Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data Wideners

Thread: PC bullets and the .30-30

Boolit Buddy

PC bullets and the .30-30

In my new found addiction with PC bullets, I found some unsized and unlubed RCBS 180 gr FNGC cast slugs. These were water quenched WW bullets, my favorite for such guns going about 2200 fps. They had a BHN of about 20. After their PC bake at 400 degrees for 17 minutes, their BHN drops to 10. "They" say PC has a hardness of around 45 BHN, while a bullet jacket is around 60. The slugs were then pushed thru a LEE .311 sizing die and gas check crimped on. I gotta say, You don't need to put the GC totally on using these dies. I just place the GC on the bottom of slug, and send it up the pipe.There is no shaving of PC, and the GC's are square and tight. Anyway, I had some PC .30-30 bullets and couldn't wait to test them. My test rifle would be a '76, pre safety Marlin model 336 in .30-30, topped with a Bushnell 1.5-4.5X scope. I had 19 of the slugs to load, and seated them over 32 grs. of Winchester 748, a favorite load that is just shy of 2,200 fps.

Here is the RCBS slug in brown and a Lyman 311440 in white for comparison.

I fired one shot to foul the barrel and started on my groups. Distance would be 100 yds, for five shots. The first group, top left, was about what I was used to in the Marlin with traditional sized and lubed bullets. It was about 2-2 1/2", not bad for 5 shots in a lever gun. The second group, top right, was better. The first four clustered nicely, with the 5th going out. the third group was much like the second, 4 tightly clustered holes and a flyer on the last. the final group I had 3 rounds left. It grouped in about an inch. Overall, it was a good test, and my confidence continues to grow using these PC bullets. I have some .444 and .45-70 slugs I need to load and test. We'll see! If I were a betting man, I would say they will continue the trend and improve accuracy.

Here's the rifle and groups from todays shoot. The ol' Amish Assault Rifle held its own with the PC bullets.

Your groups look similar to mine from a Springfield 840 be it a 90g SWC or a lee TL160

However I have not pushed my velocities up quite as high as yours just yet. I find your post most encouraging

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I PC all my 30 cal slugs but have not pushed them past about 1,800 or so in my 30-30 and 06. Good groups at 50 & 75 yards. No leading.

Later this month I will "hot load" some and go for the higher velocities!

I shoot 120, 150, and 170gn cast with a hardness of ~14 then PC & Cu GC.

Thanks for the report + pix!

banger

That is a LOT of crimp for a 30/30!
    Whatever!

I gotta get me a nose sizing die! My .308 Handi chambers my Lee 170s and 180s just fine but in my 30-30 Handi you really have to slam the door to get powder coated boolits chambered. Wouldn't want to have a high primer. So far I have been shading the noses when I coat for the 30-30 but a nose sizer would be easier. GP