RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Shot my Dads ruger american 308

Boolit Master

Shot my Dads ruger american 308

Me and my Dad went to the range today with his newly acquired stainless Ruger American Rifle in 308. He had 6 different handloads with 180gr sierra game kings and 150gr hornady SST's.

We were both really surprised by the groups we were shooting with this rifle. We were only shooting 80 yds due to the mud down by the 100yd target at the range. Nothing we shot in the rifle actually shot bad. We had a couple loads shoot around 1 1/2" but found 3 loads that shot well under and inch for 5 shot groups.

Just wanted to throw this info out for anyone considering picking up an american rifle. I would say buy with confidence I have shot much more expensive rifles that would not shoot this good. Ruger has really done a good job on this. I was really surprised by the trigger quality for an out of the box budget rifle.
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

In Remembrance
    I noticed today that sportsmans has them on sale for 299, a guy could hardly go wrong for that kind of money.

Boolit Master

Yeah thats a great price. Ive had many remington 700ADL's that would not shoot as good. To me you are getting a good barrel when it will shoot several bullet weights and loads good. The ruger was not picky at all.
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Boolit Master
    Am hoping they get the lefty versions in the pipeline soon. Hope to find one in .223. With the 1-8 twist it should be the cats meow with 70-75 grain bullets.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master
    Just bought one myself--hope to get it fitted out next week, I need a different set of rings for it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Perma-Banned

I have been thinking of grabbing one of the americans for a while now. For the price you really can not go wrong.

Picked one up in 308 last year , it's a lot more accurate than I am ..
    A lot of fun working up loads with four different molds here .....for the moment using the lyman 311332 .
    Last edited by Digger; 10-09-2014 at 10:57 PM.
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Master

I bought one of those Ruger Americans last month in 22LR. I paid $230.00 for it. For $230.00 I am quite impressed with this little rifle.
    I wouldn't hesitate to put that rifle up against my CZ 452 or my Remingtons or any other 22's I have I've long forgotten I own.
    I'm not a big fan of the sights esp the front sight, but that got replaced with a scope anyways, and the bolts a little gratty feeling, but that might slick up in time.
    Best 22s I found that it likes so far are CCI. It'll make a good squirrel rifle next year and even though I'm not a fan of plastic stocks it will work and I wont have to worry about the bug dope I put on eating the finish off like it does on a wooden stock.

Boolit Master
    Bought a RUGER American 30/06 last year for a loner rifle.

Ooooooh my it shoots well.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Bub
    The last bastion of liberal thought in Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I noticed today that sportsmans has them on sale for 299, a guy could hardly go wrong for that kind of money.
    I don't see guns @ sportsmansguide or sportsmanswarehouse - which sportsmans?

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by kevindtimm View Post
    I don't see guns @ sportsmansguide or sportsmanswarehouse - which sportsmans?
    I'm pretty sure he meant Sportsman's Warehouse in Fairbanks.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    I would love to have one in 270, and I will once Boyd's makes replacement walnut stocks for them, for I loath plastic stocks, I know there meant to be an affordable rifle, but just don't dig the stock!

Boolit Master
    Izzyjoe,

Remember the American has a special bedding block for which folk may or may not ever take the effort to machine stocks to fit.

Just except the RUGER American for what it is. I like wood, but the plastic is sooooo forgiving in the woods and doesn't need to be removed and refinished as I did for a RUGER #1 this past Summer.

Have a couple "plastic" stocked RUGERS, one the American and the other a Hawkeye and they both flat out shoot.

I can live with it.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Banned

i've had two of 'em in .243win and .204ruger - just excellent rifles without even mentioning their cheap price tags. i'm thinking now about the american predator in 6.5creedmoor. the 'v' block bedding works very well and the 'fix' to stiffen (and add some rifle weight) to the plastic stock is to reinforce it with rockite (cement), to both the butt and fore stocks ....