Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: John Bodine 45-70

John Bodine 45-70

I ran across this doing some surfing tonight. I think Pedersoli makes a good looking Rolling Block. I sort of miss the one I had many years ago but it was a carbine 45-70 with a brass butt plate and hard to shoot from a bench. This one caught my eye and IMHO is most attractive. Not a Lone Star but an attractive facsimile.

NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Grand Master

My partner shoots a pedersoli rolling block ( pre dates the John Bodine model) at shillouetes with me. Its a great looking rifle and shoots very well for him. His a little on the light side and recoil becomes an issue. But it is a great rifle and is very useable all around.

I have to wonder about lock time. Best I remember the one I had wasn't near as good as the High Wall but that rifle was back in 1970 through Navy Arms. A fun rifle to shoot anyway.
    NRA Patron Member

i have an original roller chambered in 40-65 and i also have a new winchester/miroku hiwall in 45-70. there is no difference that i can feel in lock time. it just goes bang as does the winchester when i put a little pressure on the trigger. i can't tell one taking longer then the other altho it stands to reason that the hiwall with the smaller and lighter hammer with the coil springs should make the firing pin a nano faster than the rolling block with the flat spring and sporting hammer.

I have the Browning 1885 in 45-70 and it's fast enough.
    NRA Patron Member

I used a Pedersoli Creedmoor #1 RB in 45-70 in silhouette shoots for a couple of years and it did very well for me. I decided I wanted something with double set triggers and the Bodine attracted me. However, when I got to handle one I felt the weight would be a definite disadvantage off-hand. At a silhouette shoot one of the competitors had a Pedersoli Creedmoor #2 which looked very nice and, for him, shot well. After the match he was kind enough to let me shoot it a couple of times. Very sweet. Double set triggers and the same weight as my current rifle. I found a local dealer and did business. I took the Heilman tang sight and spirit level front sight off the #1, put the original Pedersoli sights back on and sold it to my brother. Then I put the good sights on the #2 and took some of my loads to the range. The same loads that worked in the #1 were just as good, maybe a tad better, in the #2. It balances nicely and I have no problem getting through a 40-round match.

so colcolt ... didga buy the snazzy roller? or did ya just find it and comment on it? kinda lookin at this model myself if the price were right.

I'm still chewin' on it. I'm looking at a couple of models besides this one. It's sort of like deciding whether you want the Biscayne or go for the Caprice.
    NRA Patron Member

LOL ... i know just where you are! good luck on the aquisition.

Boolit Mold
    I would love to have that rifle you should buy it to keep the rest of us from getting it. I shoot a plain jane pendersoil like it and have been happy with it.

Boolit Master
    The Bodine rifles have the round top receiver ring. I never thought they looked as nice as a Creedmoor.
    EDG