WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Scrap vs. COWW?

Boolit Buddy

Range Scrap vs. COWW?

Just got my first .45acp boolits cast last weekend from COWW and was very pleased with the result. I'm on a hunt for more lead so I can stock pile it a bit before leads gets phased out of the WW market. The WW suppliers buy back weights from the local shops for a rate of about $.40 a pound (they actually supply boxes which they give $15 credit for, a 5 gallon bucket fills about 4 boxes). The first batch of COWW's I bought I got 85 pounds of lead ingots from a bucket starting out at 120 pounds. I only have one indoor range in the area and they said one guy usually buys all their scrap lead but offered me a batch for $.40 a pound. After reading a bit it seems some people like to stay with COWW since its a more known alloy than a mixed bag of bullets.

So if you have the opportunity to get $.40/lb COWW or range scrap which would you buy? I know a lot of you get lead cheaper but thus far I haven't had any luck finding it cheaper. The local scrap yard only pays $.10 but its a chain and they won't resell what they buy. I have an ad on our local classified board offering $.20 a pound but haven't had any bites yet. I'll keep jumping the $ per pound up till I get some takers.

Boolit Grand Master
    Range scrap works great. My .45 ACP are all range scrap. I get superb accuracy, no leading, no fail to function. Rifle boolits may get a little lino if the water dropping doesn't harden them up. 50/50 WW and range scrap water dropped gets them adequately hard for .30 cal rifle.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Don't know where you are, but I'd jump on almost anything at .40/lb. I have found COWW at .50 and figured I did very well. Most yards in my area get 1.00/lb or more for COWW. Range scrap was free for a while, but the range redid the burms and burried a lot of before we could "mine" the area. I shoot both from a pair of 9mms, a .38 snubbie and a 4" K Frame. Everything is tumble lubed and I haven't tried pushing the range scrap beyond about 850-900 fps. No problems either way. I'm sure the more experienced guys will chime in shortly.
    Last edited by histed; 10-07-2014 at 07:52 PM.
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

If the range scrap is from mostly cast bullets then I would lean toward the range scrap. The lead within jacketed bullets is near pure lead. If from cast bullets the lead was good enough for bullets to start with. The exception is .22 LR lead.The range scrap will have a higher recovery per cent. With COWW your recovery was around 70 per cent making the price around 55 cents per pound.

Boolit Master
    If the range scrap has a lot of jacketed bullets in it you can smelt them down and skim off the floating jackets and sell them at the scrap yard for a tidy sum. Pistol range berms typically have lotsa jacketed bullets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    If the range scrap is from mostly cast bullets then I would lean toward the range scrap. The lead within jacketed bullets is near pure lead. If from cast bullets the lead was good enough for bullets to start with. The exception is .22 LR lead.The range scrap will have a higher recovery per cent. With COWW your recovery was around 70 per cent making the price around 55 cents per pound.
    I used to believe that the lead in jacketed bullets was mostly pure lead but I don't believe that anymore. Do you have a reference that indicates that the lead in Jacketed bullets is almost pure? I sort of sort my range scrap into Jacketed, Cast and .22 as best I can without spending a lot of effort. I don't do large volumes as it is for my own use and I only get limited amounts of range scrap. The lead from the jacketed bullets seems to run 8-9 BHN, not what I would expect from pure.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    Its a pretty short range, 20yd I think. I would think there's lots of jacketed pistol bullets in there as well as a lot of .22's.

Boolit Master
    Quite a few years ago I called several bullet manufacturers. Felix and I and a few others on the old Shooters.com had this discussion a long time ago. Techs I talked to told me that cores on most jacketed bullets were pretty close to pure lead, unless they were intended for special use. No telling what they use now, but I would think that they would not spend more on them than necessary.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    Quite a few years ago I called several bullet manufacturers. Felix and I and a few others on the old Shooters.com had this discussion a long time ago. Techs I talked to told me that cores on most jacketed bullets were pretty close to pure lead, unless they were intended for special use. No telling what they use now, but I would think that they would not spend more on them than necessary.
    Did the techs share any numbers with you. Pretty close to pure lead is not very specific. We talking like 99.9% lead or 99.5% lead? Just a half a percent of antimony will get me a BHN of 9 if I can trust the alloy calculator which I don't think I can for almost pure.

Does anyone have hardness numbers for cast pure lead vs. swaged pure lead? I have read that lead softens when it is worked so does core lead get softer when it is extruded and then formed. I will go test one of the swaged lead balls I bought to shoot in a muzzle loader but I am not going to melt them down to see if they get harder when I cast them as balls. I don't have any lead that tests under 8 BHN unless these balls test lower.

Tim

Boolit Grand Master

I'd rather deal w/ range scrap. A lot less cleanup. And the alloy is more consistent. Wheel weight lead is anything but consistent. You can't really trust the old values from back in the day. They're all over the place and did I mention the mess you have to clean up?

I get most of my lead from indoor range scrap. Lots of jacketed. lots of 22lr. Some cast. I water quench as I cast. My boolits come out 18+bhn. They work just fine in my 38/357 and 9mm.
    If you can get range scrap for $.40, jump on it. Even if you only recover about 75%(which is what mine runs), final cost is only $.53 per pound.
    At 45-60 boolits per pound that's as cheap as you can get around here and lots cheaper than buying from online suppliers.

I really like range scrap and a lot of I get ahold of is around 10bhn sometimes harder.(usually a mix of cast, plated and jacketed) I have melted down a number of jacketed pistol and rifle bullets both fmj and jhp and a lot them are harder than pure lead for sure. I have also crushed a bunch in the arbor press.

Boolit Master
    I use range scrap for the most part. I am getting about 8-9 bhn on mine and after i toss in some pewter and a dozen or so really hard cast boolits in the mix i get around 12 bhn . Works for me in 45acp, 9mm and 38-357.

Boolit Master
    Ok, I just did some tests, take them with a grain of salt. Not really scientific.

I tested a Hornady swaged round ball with my Lee tester and got an indent of 0.122 inches in diameter. The chart I got with the tester only goes down to 0.079 inches for a BHN of 8.0. Linear extrapolation put that at a BHN of less than 6.0 but the scale is not linear and I am not going to try to do a curve fit. Lets just say that is really really soft and probably pure lead.

I tested a cast round ball I cast a long time ago but I expect that at the time I tried to use the softest lead I had on hand. Probably a mixture of SOWW, .22 rimfire bullets and pellets from my air-rifle trap. I got an indent of 0.103 inches. Again off the scale but extrapolated to a BHN of 7 or so.

Finally I pulled a 45 caliber FMJ out of my bin of unsmelted range scrap and I pealed off the jacket. On it, I got an indent of 0.078 inches for a BHN of 8.1

Tim

Boolit Grand Master
    Range scrap changes with every lot you pick up. If there is a lot of cast, it'll be a bit harder. Lead from jacketed bullets may not be pure, but is on the soft side.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

I am in a happy situation of being able to pick up a lot of range scrap off the ground, and reclaim decent quantities of birdshot. I figure between the two, I can pretty much MAKE wheel weights.

I am in the UNHAPPY situation of living in the Land of the California Condor Cuddlers. While I'll gleefully glom onto any old wheel weights I find, and have feelers out for more, I pretty much consider them an alloy of fortune. I'd rather deal with re-incarnating bullets into bullets than sort out zinc.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    Won't go wrong with either one. Both vary from batch to batch but that is easy to deal with.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Range scrap changes with every lot you pick up. If there is a lot of cast, it'll be a bit harder. Lead from jacketed bullets may not be pure, but is on the soft side.

Shiloh
    That is why I do a quick sort on my range scrap. I can only pick up what is laying on the ground as the ranges does not allow digging in the berms. I sort the obvious cast from jacketed and .22 rimfires and shotgun slugs. I wish I could find more of the even softer lead but mostly I end up with .45 and .40 FMJ's.

Tim

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    That is why I do a quick sort on my range scrap. I can only pick up what is laying on the ground as the ranges does not allow digging in the berms. I sort the obvious cast from jacketed and .22 rimfires and shotgun slugs. I wish I could find more of the even softer lead but mostly I end up with .45 and .40 FMJ's.

Tim
    Shotgun slugs are soft, massive chunks of metal.
    When "Mining" the berm, it really only consists of scraping the surface into my rectangle sieve with 1/4" screen on it.
    I pck out the rocks, clods, wads, chunks of plywood backer and have it smelted. My buddy has the smelter.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

Bertrand de Jouvenel

Boolit Grand Master
    I just move the surface dirt with my hand or foot. No digging. It is amazing how much you can get by handpicking. Today was a bad day, it rained recently and the surface is pretty hard. I need lots more shooting to occur to loosen the surface. Despite all that I came home with 35 pounds. I love high volume handgunners!
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast