize cases.

Still, the dogs came out with me and shared the peaceful rainy weather under my Patio 'tent'.

Best Regards,
    Che. William.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Looks around the room.

Nope, well nothing I can talk about.
    Well nothing that I "Should" talk about.

Beenusingmyleeloaderfor7.62x54rto formbrassformy7.62x25Cz-52outof.223blanksbycuttingthe.223totherightlength, thenputtingtheminmyleeloaderandhammeronthemwithapu nchuntiltheneckisformedtothecorrectdepth.
    Thenrunthemthroughmy7.62x25diesandpowderthroughexp andertosizethemcorrectlyandflarethemouth.

(Boltsforthedoor)
    At least I got a chuckle out of your post. Sounds like it works well.

Now for your typing. Repeat after me: "The space bar is my friend. I will endeavor to visit my friend after each and every word."

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

bolt for the door indeed! That's exactly what many of us do here - use the tool to accomplish what is needed. If you think that is weird, go read on the Swaging forum!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Sorry guys, yes the space bar and I are old friends. I was just trying to leave a specific impression, (and laughing all the way while doing it)

Lee tools are IMO great tools for the money, and I would not willingly give up my Lee Loader in 7.62x54r. I just wish I had one in 7.62x25.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast