Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Nevada get together .

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I can scare up a spare bed and would be too happy to meet the plane.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Love Life
    I'd like to, but I won't be able to any time soon. Maybe next summer.

The doors open coffee is on and the beer is cold.

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Love Life
    Last night I was trying to sell my wife on a Tahoe get away, and she asked me "Why would we go visit a place we just left?" to which I replied "Your face."

I need to get back west. I am situated well here, but confined...oh so confined.

Yep,the ability to roam down a that 2nd road on the left from anywhere is something I will miss in a few years when I relocate.

Love Life
    My good friend said "Dick, don't leave Nevada." He was right, but he is stuck in Arkansas so I laugh at his misery as well!

Yep ,Tim knows too soon I'll be there as well ,but I'm keeping the home at the lake even if it's on its way to being an alkali mud hole. All that green desolation as far as you can see ,all 200yd if you're lucky ,ain't for me forever . I gotta have that 200 mile view from the top.

Love Life
    Have you met my good friend over in Rosebud? Tim built a rifle for him.

I doubt it. My folks are in Mena . It makes Tim crazy when I call him and say hey can you take a look at this for me ,I'll run it over Saturday from my Dad's place. It's ONLY 120 miles over there. After knocking off the 1st 1800 that's just a leg stretcher. I have had the good fortune of meeting members from all over . Sometimes I even remember their 1st names.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Last night I was trying to sell my wife on a Tahoe get away, and she asked me "Why would we go visit a place we just left?" to which I replied "Your face."

I need to get back west. I am situated well here, but confined...oh so confined.
    I told you. That sage oil gets into your veins and you can't get rid of it. A lady at the BLM office in Winnemucca told me a story about it a few years back. Every few weeks a couple would come into her office looking for info about something in northern Nevada and they would be funny to watch. One would be passionate about everything he or she would see out there in the open spaces (almost in tears) and the other was just trying to understand. Be gentle with your wife and in a few years she will understand and be with you out there. Some day she we will be out there tenting in the Santa Rosa's just like us before NCBS. Been there done that. All this from a guy who lives in Mick Dodge's country in the jungles of the Olympic Peninsula (see the TV show, The Legend of Mick Dodge). I would be at this event myself but my father-in-law passed away a few days ago and I won't be going anywhere until after the military ceremony next month (he was a Navy corpsman attached to the Marines in the Pacific in WW2).
    Last edited by quilbilly; 01-29-2015 at 09:52 PM.

Love Life
    I offer my sincere condolences for the loss of your father in law and a piece of living history. He is probably already rabble rousing all through heaven. The Navy Corpsmen attached to Marines is a very tough job to do both on and off the battle field.

Love of my life said we can retire in Nevada and I plan to land right smack dab in Gardnerville...or maybe back out in Wellington.

I wish I had explored more while I was there. Nevada is like the world's largest playground for just about any age. I have some pictures of my daughter panning in Risue Canyon. I put a little flakes in her pan while she wasn't looking and when she got to the bottom and swished that black sand to the side...she lit up like the sun!!

Clear skies, low population density, clean air, good people, and freedom to roam and just live. I must stop for I fear I may catch a tear.

Rich- Haha!! Same with me. I picked a place to live 18 miles from where I work and people act like I live a whole state over. Driving those wide open spaces definitely gives you perspective. I had a 60 mile rd trip to work, 80 mile rd trip to town, and even farther if I wanted to go to Tahoe, Carson, or Reno.

You all have fun out there and be safe. Will there be a cannon this year?

Well damn Quillbilly that's no good . I send my condolences.

It was in the works last I heard ,but it's been awfully quiet.

Boolit Master
    Love Life, good chance of a return of the cannon. Before the shoot, need to work up different loads for this lot of Goex cannon grade. This lot of powder is underpowered at best, first lot like this I've had. If the hazmat fee wasn't so high, I'd return it. ( like any powder buy, no returns ) But as a reloader, I don't just keep increasing the powder charge until I get the desired result. To many good folks there to hurt turning the barrel into a pipe bomb. Weather stays good, might take a drive up to the top of Jack Wright and see if a can work up a safe load with this stuff. Be fun to break up some boulders for targets. I'd invite you to join in if you were closer. Normal load with this thing is 1/4 cup of single F. At the shoot last Feb. I had to exceed that by 50% and still got wimpy performance. My concern for the safety of the group caused me to quit there. Proper load in this is just like any other ball loader, just fast enough to get the "crack" that you hear when you exceed speed of sound. And with the proper load, the carriage recoils about 10 -15 feet. At the last shoot, the 1" balls were falling way short of the 55 gallon drum @500 yards, another indicator of poor performance. Deer hunted Risue Canyon area this year, got lots of good time exploring some of it and the side roads, yes got the deer as well, time well spent. Highly recommend Wellington as a place to retire to, I did, and love it.
    Chris

Love Life
    If you go up to the peak of Jack Wright and then go about 3 miles north-ish you'll come to an old abandoned mining area. The rock foundations are still there for the cabins. Shoot, it would take me over 2 years just to explore all the nooks and crannies in Jack Wright. Jack Wright is where I took a free flying lesson while rock climbing. I learned that I can't fly.

Boolit Master
    Yes, that's a rough area. Was looking for those mining camps 3-4 years ago riding my horse up there, never found the them. My horse sure got a good workout though. She is gone, I'm down to just a quad now. Flash flood came through a canyon couple of years ago and wiped out many of the old trails. Might end up easier taking the trail from the east side and look south from the top in the burn area. Go up Ricky Canyon, cut South. Might look again and bring my dry washer up there for fun. Camp on the west side was Chinese, camp on the east about a mile was Irish. I should have the cannon out there in the rocks next week if the weather holds, fire a few 38-55's as well. Question for Harter 66, at this new area, is there a good place to park a 28' trailer ??
    Chris

Yes , a 28 ft will be easy . Partial paved parking for the rigs and smooth graded road except 100 yards or so but no worse than the flat access last year.

Love Life
    There was quite a bit of ore pulled from that pile of mountains there.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Harter 66, I'll plan on a couple of nights there and bring the trailer this time, pull the hotel with me. Thanks for the landmark Dick, I'll be looking for the ore piles. I don't have a crusher, just a dry washer to run that fine ore. Think I'll take the quad out soon and see if I can spot the pile of ore. If I can spot the area, return with the little quad trailer in tow with the prospecting/dry wash gear. Big water trouble now where you used to live Dick, 3 of the 5 wells down, need to drill deeper by summer. The new well by the ball field now pulled and waiting for the drilling rig. So far, my well is OK. If this drought goes on to much longer I'm sure I will have to go deeper also. We need rain and snow bad. On my side of the hill, ag wells have been cut 50% so all of the household wells like mine don't dry up. No garden this year.
    Chris

Love Life
    I'll look in my notes and get them to you. There were tailings, but no big ore piles. I was referring to the sheer amount of development in Jack Wright pass the pile of mountains surrounding it. I dry panned a few old washes and stream beds and never found anything worth righting home about, but I wasn't trying hard either. I was on foot and did a 5 day hike and camp.

I even found flakes in Desert Creek. Start looking where the fish start...the north end. On the south end if you go in from East Side Lane you have all the old Arrowhead mines and tailings, but last I checked in 2013 the mines all still had active claims on them so I didn't move any dirt. I just did the unsafe things and played in the mine shafts. The A frame for one of the Arrowhead mines is still there up on the hill beyond the old milling building.

If you get up towards the Marine base, drive up to wolf creek. If you see some Marines on the trail ask them to point you to LZ penguin. Start there and work your way in. There is color to be found and a man with a metal detector did quite well. Lots of large boulders as you go farther up so wear good boots. Beautiful scenery and the deer are so used to people that they just ignore you. Great coyote hunting up there as well.

Talking to the Environmental section there, you can't dig deep, but you can fill a pan. In other words don't start a full scale excavation and return the land to how you found it.

Love Life
    Wait...up in LZ penguin I believe it is Silver Creek. That's the one you want. I'll look at my maps today and PM you the skinny. Lots of Indian artifacts and Basque carvings in the trees as well. Just a beautiful pristine area.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast