Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Nevada get together .

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell

The Nevada get together .

Last year's thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-ish-shooting

I'm not taking anything away from the NCBS if that's your annual Mecca ...er Mucca. .. anyway thing then do it .

I think LL, started a great thing early this year and I want to continue that so I've set the NVGT dates for 2/20-22 in Fallon under the same guidelines as the meet this year .
    I think we can get enough of us together this time to add at a minimum a team pistol shoot and best group . In honor of the miscreant that originated this I want to throw in a Billy Dixon shoot. As well as a couple of "simple" 3-500 yd targets.

With a dry late winter permitting I will move over and out about a mile to add unlimited range and eliminate the visitors on the business end. I know that October is a long way from February but I'm gone hunting and Christmasin for a month between now and then.

I would also like to see us use this to bring new casters and cross over into some BP as well. I would like to beg some assistance for set also.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Man
    Harter--count me in and willing to help as possible. I am up in Winnemucca, so a trip or two down to help get things set up before would be possible.

Fast Asleep AKA Tim Janke

Boolit Master
    The date is close enough to the photography symposium in Winnemucca (Shooting the West) that we might make it too for one day. Time and weather will tell that time of year.

Boolit Master
    Well Harter66, you are right, Feb is a long way off. As of now, count me in. If there is something you need help with, let me know, we live close enough to each other, closer than most. Another shoot could give me a chance to run this old 38-55 with cast at some range just for grins. Also need to get rid of more of that black powder in the cannon. Going into the outback here before with the cannon and test some stronger loads with this new powder, try to get up to a full charge without people around in case something goes bad. When it knocks down that 55 gallon drum @500 yards, will almost be there. Might be a little easier loading if I bring a bucket and some water to swab out the bore between shots. If you need a phone #, send me a PM. Just need to shoot in a place where we can prevent people from wandering into our downrange. My season, like yours, starts early next month, lots to do.
    Chris

So I'm going to throw this out here for input.
    I searched it up and the Army survey said 1538yd with a 50-70 or 50-90. Modern research indicated more like 1150. Either way it's well over 1000 yds. I've looked at a 12" NRA target at 200 and it's tiny through GI 03A3 sights. Inputs here ?

Billy Dixon shoot
    750yd
    Open sights , 5 shots , standing buck board/uncovered haul wagon side rest. Post,blade or bead sights on 'daily driver' rifles.
    1000 yd
    Scoped rifles up to WM cartridges ,w/exceptions for "elephant guns" pre-30's and Sharps etc. Hunting class rifles no bench guns,or X40 class. Maximum of 6x fixed or variables set at no more than 6x.
    1200 yd
    Open Class except 12x maximum magnification. Weatherby, H&H, RUM, STW,BMG ETC.

The same 3 point wagon rail standing for all ,a judgment call on all questionable middle rifles will stand . As final. This is to be in the spirit of the Billy Dixon Adobe Walls shot and the shooting prowess of the 20th century shooter. It's supposed to be fun ! (We can make range adjustments but personally I think I'll have trouble seeing a man steel at 750 w/03A3 sights.)
    I can't think of a better way to keep the classes close to even and not have really complex rules for guns and still allow a healthy competition for a 45 cal BP target rifle ,96 Win, and a 460 Barrett .

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Only about a five or six mile drive for me. I'll be there.

Actually I have a place I spent some time as a teenager picked out .....I didn't realize it was so far out there ...... the is a funny story about a Lincoln that tried to catch me out there once ..... as a Dad it's not so funny, I did right by her though and it should have been clear that right was our intention in the 1st place .

Ok so I've done better research on the location but a ride out to see if it's better or worse than I remember it is still in order. It's hell to get middle-aged. The Sheriff has indicated that there arent any conflicts with land use and we should has an open back drop of about 7 miles . I've made request of Desert Fox for photography so we should have good pictures even if nothing else goes well.

I will see if I can beg some steel but if someone has some to bring along ...
    Last edited by Harter66; 11-04-2014 at 05:12 PM.

Boolit Man
    Garter:

i have access to about 15 steel plate targets up to about 12" x 18" I can bring down. Some have stands, some need to be hung on t posts and wires (have also)

Boolit Man
    Harter--sorry about your spell checker name error.

Perfect . Thanks for adding to the mix. I have about 16 t posts , so if I can nail down a suitable range for the long range part .....
    the area I had in mind has heaved over the years and is no longer suitable so I'll be checking out some other options.

An update. I have located a suitable "range" better access than last year. It is unlikely to have motorcycles, hawkers or aircraft on it and if my odometer is close we should have close to 1300 yd for those wishing to stretch it out . I will need to knock a couple high places down and put them in a couple of low places and of course being it's nature it could be a little muddy if it then I will make a revised location possibly falling back to last year's location.

The location for the locals if you want to take a ride is near Grimes point.

East on US 50 10 miles
    Turn left on the Grimes point road 1.1miles
    Maps and I have a difference of opinion 1.3 is a better fit anyway .
    Turn left at the BLM outhouses about a quarter mile and like last year I'll have a rig of some sort in there flying the colors.

I will be looking at a place for the rules dinner Friday night in the next week or so .

Boolit Man
    Harter:

How about a general menu of the types/distances/weapons that we will be shooting? I have not attended this event before and need a bit of time to get things rounded up

Well , it's open and up to you really . The NCBS has been a guide . The rifles run from a 45cal target ML to a 22 Hornet in a Martini to a 700/M40. Double action revolvers are preferred I guess for the team pistol post shoot . The long range will be in 3 classes to balance the extremes . There will be a best group for iron/open sights scoped at 100 and a jacketed class with a ladies split as needed . This is only my 2nd so I'm trying to add some sport friendly atta boy competition and still keep it fun and available to those that might be on the fence about rifle boolits or hot bbls in pistols shooting fast an furious.

At a minimum I'd take a rifle that I shoot well and a comfortable revolver . I'd like to see some BP come out too just for fun .
    This is just a means for the guys that want to meet some of the board to come out and not have to drive across the state not that Winnemucca is a long haul but an hour to spend a day might be more doable than 2.5 hours for a weekend. Love Life intended it to be a come shoot the breeze,your gun,have dinner and drinks ,show off your toys event when he suggested last winter.

The basics are:
    Best group rifle 3 classes
    Loonngg range 3 classes
    Post shoot 10 yards team pistol speed and accuracy.

Class 1 open iron sights
    Class 2 scoped and or jacketed
    Class 3 scoped jacketed.

Since there are or at least haven't been any objections to the long range break down I'll run with that for now.

The basics are:
    Best group rifle 3 classes
    Loonngg range 3 classes
    Post shoot 10 yards team pistol speed and accuracy.

Class 1 open iron sights
    Class 2 scoped and or jacketed
    Class 3 scoped jacketed.

Since there are or at least haven't been any objections to the long range break down I'll run with that for now.

Looks like the rules dinner will be at Pizza Barn . 6pm Friday 2/20 . Pot luck on Sunday about noon .

Weird that it was 62 degrees today .

Boolit Man
    Harter--is the Pizza Barn in Fallon?

Cheers,
    Tim

Yes it is on the Reno end at the Williams /Allen stop light across the street from McDonald's, same side of Williams Ave/Reno highway .
    Official address 1981 W Williams ave. It is at the opposite corner of the parking lot from Jerry's which has major signage on Williams.

Love Life
    I would fist fight a grizzly bear to be there.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast