MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I think I Made a 500 round oops

I may have to look into that black hawk since I have a few already.
    I pulled 100 in 30 min. used kinetic puller hitting on a one foot piece of landscape timber not to bad
    Bobby

Another vote for the pliers and press- so quick and easy

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Radarsonwheels View Post
    Another vote for the pliers and press- so quick and easy
    The beauty of this method is that there is no need to salvage. Back into the lead pot.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    It's been a while, but been there with 1500 rounds of 9mm. I started to pitch the whole works, but two things stopped me. One, I didn't know how to do it without possibly endangering someone else. The other was to teach myself a lesson. I will not ever load that many ANYTHING again without checking everything. I can't remember what the problem was, but loading 1500 in a Dillon 550 is a lot faster than unloading them LOL.

Banned
    Its only an oops when it goes BOOM when you pull the trigger. Everything else can be delt with.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowtigger View Post
    It's been a while, but been there with 1500 rounds of 9mm. I started to pitch the whole works, but two things stopped me. One, I didn't know how to do it without possibly endangering someone else. The other was to teach myself a lesson. I will not ever load that many ANYTHING again without checking everything. I can't remember what the problem was, but loading 1500 in a Dillon 550 is a lot faster than unloading them LOL.
    Ask me how I know, I spent a winter pulling an ammo can of 9mm that only took a few hours to load.
    Lesson learned.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Using 9mm case, 6.2 gr Unique, 121 gr x 0.618" long bullet, 1.136 OAL Quickload calculates 61,300 psi. (SAAMI spec for 9mm luger +P is 38,500 psi max)
    Oddly the loading ratio is 140% meaning this is a very compressed charge. Its surprising you could force the bullet in

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by seaboltm View Post
    I resemble that remark too. Bought an M1 carbine because a buddy gave me an M1 carbine magazine. Had to get the rifle to go with magazine, right????
    Of course, you had no other choice!

Ok so I pulled them all. Was not as bad as I thought it was going to be put on the TV and went to town.
    Now a new problem most took 1 to 2 good hits and some took 4 to 5 good hits and where very deeply crimped. Never adjusted the dies after first setting them and tweaking. And they where mixed in so not like it changed at the end but off and on all the way till the end. Why?????
    Bobby

Boolit Master
    gotta wonder if the thickness of the case wall differed. or maybe the bullet diameter was different... or perhaps some bullets are softer than others and were swaged just a skosh.

Boolit Grand Master

Could also be the length of the cases. Longer cases go deeper into the die so get crimped tighter.

I was reloading and talking to my Son a couple weeks ago. Yes, I was distracted. no I was not having "That" talk with my Son as he is 24. But it was a bad idea to be having a father son discussion while reloading. So out of 400 rounds of loaded 10mm, somewhere around the 125-150 mark, the seating die backed out enough that my rounds went from 1.25 COL to 1.275 COL.

now I am debating whether to actually pull them. The rounds will only load 3 to a mag, but will seat fully in the barrel of my RIA Bull Barrel. I could very easily see using them strictly for reload practice drills at the range. Load a couple to a mag, lock, fire, drop, reload, fire, drop, reload, fire, drop, reload, fire etc...the rounds are separated by length and the correctly seated up to 1.26 are in the gun safe with the rest of the reloads, and those waiting the decision are marked on the loading bench waiting for me to decide what to do...
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

Banned

Can't you just seat them deeper????............or is the crimp real tight?

Quote Originally Posted by bobby65 View Post
    Ok so I pulled them all. Was not as bad as I thought it was going to be put on the TV and went to town.
    Now a new problem most took 1 to 2 good hits and some took 4 to 5 good hits and where very deeply crimped. Never adjusted the dies after first setting them and tweaking. And they where mixed in so not like it changed at the end but off and on all the way till the end. Why?????
    If you are using mixed head-stamp brass that would be the typical result. Case length and case wall thickness. Also seating and crimping in one stroke often yields mixed results.

It's a good crimp. The first few I tried all tried to crumple the case wall instead of seating deeper. I seat then crimp using the Lee FCD. I may need to adjust it to a slightly lighter crimp, but it measures right on the money.
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

I got a progressive press as my first press. Ha, in the last two months (my whole time reloading) I have probably pulled 1500. It's always better to fix em than waste time and money shooting junk. it's good exercise anyway.

Things I learned: Use a dry hardwood stump to hit. I carried one down to the basement. Takes only 2 whacks with my left hand instead of like 5 with a small piece of wood on concrete. Make a gasket sized to the bullet case so powder can't bounce out and all over your basement. Put an earplug in the bottom of the puller to catch the bullet nicely. Use both right and left arm to balance the workout! Unload 10 at a time and weigh the powder. It's nice to know how close your actual average was to what you labeled them.

I figured you would get 'er done quick!

All
    Thanks for the information coming in learning lots.
    Bobby

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12