Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 21 of 68 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: high velocity with cast.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Nice work, can you test at longer ranges? I can't without a bunch of travel.

Tim
    Tim,
    I'll be shooting at a 300 yard range in the next county north of here in January. Looking forward to seeing if the loads stay reasonably accurate past 100 yards.

Thanks a lot to all those who saw fit to utter encouraging words. It's more appreciated than you think.

Love Life
    Bjorn,

How many rds do you have through the barrel now? I am interested to know if there is any discernable barrel wear. Since you are running higher pressures now, looks like you can also see if cast is a magic bullet for barrel wear...IE longer barrel life in spite of the heat and pressure.

Boolit Master
    LL,
    I'm on a trip right now, but in my notebook I have the round count down to the exact number and I'll get back to you on that. As for barrel wear I haven't even thought about it yet. However I am shooting full powder charges (jacketed-size) so I would expect some throat wear after a while. I'll be taking the rifle to Arkansas some time in the spring so Tim can scope her.

Love Life
    Thank you for being willing to provide the information. It is commonly spoken of there being very high barrel life with the usual low velocity cast loads due to the low pressure. However a long and fast shot string can definitely bring the heat.

What I'm interested in is if the barrel life shooting high velocity cast is equal to, greater than, or less than the barrel life when shooting normal velocity jacketed.

My door in Georgia is always open and the coffee is always hot.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    What is the rest of the equation...
    I described some of it in the first sentence. Tell me what you think it means, and maybe we can discuss it.

Gear

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    I described some of it in the first sentence. Tell me what you think it means, and maybe we can discuss it.

Gear

I'll pass.

I think I'm gonna jump on this boat. I'm not going to be shooting a XCB yet. I am finishing up a Mauser in 308. But you guys have caught my interest enough. That I'm gonna go back and read the entire thread, and then try a few ideas I have. I will report back.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    I think I'm gonna jump on this boat. I'm not going to be shooting a XCB yet. I am finishing up a Mauser in 308. But you guys have caught my interest enough. That I'm gonna go back and read the entire thread, and then try a few ideas I have. I will report back.
    Check out the threads on the NOE forums. They'll get you where you need to be. No hocus pocus or rocket science needed.

Banned

nope it's pretty straight forward.
    I just had to get the right mold and think about the rest.
    what I have typed has worked for me.

I think me first try is gonna be the 22nd Egan bullet over a case full of a very slow powder, mostly because it is what I have. I've had fair luck in the past using 4895 in a 223. I may have this rifle scratched out to XCB later.

Boolit Man
    If a rifle/cartridge combo will safely and accurately drive a jacketed bullet at 2700 fps, what is it about a cast
    bullet that prevents it from being driven just as fast? Is it the plasticity of the lead? Is it the frictional heating
    of the lead resulting in the lead melting, just what in the world of physics, not malarky, that is limiting the speed
    of cast bullets?

No problemo going just as fast. Accurate is another thing altogether. Lead is soft. Plasticity? Less than perfect cast, or even with perfect cast boolits it is difficult to get it to exit the barrel in good condition. Paper patch it and most of this goes away and high velocity isn't too hard to do and accurately. Swaged (perfect) is soft (pure) lead so this doesn't help. Terminal performance is problematical at high velocity as the lead is soft (did I say lead is soft?) and boolits deform drastically and tend to explode, so the value of high velocity is questionable unless you go to high tin alloys and/or copper alloys.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    No problemo going just as fast. Accurate is another thing altogether. Lead is soft. Plasticity? Less than perfect cast, or even with perfect cast boolits it is difficult to get it to exit the barrel in good condition. Paper patch it and most of this goes away and high velocity isn't too hard to do and accurately. Swaged (perfect) is soft (pure) lead so this doesn't help. Terminal performance is problematical at high velocity as the lead is soft (did I say lead is soft?) and boolits deform drastically and tend to explode, so the value of high velocity is questionable unless you go to high tin alloys and/or copper alloys.
    The copper alloy is something I wanted to try to play with a bit more.

Banned

Short version. Why does the copper help?

Make the alloy tougher.

Threshold:

1. the magnitude or intensity that must be exceeded for a certain reaction, phenomenon, result, or condition to occur or be manifested.

2. any place or point of entering or beginning

3. Also called limen. Psychology, Physiology. the point at which a stimulusis of sufficient intensity to begin
    to produce an effect

4. a level, point, or value above which something is true or will take place and below which it is not or will not
    5. The place or point of beginning; the outset
    6.The point that must be exceeded to begin producing a given effect or result or to elicit a response
    Last edited by frnkeore; 12-26-2014 at 01:15 AM.

Larry's threshold is subject to being exceeded by good loading practices. He even does it himself.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Grand Master
    there is enough interest to open a thread and discuss this openly.
    it's NOT about why we CAN'T do it.
    it's about what we NEED to do to make it happen, the steps we took to make it happen in our rifles, loads, brass prep, and the expectations we have of our rifles.
    what worked and what didn't questions and answers nothing more.

ANY NEGATIVE POSTS OR BICKERING WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE THREAD, WITHOUT EXPLANATION AND THERE WILL BE WARNINGS AND POINTS ISSUED.
    READ THE TERMS OF SERVICE AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE IF YOU ARE IN DOUBT.
    YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

let's get after it.

Remember that? That is Runs initial challenge to us all.

Discussing rpm is all about "
    it's NOT about why we CAN'T do it."

Lets stay with discussing what we CAN do with an existing rifle to make it shoot well at high velocity.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    ^^^^
    That may be true, but everyone here has different loading practices. Those loading procedures you use might just be the very thing that stops you from getting results. I've asked what you people think are important and want to discuss.... on open forum. Very little response so far. Until you get the little holes in your procedure filled out, high velocity may just evade you.

Banned

So what is important to you to get high speeds and accuracy. We have asked you numerous times and you never seem to say what it is you do to get accuracy and speed at the same time. We get a run around all the time. For all we know you are still stuck at the 1900 FPS area.

Page 21 of 68 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast