Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Got a name for this old tool?

Got a name for this old tool?

It is a one body unit with an insert for sizing - then reversed for seating -
    the decap expander is also the seater --
    OH, it is lyman .Attachment 118176Attachment 118177Attachment 118178Attachment 118179605x30 threaded

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I don't think it is 310, or tru-line - at least none I have ever seen --
    I don't think it is even lyman -

Boolit Grand Master
    Doesn't look like any 310 dies I ever saw, but that isn't saying much.

They could be home built dies to work in 310 handles, especially with no markings.

Robert

Banned
    Made for a T-L Jr press. But who made it? A universal die concept enjoyed a brief fling in the late 1950's, early 1960's. The idea was to use one body for all operations just changing the innards as needed. Supposed to save money but changeover and setup ate a PITA. So they quickly faded.
    All I have seen are 7/8-14 but having a small shop make a run in Lyman 5/8" would not be out of the normal. Reloading was a peak during those days and there were plenty of small shops coming up with great ideas for improved tools and trying to get their foot in the reloading door. This could be such an item. An inability to effectively advertise and market was the weak point for nearly all these small operations.

Ken

Boolit Buddy
    What caliber? My guess is might have been made for reloading at the range. I used to shoot with a man that modified a 310 die to use a Wilson bushing for neck sizing. Loaded one case over and over.

I think it is 38 S&W -- note the grooves in the size/seat insert -- the set screw in the body holds the insert in place --
    A method of priming is not with it -- perhaps a 310 prime die?
    It does appear to be production manufactured (screw machine) as opposed to one off --
    Other than the 605x30 thread all the rest are common threads --

Boolit Buddy
    Um, the dim recesses of my memory recall something called a "zip die" or similar within only the last 25 years or so.

The concept is as surmised above--a simple and cheap onethingdoesmost device for the beginner and/or low-volume reloader.

I'd go off to Google but the 'puter is starting to choke on the internet now. Or vice-versa. Or something.

Boolit Buddy
    It is obviously a whatchamacallit, made by youknowwhatstheirname. The exact date of manufacture was backintheday.

Sorry, but my Bride is gone for the day and I need to keep in practice saying something that I would be told was stupid!!

Jackpine

Banned
    This is certainly an unusual die. Most of the workmanship is top notch, only the knurling has an amateurish appearance. It is for use in a 310 tool or Tru-Line Jr press or Redhead press. Why you would want this type of die in a turret press is beyond me so that leaves the 310 tool.

The die body is one piece, turned from a blank. The die lock ring is Redhead. The decapping pin in neither Lyman nor Redhead but looks like RCBS. The seater stem is from another brand that I cannot ID but has an early Pacific look to it. The insert most likely is purpose made for this application. It is double ended, for seating and for sizing 38spl/357mag.

Who made the die? We might never know. The one man who did know is sadly no longer with us. This set is from the Ross Glascock collection. Ross left us, way too early, in 2008. He was a remakable man, soft spoken with a knack of finding the truly unusual reloading tools. Pavogrande was a close friend, I only met Ross over the phone. Several times Ross and I spoke about old tools as he was a wealth of knowledge. After his passing I flew out to help his widow identify everything in the collection. When I first saw what Ross had collected I was nearly speechless. Hundreds of tools of all kinds, some that still have not been identified.

Thank You Pavogrande for your help.

Ken

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_1752.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	120700

Boolit Grand Master
    If some body has a copy of Sharpe's Handloading book, I think I saw something similar in there. My copy was ruined when water leaked into my reloading shed a few years back but I seem to recall having seen this before. I'm thinking early Lachmiller, but my memory is terrible these days.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.