RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Homemade Ghillie Suit is finished!

Boolit Buddy

Homemade Ghillie Suit is finished!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141007_124604_554.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	118520Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141007_124526_021.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	118521

These are pics of me in my homemade Ghillie suit. Just a pair of BDUs from a surplus shop, with a whole lot of jute twine, partly dyed black and green.
    I think it will work for the hunting season, particularly if I can get out for some ducks and geese soon.
    "Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one--the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts.." - C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    My wife wants a Ghillie suit. Every time we go to Gander Mountain she's ogling them and saying she wants one. I don't know why.... she doesn't hunt.

Nice suit, btw!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    Have her make her own
    This just required the old BDUs, a whole lot of jute twine, and instead of sewing, I used E-6000 adhesive to attach the jute. Some glue on camo material on the outside to tie the jute twine to, but I tried that with part of mine, and found the material itself just lost all of its camo coloring if it got wet. I decided the underlying camo from the BDUs would be enough, and the adhesive is very strong, most likely stronger than if I had attempted to do any sewing on this myself.
    The BDU set probably cost me $30 at a surplus store, the jute twine was found at Hobby Lobby, 900 feet for I think $20, and the adhesive was the most costly thing; I think I went through 10 tubes of it at around $4 each.
    Attach the regular tan jute first, then fill in with green and blue dyed jute after, particularly if you're making it for goose or duck, at least around here, the natural color of jute blends well with the reeds and cattails I wind up in.
    "Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one--the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts.." - C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

Boolit Bub
    That looks great! Making a ghillie suit from scratch is pretty rewarding. I managed to fritter away many hours making mine, always tweaking and adjusting for the season/vegetation, but at the end of the day it made for great fun.

Boolit Master

Had to make one for class. It was alot of work over a 2 week period of time and the sacrafice of many burlap sand bags. Later I learned that bulk burlap material was avaiable at masonary supply stores for curing concreate. That, some Rit dye in a laundry mat for a couple of colors and hang dry. Cut into strips after it is dry because it will come apart in the wash cycle and turn into a matted ball. If you can find an old nylon flight suit for the base is great because the nylon is tough and slides alittle bit better during the stalk.

We used 1" nylon mesh bar tacked on the back of the base layer to attach the burlap to.