Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Info on a couple of 22's

In Remembrance

Info on a couple of 22's

Any body know anything about the old springfield 84c's and or the ithaca single shot lever actions?

I wanted one of the ithaca's when I was a kid, but have never known anybody that owned one.

Boolit Master

The Ithaca was accurate. The thing I did not like was they had an alloy frame with a finish that would chip off. Find one in good condition may be hard.

Boolit Grand Master
    From what I can find the 84C was a basic box magazine .22 bolt action, probably as good or better than you can find now without spending several hundred dollars.

The Ithaca single shot was basically an external hammer Martini (Peabody anyone?). I never was around one, but the M72 made by Erma that evolved into the Henry was a very accurate little carbine. I would go so far as to say that it would equal the accuracy of the Marlin 39-A that I had later.

Robert

In Remembrance

A neighbor`s kid won an Ithaca single shot lever in an varmit control contest in FFA back in the mid `60`s. That little rifle stayed in the milk house on their farm and got used a lot! Last I knew he still had it and it`s still in his garage now that he isn`t farming, not a speck of finish anywhere on the rifle, still shoots pretty fair on squirrels and racoons though.Robert

In Remembrance
    A guy advertised both of them for sale last night at a price I am willing to pay, but he hasn't returned a call, so maybe a mute point.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I found a Springfield that was butt ugly but shot just great , better than some newer rifles I have . I fixed the ugly by refinishing the wood and having the metal parkerized . I think I even have the old scope mount for it around here somewhere . With a good bore they are a worthwhile rifle .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

In Remembrance
    The pictures of these looks good, but that doesn't mean much. The springfield has rings on it. I was looking when he posted last night, but didn't want to call anybody at 10 pm. lol

I still have my first rifle- Ithaca Mod 49. When I got it, the hammer spring seemed pretty rough on my thumb... probably a plan on the part of my old man to slow down the rate of fire... I've touched up the reciever with paint about 20 years ago. Still a great little rifle and still as much fun to plink with as it was 40 some years ago.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

In Remembrance
    Well pooh, he finally called me back, and someone had already spoken for the 22's. I really figured that little ithaca would have made my grandaughter a good 22.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Well pooh, he finally called me back, and someone had already spoken for the 22's. I really figured that little ithaca would have made my grandaughter a good 22.
    It's too bad you missed it. My nephews love mine.

Good little gun, and a reasonably strong action (because you know... 22's are so powerful and all...) mine is accurate enough with the sights provided, and handles pretty well.

The ejector springs get weak over time, and the ejector turns into an extractor, and the paint on the action chips. Never had any other complaints with the ones I've owned.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

In Remembrance
    I thought I remembered back in the day some talk of weak ejectors, but have slept since then. At the price he had them listed I knew they wouldn't last long, but I tried. lol