MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: How far can you a shoot a 357 Magnum revolver?

I know all of us can shoot 357 Mag a really long ways and hit our target every time IF our target is dirt
    My 357 Mag FR should be ready in a couple of weeks time.
    Never tried this before with a revolver, but this is what I am going to attempt.
    It may be a royal flop, but if I fail, I fail.
    With one cylinder full/6-shots, one-shot per target in 50 yard increments: 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, and 350 on 10" steel. Some of it might be on 5" steel at the closer ranges. Want to be able to shoot the string relatively fast, but scope choices can make that either faster or slower. LER scope will be slower I think, while I will be able to adjust for distance faster with a riflescope.
    Next, I want to put 6-shots downrange @ 500 yards with a group of 10" or under.
    I wan to try this with off the shelf Extremunition ammo. This is the ammo that Chris and I used at Bang's Paradise Valley Hunt Club back in September. Guessing a 180 grain XTP.
    Then I want to try a 6-shot group with the 170 grain Sierra Tournament Master bullets, also loaded by Extremuntion.
    Plan to video this and take some good pics.
    Of course, there will be a need to chrono loads and then get a ballistic drop chart, then actual proves the data with real world drops.
    100 yard zero.
    Time frame will depend on work schedules and the weather forecast.
    I may actually hunt with my FR before I do my distance goal.

Now, is there anything you would like for me to realistically try?
    Any suggestions on how this should be set-up?
    Not promising I am going to try it, but I will consider it.
    Thanks!

Thinking about using the wireless Bullseye camera system .
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Boolit Grand Master

Bullet drop may well be more than your anticipating. A 100 yard zero and shooting to 350 will be quite the hold over.

Heavy for caliber bullets are your friend, weight carries momentum & depending on BC will retain speed a bit better than a lighter bullet. See if this place also has available 200 gr.

The LER WILL slow target acquisition for your rapid fire and the higher the magnification the more so. It'll be interesting to see if the combination of your barrel length and break will allow a rifle scope, use caution in finding out. Ya don't want to show up at work with a nasty cut over your eye and a large black eye. People will look at ya funny.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieBishop View Post
    It may be a royal flop, but if I fail, I fail.
    Oh yeah, about that. If ya fail ya do the same thing you've always done when things didn't go well, get up, dust yourself off, figure out what to try different and have at it. What you want to do is doable but like most things worth doing it'll probably take some effort and my best guess is that it won't happen right off the git go, for me if it did that would take the fun out of it.

Considering a quality firearm and a good load bullets are actually pretty stupid because they have no idea if they were fired from a rifle or a handgun. It's people that are awestruck and handicapped by thinking . . . it's a handgun. The only disadvantages are launch velocity and thus retained velocity/bullet drop. The bullet doesn't even know if you fired it to 50 yards or 500, it will obey the ballistics of launch velocity, spin rate, BC and where the muzzle was at the moment of free flight regardless of if it was fired from a rifle or handgun, it just doesn't know that. The only other handicap with the handgun would be sight radius, it is easier to get better sight alignment with a longer sight radius but your using a scope so . . .

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Estimated drop in MOA with 170 Sierra TM: 100 yard zero
    ------------DROP -----DRIFT (10mph full value wind)
    200 yards--9.5--------6.0
    300--------21.25------8.25
    400--------34.25------10.25
    500--------49.25------12.0 Drop in inches is close to 260 inches with a 100 yard zero
    First of all, NO holdovers. Holdovers at these distances are NOT accurate.
    I will be dialing the MOA, using a reticle (multi-dash, for say every 1.5 MOA to 30 MOA), and then the combination of dialing off of part of the reticle. Like holding on the 21 MOA line and dialing 13.25 MOA for a 400 yard hit.

As far as using riflesscopes on handguns: http://www.handgunhunt.com/promo/mem...lty%20Handguns

From my research I believe the 170 TM is the best combo of speed & BC. I may be wrong there.

If I use the ART reticle or the other riflescope reticle I will be able to go to 350 (50 yard increment goal) with just using the reticle-No dialing which will be pretty quick between shots.

Agreed! Most people's biggest limitations is the 6" between their ears. It is good to know you think that way.
    Shooting is shooting.
    Failure is simply the learning curve to success.

This is a very doable goal, or I wouldn't be trying it.
    Longer distances are a real possibility, but I need a starting point that will stretch me some,

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Oh yeah, about that. If ya fail ya do the same thing you've always done when things didn't go well, get up, dust yourself off, figure out what to try different and have at it. What you want to do is doable but like most things worth doing it'll probably take some effort and my best guess is that it won't happen right off the git go, for me if it did that would take the fun out of it.

Considering a quality firearm and a good load bullets are actually pretty stupid because they have no idea if they were fired from a rifle or a handgun. It's people that are awestruck and handicapped by thinking . . . it's a handgun. The only disadvantages are launch velocity and thus retained velocity/bullet drop. The bullet doesn't even know if you fired it to 50 yards or 500, it will obey the ballistics of launch velocity, spin rate, BC and where the muzzle was at the moment of free flight regardless of if it was fired from a rifle or handgun, it just doesn't know that. The only other handicap with the handgun would be sight radius, it is easier to get better sight alignment with a longer sight radius but your using a scope so . . .

Rick
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for that link, I scanned over it & will read it in detail later (today is a shooting day) but it looks to be a well informed author.

About my recommendation of 200 gr bullets, I've never had a GP100 which I assume your revolver is built on so I don't know the cylinder length. I'm too stuck on FA's where the longer cylinder is a benefit for heavier bullets. Never having measured the GP100 cylinder another assumption is that it's shorter and a shorter cylinder will require deeper seating resulting in less powder capacity. Another interesting thing worth learning.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I'll mention them again, but the RCBS 180 Sil casts about 198 grs. for me, has a very small meplat, and I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't get as much or more velocity than you will with a 170 jacketed.

Appreciate that information
    I will be using jacketed first for sure.
    It is what I have and what Frank/Extremunition loads/sells.
    I will be doing the 500 yard group though in the future with CB's, as I have some guys sending me some to try.

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    I'll mention them again, but the RCBS 180 Sil casts about 198 grs. for me, has a very small meplat, and I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't get as much or more velocity than you will with a 170 jacketed.
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Boolit Bub
    Off Subject But

Let me Introduce everyone to Mr. Ernie Bishop one of the best long range pistol shooters around. He has written articles about the subject and has a wealth of knowledge. His article on using rifle scopes on pistols is one of my favorites. Myself, I am glad to see him here. Welcome to castboolits.

Thanks Nick

Thanks Nick!
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tcbnick View Post
    Myself, I am glad to see him here. Welcome to castboolits. Thanks Nick
    Diddo, I've enjoyed his posts and a few PM's with Ernie. Reading his article on the rifle scope on specialty pistols now. I gotta stop with the tips I've been dropping for him, I'm coming to realize he probably knows more about long range handgun than I do.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Neat group of guys here for sure.
    My FR could be finished by this weekend-I am very excited!
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Holland's MOA ART reticle. Not a great pic, but it does show how effective and easy it is to use a great reticle.
    Last edited by ErnieBishop; 11-01-2014 at 08:22 PM.
    Ernie "The Untactical"

Ernie "The Untactical"

Boolit Grand Master

No fair teasing! On Friday he said he still had the scope mount to go so that has to be a pic he sent you.

If like me you have large hands it'll be interesting to see how well those grips fit your hands. You will find a marked difference in grip from the mid grip or even the rear grip XP's. If you've not a lot of experience with long range revolver you'll soon learn just how important a hand filling grip and a very consistent grip is.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Buddy

Had to take a break from gun workClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415029539.052378.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	427.9 KB 
ID:	120913

Flint lock.

I used a grip like pictured and the standard GP grip with no problem.
    Grip I plan to use

Ernie "The Untactical"

Vendor Sponsor

You know, I never have tried shooting a .357 revolver, what do you hold it onto the backstop with tie wire? duct tape? I bet I could shoot one at 200yds with my .308 it has a really nice scope on it but with my old eyes, I'd have a hard time seeing it perched atop a fencepost after about 100yds...
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BCgunworks View Post
    Had to take a break from gun workClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415029539.052378.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	427.9 KB 
ID:	120913

Flint lock.
    Me too, .475 at 40 yards off hand. Attachment 120922

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415033570.797823.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	120923