RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45-70: Loaded for Bear

Boolit Buddy
    Looking at the "Linebaugh" tests, the difference between the 325 gr. +/- in the .45 Colt at 1200 fps and 400 gr. +/- in the .45-70 at 1400+ appears to be a wash! Anybody else notice this? Anybody have any thoughts? Pilgrim

Banned

I have noticed it. Speed and penetration are not a given unless the bullet does not expand at all. That is why the punch bullets cannot be beat. The test results are most interesting and worth consideration.

Cast Hunter

With my Guide Gun I've been shooting the RCBS 45-300-FN with 5744 and 45-405-FN with Varget. The 300 gave me a little better accuracy, but I wanted the higher down range energy the 405 would provide. 51.0 gns of Varget propel the 405 @ 1,745 FPS. The boolits weigh 424 with gas check (before lubing) with #2 alloy.

I recently completed a float hunt using this gun/load combo. I didn't get a bear, but put down a good bison (the write up with recovered boolit pics is in the hunting section). At least one boolit (@ 105 yds) traversed the entire length of the buff with very little deformation or weight loss. I am very comfortable using this load on grizz also. I would say your loads are on target as well.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    With my Guide Gun I've been shooting the RCBS 45-300-FN with 5744 and 45-405-FN with Varget. The 300 gave me a little better accuracy, but I wanted the higher down range energy the 405 would provide. 51.0 gns of Varget propel the 405 @ 1,745 FPS. The boolits weigh 424 with gas check (before lubing) with #2 alloy.
    RF, what's your powder load for the RCBS 300gr w/5744?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Why did you choose the relatively fast IMR4198? Did you consider IMR3031?
    I had the same question
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by dlbarr View Post
    RF, what's your powder load for the RCBS 300gr w/5744?
    42.0 gns of 5477 yielded 1,866 FPS.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    I recently completed a float hunt using this gun/load combo. I didn't get a bear, but put down a good bison (the write up with recovered boolit pics is in the hunting section). At least one boolit (@ 105 yds) traversed the entire length of the buff with very little deformation or weight loss. I am very comfortable using this load on grizz also. I would say your loads are on target as well.
    I read your bison hunt thread with great interest - excellent write up. The picture of the bullets you recovered is a great reminder of just how many variables are at play on a hunt. I'm aiming for deep penetration with no/minimal deformation in soft tissue, and bone-breaking force without shattering. It looks like that's what you got.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12