Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever want to try a new press just because? Considering Lee cast turret that's on sale

I say go for it, Tallbald (looking at the photo, I see where your name comes from ). I'm sure you'll get a lot of pleasure out of having a new press - I know I will, I've ordered a Lee 4-hole Turret (the model you have) and it's due any day now. I didn't order the Classic because the extra weight was not good for overseas shipping!!!

From what you've said I'm sure you'll get a lot of use out of it.

I have 3 presses, two 1970s RCBS Jrs & a 1952 Lyman

I would not buy a newer RCBS, and I never would buy a LEE

Chinese craftmanship isnt my bag
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    To each their own . . . some like Chevy . . some like Ford.

I use a Classic Lee turret and love it. Never had a problem with it and I like the quick changeover of turret plates to different calibers. I'm always hearing about the "tweaking" and sometimes scratch my head at that. I set mine up according to the instructions (and I don't normally read instructions) and there has never been a need to "tweak" mine. Mine primarily gets used for pistol cartridges and I batch load rifle on an older RCBS Jr 3 single stage.

I'm not a fan of all Lee equipment but I'd have no problem buying another Lee classic turret again.

And . . . a big +1 to Titan Reloading. They are good folks to deal with and give great service.

Banned

Lee Precision presses are Made in the USA as are current production RCBS.

Boolit Master
    Lots of people want to always talk down Lee however the Lee Classic Turret is a well made press. I loaded tons of rounds on one and never a problem. The Lee Turret press is self indexing so any other Turret press is not quite the same i.e. Redding, Lyman, RCBS etc.

I have. I bought two LNL's just to have an informed opinion on them. The last Lee press I bought just to make something else out of it. As cheap as Lee stuff is, I have spent more on dinner than what they cost. Why not?

FWIW I think the LEE turret may be the best value one can get in a reloading machine.

Boolit Buddy
    I took the plunge and ordered the Lee Classic Cast turret this morning. I also spent the extra $25 though for the kit, figuring that an extra set of small accessories won't hurt when one rolls under the cabinet somewhere and I can't find it.My wife Miss Penny insists that I reload at the kitchen table instead of out in the garage where it's neither heated or cooled, so I plan to bolt the new press to an oak milled plank, face the bottom with scrap leather to prevent table damage, and use it that way. I shall be able to leave it set up (minus powder and primers) and clamped to my old cabinet rollaround tool box in the garage. I'll sew up a cloth cover to drape over it (yes I sew. Leather and cloth. My favorite cloth sewing machine is a 1934 Singer 201 hand cranked cast iron and black laquered beauty that is displayed in our dining room...). Looking forward to learning the needed tweaks on this high quality and affordable cartridge machine. And thans again for all the input. For me, the decision was clear. Don.

Boolit Master
    As mentioned you're gonna love the Classic Cast. I won't say it's actually better than the non-cast but it's an excellent press. You mentioned having some physical issues so here's a tidbit. The lever on the press is a mile long and provides a ton of leverage. But it's a long reach from up to down. When I'm loading rounds that don't require a lot of leverage (auto-pistol rounds) I swap out a short lever. (you mentioned loading 9mm for the son) Take 2 pieces of 1/2 inch copper and a 90+ copper fitting. I made the lever 9 inches, by eyeball, long, and then soldered the 90+ fitting and added a piece the width of my hand to it. Now you have a short "L" shaped lever. The copper works fine and no it doesn't bend. Loads of video tweeks on youtube for the Classic. Audie...the Oldfart..

Boolit Buddy

Lee classic turret works fine for me. Everything from .357's to 30 cal rifle loads. Kit is okay if you have no reloading "stuff" but many of the pieces aren't the world's greatest, wait that would have to be Herter's stuff, and so just getting the press might make sense if you want to shop for the other items. Do check the Lee site for reconditioned presses, sometimes a classic turret will be there.
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the help. A shorter handle for pistol loads may really help with a few physical issues. I only load .38 Special, .357 and .44 Mag. I can try for an ideal length several times as I cut the handle shorter. I've already ordered the kit, in fact early this morning from MidwayUSA. The more I consider it the more I believe that aside from the smallest parts (primer pocket cleaner and chamfer tool) I will be able to use the other duplicate components here and there. And perhaps pass them on to a new reloader at an opportune time. Don

You don't need to cut the handle on the cc turret as it's adjustable for length on that model. If your bench has a closed front you would have to cut a clearance path for the handle...or cut the lever shorter.

Hey Tallbald, I've got one of them too - Singer 201K. Beautiful piece of work, built to last several lifetimes! Mind you, it's taken me several years to get around to figuring out why it wouldn't sew!!! Turns out the bobbin tension was way too heavy (gotta love the 'net, managed to find the "workshop manual" and a Singer forum (!) which gave me the info I needed to set it correctly). I was hoping to do leather, but it's obviously not designed for that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UNIQUEDOT View Post
    You don't need to cut the handle on the cc turret as it's adjustable for length on that model. If your bench has a closed front you would have to cut a clearance path for the handle...or cut the lever shorter.
    Uniquedot is correct on the handle of course. The way mine is mounted on the bench there is no way to move the handle further down. Had a brain fart there. My bench is a rather large old writing desk, 3 drawers on each side with the wide drawer in the center. I had to narrow down the center drawer and mount the press, so the handle won't bypass the 3 drawers on the right. Duh. I did keep the original handle as is for heavy work but made shorter handles for others. Audie...the forgetful Oldfart..

Boolit Buddy
    I'm supposed to receive my new press tomorrow by end of the day according to UPS tracking. I think I'll make a short handle to accommodate my needs. The kitchen table I reload at is really an industrial maple top workbench Penny and I found at Sam's Club for $200 when we moved in our home. I clamp my Lee press, which is mounted on an oak plank, to the table (bench) top. Through the years, I've made a few dings and dents in the solid maple top while involved in projects. And there are a few cigarette burns from stray ashes (no I don't smoke around reloading components or when loading). Invariably my wife says" honey don't worry about it. The marks give it character". This evening we cleared it off so she could cut out a baby quilt on the bench.
    Dikman here's a photo of my Singer hand crank 201. Dating to 1934, it somehow made its way to the USA from Scotland. It sews a fantastic straight stitch, and is seen below setting on our above referenced kitchen "table". I use a Cowboy 3500 leather sewing machine to make all my holsters, two of which are shown below. Having several interests and hobbies is a good thing I guess. Thanks. Don
    Moderators please delete if I should not be posting these pictures here. Don

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P3091929.jpg  
    Last edited by Tallbald; 10-10-2014 at 01:30 AM.

I see no reason to delete pics relevent to the thread

nice call all on the press. When I got mine, I bolted it to a Microwave cart with the wheels removed. Loaded .308, .222 and resized 30-30 cases to .357 Herrett with it mounted like that. I finally mounted it to a real workbench when I started loading 10mm.

The he only gripe I have about mine is the routing of spent primers...or more accurately, the lack there of . I am sure someone has made something to change that, but I haven't bothered to look yet.

Nice holster btw, and To keep in time with the latest photos, I learned to sew on an old singer with a trundle pedal rig...I miss that old machine and have been keeping an eye out for one.
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

Boolit Mold
    Only took seven posts for someone to cone in and say Dillon, what a surprise.

Boolit Buddy
    Dillons are beautiful pieces of machinery as are new trucks and Corvettes. But I can neither afford a Dillon, a new truck, or a Corvette. But I remain happy for those who can and do, and when I come up beside a person with the Corvette at a stoplight I tell them it's beautiful. I'm not jealous. I'm .......satisfied. And again thanks for the good thoughts folks. Don

In my case it's not usually a matter of whether I can afford something, it's more a case of how much I really want to spend. For my needs I couldn't see the point in spending lots and lots of $$ on a Hornady, Dillon (and they are pricey out here) etc when the Lee should be more than adequate for my needs. I'll only be reloading 44-40, and if I do decide to reload anything else it'll only be revolver rounds of some description (I have no interest in high power rifles).

My Lee arrived yesterday (whoopee!) and I spent most of the day trying to get the dies set up right (RCBS 3-Die set, and the instructions for setting the crimper didn't make a lot of sense so I ended up doing it by trial and error once I figured out how it's supposed to work). Only loaded one without powder and three that seated the boolit a bit too far down - not bad out of ten rounds! It can only get better.

I went into town to get more brass and noticed they had a few presses on display, including the Classic Turret. Now that I have mine for a comparison, I could see that the Classic is definitely a beefier design overall, plus it looks like the spent primers drop out through the ram? (Cost a lot more than mine did!). I reckon you'll be very happy with your new one, Tallbald.

That Singer is almost identical to mine, the main difference appears to be the wooden base (mine is much plainer). Mine was made in 1948, same year I was born . I found that it will sew thin leather, as in gloves, but obviously not holster-grade stuff.
    I like old machinery and stuff, which is probably why I got interested in blacksmithing and black powder guns - there's nothing quite like shooting the Holy Black .

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ljnowell View Post
    Only took seven posts for someone to cone in and say Dillon, what a surprise.
    Yeah, and with good reason and well intentioned.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    Yeah, and with good reason and well intentioned.
    Good reason? That's debatable. I have reloaded on Dillon, hornady, and Lee progressives. I could have bought any of them when I bought my last progressive. I chose to save a lot of money to spend on powder and bought a Lee. It's worked absolutely flawlessly because I know how to follow directions. It's amazing what happens when you do that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast