MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Oliver F Winchester action strength

Boolit Bub

Oliver F Winchester action strength

Hi all. Have an OFW commemorative in 38-55. It is a bit of an old beater but a great shooter. I shoot an Accurate 250 grain tumble lube bullet over 10 grains of Unique. The gold is flaking off the tang and in a couple of other places on the receiver. I have recently purchased a RD copy of his 235 gas check from NOE. Hoping to push this bullet to around 1700fps. Most likely will be using h4198 or H322. Is the gold plated commemorative action up to this? It appears to be metal and not brass as a magnet will readily take to. I know there are a lot of Commemoratives out there that have been shot just looking for consensus as to whether they are as strong as their regular blued steel counterparts (post 64 Winchesters).
    Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    Easily as strong, my own NRA musket has shot many full-on loads and still looks pretty nice.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks mate. Exactly what I was looking for some first hand experience..

I have a OFW and the rifle is all steel its just a fancied up 94 lever action & good and strong.

What Pietro says.
    Last edited by gandydancer; 10-08-2014 at 02:26 AM.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Thecommemoratives of that era, as well as the plain-jane 94's are all the same action. The only difference is that the commem's are gussied up for appearance sake. They made them by the bushel back in the day, and commemorated everything they could possibly think of. Some were really pretty--others, ugly. Anyone I know that ever bought one and shot one though found theirs to be a really good shooter. Most were 30-30.

Every single Winchester Model 94 receiver made between 1964 & 1982 was made of the same sintered metal (not forged steel), which was then iron-plated before various different final finishes - Gold, Silver, Pewter, CCH, or a coating that only looks like bluing, but isn't.

You can shoot any load in it that can be shot in any other Model 94, pre-64 or post-1983 - just fahgettaboutit, though, if it ever needs refinishing.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the replies guys. This really is a great forum.. Not real worried about how it looks just how it will shoot. Will cast away this weekend and report back with results in the coming weeks.