Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Cast project

Boolit Mold

Cast project

Hello casters
    I recent became interested in casing and just bought some ingots for my first project. I have not even touched them yet. Then out of the blue on another shooting forum I visit a guy was giving away 10 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights. I got to them first. I've seen videos on smelting and it looks straight forward enough. Question I havefor the forum, is there anyone from near Baltimore who wants to help me smelt? I'd prefer to come to you with the WW. I live in a townhouse so a major operation will be harder here. Naturally you'd be given sinew of the ingots we casted as payment. Please let me know if you're interested.

Boolit Bub
    Congrats on scoring the 10 buckets of wheel weights. That will keep you casting for quite a while. Too far away to offer you a place for smelting. Best to sort the wheel weights before the smelting process as it takes a little while. Some good info on this site and others on the sorting process. Welcome to the world of casting and good luck.

Boolit Master

I'll PM you.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Super Moderator

.............Kewl, a rendering party!

Me, 9.3x62AL went up to Ammohead's place and helped 'Ingotize' a bit over 950 lbs of pure lead shavings. Had 3 gas burners going. Those shavings melted SLOW, but we gotter done. You'll need a large 'Holey' spoon to dredge out the clips (the bigger the better) and a good supply of candle wax or canning paraffin for fluxing the melt.

Plus a few muffin tins ................

My setup. The muffin tins are sitting in Aluminum turkey roaster pans with water in them. Sure makes the lead ingots set up a lot faster.

Once cool I pack them into these inexpensive plastic "Shoe Boxes" I got at Lowe's for like $1.50 each. If you can stack ingots into them to support the lid, you can stack them. Your ingots will stay clean and shiny. Just don't store them where the sun will shine on them as the plastic will deteriorate.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Mold
    Just picked them up yesterday. 13 buckets. I think its well over 1000 lbs. My truck is riding noticeably lower with them in the bed. Got a PM from Hangfire, hopefully we can get some lead melted.

Boolit Master

We did!
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    A few musings.

Super Moderator

..............Whatta ya mean, "We did it"? Without pictures you didn't do anything! We want to see the mud, blood and tears, or beers!

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

I was too busy to snap pics. Maybe Bigalf can post pics of the results.
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

He's back! This time he gets to do all the work himself!

Boolit Buddy

Nice!!!