Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7.62x39 improved?

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Load data for the 3030 shows 42kpsi as a maximum pressure and 2200 with a 150 . The phone app at hand doesn't give barrel length . Run the 06' to 62 kpsi and it's a whole nother bird . There is data that shows the 06 pushing into the 2900s with 150s and staying inside it's limits .
    However Larry Gibson did some lab tests for a friend who was getting 3100 out of his with no pressure signs and was into the 70s .

When you're working with a wildcat the only limits you have is will the case , primer and breach hold . I read about a complete masicist just the other day shooting a 500 gr 4570 something insane like 2600 fps in a #1 . I'm sure as heck not going to put that on my shoulder let alone a Trapdoor . I doubt very much that an improved x39 would do it with a 150. In a modern bolt or an AR suitable for a steady diet of 62kpsi and 110-123/5 run an extra cannalure in the bullet use a case that will get you a little longer . It could get there with apex barrel length and everything just so .
    Even the Herett is a wild cat , more a standard but still a cat .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    I was hoping 43u would share what he is doing. I do appreciate you sharing your info. I simply fell in love with the x39 and the nice lite weight guns to run it. I really need to scrounge up a barrel and bolt for my AR. Sounds like I am missing out on some fun!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Grand Master
    I believe there was an improved version called the 30 Kern and also, there is a 30 Grendel too, which would probably be a "much improved" case

Ackley improving the x39 would be a great improvement in the way it feeds in an AR platform.

Boolit Mold

7.62x39 just built

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    I was sitting in my treestand with my crossbow and again got to thinking about those neat little mausers in 7.62x39 and got to wondering has any one ever improved this cartridge and if not why not? Surely with a little more room in the case and in a strong action a 110 gr should get close to 3000fps. Maybe I am too optomistic but you surely should get that 150 gr bullet fairly close to 2500 fps. I don't even think .308 bore for this cartridge, I prefer the .310-311 bore. In a improved version no unsuspecting publican would stick one in a ak! If a reamer is available from who?
    I just completed a 7.62x39 build on a Howa mini action. Have tested it a whole 15 rounds. Easily got 2600 FPs with 130 grain Hornady SP. The whole thing is written up on 24 hr campfire under my user name.

My version is somewhat larger than the 30 Grendel. Necked up Grendel cases are too short to headspace and eject. Fireformed cartridges hold 33 grains of AA1680 to the base of the neck. The above was obtained with 30 grains, so well below max.

My next tests will be with 150 grain bullets and .224 saboted rounds. I am especially curious to see of the latter are accurate. wheelerdan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12