MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Okay, need your help..........

Boolit Master

Okay, need your help..........

Folks, I made a pitch to Swede Nelson, thought I'd ask your comments, idea's, etc.

My idea is simple; I am enticing Swede to make a "caliber specific" insert for the Lee Universal (one fits all) Flaring Die, aka, an after-market "M" die upgrade.
    [If you unscrew the Lee Universal Flaring Die, you will find two flaring inserts, one for small calibers, the other for larger calibers]

Here's my problem; when I try to flare any bottle-neck cartridge to seat cast bullets, the Lee die simply bells the case, or crushes one side of it. Most of my cast bullets get swaged, and/or deformed in the process. If Swede made a caliber specific insert (.22/.28/.30, etc) where the tool was made similar to the Lyman M die, a gradual flare, one could simply change inserts depending on what caliber he/she would need to "gradually" flare the case mouth and neck.

I'm trying to see if he would make and sell these in multiple caliber options to save money, depending on your needs.

What do you think?

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Boolit Master

I think it's a great idea!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    Can't you just order the expander plugs on M dies in whatever calibers you want? They're fairly reasonable. If you have both a long die body and a short die body then with the right plug you should be able to do anything.

Boolit Grand Master

I thought M dies were stepped. If the Lee flaring die crushes one side or deforms a case, sum ding wong!
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

dilly-

My idea is targeted primarily at those folks, like me, who have the Lee Universal Expander dies, and "hate" them.
    Swede's product would simply be an inexpensive after-market option to the Lee die. No more deformed cast bullets, or crushed case mouths, etc.

If you decided to prep some .223 brass, you simply would drop in the appropriate *.22 caliber plug into the Lee die, and get to work. You could order whatever caliber specific plug that you needed. You wouldn't have to buy a new die, simply just change out the plug.

* caliber specific "plugs" would have a slow "taper" to reliably "flare" the entire case mouth and neck. The Lee die, as purchased, does NOT do this. It simply bells the mouth of the case depending on how much you wanted. Not good with cast boolits.

Comments? Suggestions? Thanks,

HV

Boolit Master

I'd rather see powder through expanders made like m-dies, I'd sign up for those in a heartbeat.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I would buy a few of em, HV, for my Lee expander die.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

I'd rather see powder through expanders made like m-dies, I'd sign up for those in a heartbeat.
    Moonie, EXCELLENT IDEA! Why not contact Al Nelson and get his thoughts?

Chuck, I would love to replace the two pieces of "boat ballast" that come in the Lee Universal die. I think it would serve a lot of "US" time, trouble, and aggravation.

HV

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Go to Track of the Wolf and buy some expander plugs and the Lee Expansion Die. For odd ball diameters I want, just trim them on the lathe or drill press
    I've got about 20 plus: 25 up to 50 caliber. For my 22LR reloads, use the Lee Universal Expander
    Regards
    John