RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's Get Back to Basics

Boolit Grand Master

Let's Get Back to Basics

This section of the CB Forum is designed for discussion of 310 tools, Lee Loaders (the hand type) and other non-bench press type loading, in short Hand Tools. Has anyone done anything of note lately about or with these types of tools? I'm not seeing much about them here these days. I just finished gathering a set of 38/357 dies for the 310 and a set of iron handles so marked. I had one of the old boxes laying around, so I guess I can now assemble a complete, early type set. There are a few old Lee Loaders on my table waiting for me to find time to use them, and as soon as I get some of my newer stuff stashed and make room to work (I know, it shouldn't take much room) I'll be able to get busy with them. Does anyone know how I can get "a round tuit??"

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned

Nothing of note, but I like hand tools. 3 Breech Lock hand presses, 2 Lanes Reloaders 12 gauge, multiple Lee Loaders, mucho Lee Auto Primes. Couple sets of Lee Powder dippers. I like the simplicity. Just as some like contraptions like 1050s, I like hand tools. Next step may be the Huntington Compac Tool. All theses simple tools do take up some space when you collect a few of them. KISS.

Boolit Master
    I haven't done much lately other than organizing some stuff.

I pulled all the stuff acquired over the last few years out and sorted it, making a few complete sets, including putting together the .32 S&W long set using the steel universal handles (those are a PITA to find!).

Every once in a while I pull a set out and load 50 rounds or so.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Bub
    For the last year, all I've used has been a Lee breech lock hand press. That's for .223, 30-06, and .44 Special and Mag.
    We just moved last year and the basement is in a state of flux (read that "absolute mess") and the hand press has been my only option for getting any loading done.

I do like that everything for one caliber can fit in a tool box and that I can just set up on the coffee table, if need be. My wife is not as fond as I am of that feature...

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not all that enamored with the Lee Loaders, the only thing I have done with ones for brass cartridges is pick them up cheap and pass the savings along to members. My mental block about using them comes from starting reloading in my early teens with a Lee Loader in .410 and a year or two later one in 20 gauge; the crimps did not form well with plastic shells, even using the crimp starters. No resizing of the case head meant my H&R wouldn't even extract, forget about ejecting three inch .410's.

On the other hand, I have started to get really interested in 310 tools; I now have both a small and a large aluminum handle, and dies in .243 and .308 Winchester. I think there was a guy that had several sets of dies at the last local gun show, but I didn't realize what the boxes were until after the show was over.

I hope he will be at the one this week end; I really want to get sets for .22 Hornet and .30-40 Krag to go with my Savage 219 and 1899 Carbine. Seems like single shot rifles and Krags just cry out for tong tools.

Robert
    Last edited by Mk42gunner; 10-10-2014 at 12:23 AM. Reason: meNtal not metal, geez..

Boolit Grand Master
    Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

jmortimer, if and when you get that HDS Compac Tool you will be blown away with how cool it is... I know I was. I keep mine ready to do a final crimping step for Civil War style Maynard 50 cal. rounds. I'm convinced that with a proper set of dies I could load anything with this (by hand) that I could with any normal single stage or turret bench press. It was well worth the $$$ I paid for it.

NoZombies, I got very lucky and found a complete pre-War #3 boxed set (nickel, of course)for the 32 S&W including a bullet sizing die! I love to take it to the range when it's time to do load development. I also get good mileage out of my post-War blued 32-40 and 45-70 sets. It's fun but challenging to find the older dies and handles for calibers I actually load for... the hunt is half of the game!

Mk42gunner, if you don't have any luck with that 22 Hornet search, I think I may be able to assemble a set out of my "chowder box." For a while there it seemed like I was seeing a lot of odd dies in that caliber. I can't help you one the 30-40 though, 'cause all I have is the TruLine Jr set for my little press... I shoot an 1899 carbine that my granduncle sporterized for deer hunting.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    Froggie,

Thanks for the offer, I may just take you up on it if I can't find anything.

The boxes I recall seeing were the black and white Lyman boxes labeled "inserts" I think. If the guy is there I will be asking to look in them.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I like the Wilson hand dies. At least I have used the neck sizers with a plastic hammer.
    The seater dies are used with a small arbor press.
    I also have a number of hand made loading dies in 6X47 are of higher quality than any factory die.
    Most are unidentified but one sizer is marked Shilen.
    EDG

I started reloading in 1957 with a 310 set in 25/20 -- still use it
    I generally like using the tong tool, I tolerate the lee hand press, but don't care for the lee whacker -
    Even when using a regular press and dies I often expand or prime with the tong --
    I have about 10 or more sets and a host of orphans trying to find siblings --
    While a couple sets are "collectible" most are for general use.
    I too am trying to complete a hornet set , a 250 savage set and 30/30 set ---
    My goal is to pass on to each grandchild a weapon and reloading tooling for it - which is getting closer by the day

Boolit Master
    I have an original Ballard No. 2 in .25-25. Since it's a cast action, I only use Swiss 3FG. I am using a nickled Ideal .25-21/.25
    Double-adjustable No. 3 Tong tool for bullet seating original Ideal 25720 100gr. bullets. Also trying to get a British W.J. Jeffery rook rifle in .255 Jeffery rook to shoot. Using the little 50gr. Lyman .25ACP bullet cast soft & using an Ideal .25 WCF No. 3 tong tool for bullet seating.

Even though I have the dies I loaded up some .243 with the Lee Loader yesterday. Just a perfect tool for running up a few rounds.
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Grand Master
    Pavogrande,

I let a friend talk me out of my 32-20 die set for the 310 because I thought I had another. OOOOPPPSSS! So far I've gotten everything replaced except the neck sizer die, but I'm still looking for that one.

I like to use the old Lyman push-in FL case sizers from time to time, so when I was making a mini-arbor press in a shop class that I audited where I teach, I talked the instructor into letting me make it to a size appropriate to use with these dies. I still have to use a rod and hammer to get the cases back out, of course.

Back to the idea of hand priming with 310 tongs... the first really serious caster and loader I ever knew (over 40 years ago) swore by them, and his 44 Spl and Mag loads worked every time!

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master

I've got to empty some brass and cast some boolits. I load my 38/357 with 310 dies and my Jr press. I don't have much brass unloaded and ran out of boolits to load. Been shooting my 45's.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

froggie -- since I use the 32/20 MR for the carbine I can't help you out --

Boolit Buddy
    I like the old Winchester 1894 tools and molds. Got a 32-40 and 32 Special with the correct mold for each.Like most of the ones you see at gun shows they are missing the decapping pin and charge cup also known as powder dipper.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catskinner View Post
    I like the old Winchester 1894 tools and molds. Got a 32-40 and 32 Special with the correct mold for each.Like most of the ones you see at gun shows they are missing the decapping pin and charge cup also known as powder dipper.
    Coincidence: Setting up at a local gun show today; took a walk around to see if anything interesting was coming in and found a #4 with 38 L.I.L marked as the caliber. Anyone got any idea what those letters stand for?

Boolit Master
    Long Inside Lubricated. The mould should have a hollow base pin attached to it and be a nose pour.

Boolit Master
    I've primed with just about every hand tool and bench mounted press out there, but only use my Co-ax and the 310 tool for priming anymore, both are solid, smooth with lots of feel.

Boolit Master

"Does anyone know how I can get "a round tuit??"
    All it takes is a broomstick, a table saw, and a sharpie
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

"Moderator Emeritus"

I like my Lee loaders once I get a load worked out for a particular firearm. I make a powder dipper for the specific load. I would not be without them.
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast