Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: tri-ball and heavy loads in semi-auto?

In Remembrance

tri-ball and heavy loads in semi-auto?

Any recommendations on a semi-auto 12ga?

The one i hunt with is a Remington 1100 2.75" only, and while i like it it is 45 years old, and soon will be ready for replacement. So i need another semi-auto smoothbore.

It would be nice if the next one was robust enough for the Tri-ball loads and other heavy loads we all spend so much time developing. not necessary, but nice. Are any semi-autos built to withstand a diet of heavy loads? I imagine some of the 3.5" magnums could. But do the 3.5" chambered semi's feed/cycle/eject 2.75" shells reliably? Thus, I would also like it to digest reliably all shell lenghts (2.75 and 3 at least, 3.5" not necessary).

One other thing, though I can get used to anything, is that the operation of the 1100 is not all that intuitive; it has that little tab on the loading lever that acts as a bolt close but also sometimes prevent a rapid reloading as the hulls sometimes dont "just slide in" the mag tube. i'd like its successor to be easy and slick.

I practiced "loading deuces" (two shells at a time) w this old classic, and it was a comedy of errors. In my 870, it was easy.

Is this asking too much?

Any recommendations?

C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Master

Carl, as you know you'll drop a grand or better on the newer gas operated semis. My favorite is one that didn't catch on...a 70's era Browning 2000. The A-5 was king. It features a unique loading sequence as there is a loading port on the left side of the gun. Nobody's more right handed than I am but I instinctively liked the system. Just learn to keep shells is your left pocket! With the bolt open you just slip a shell into the generous sized port and it instantly chambers the round, then 2 more in the magazine. Much quicker than a 1100. They are great pointing guns and will shoot 2 3/4 in or 3 in as long as the barrel is chambered for 3". No adjustment necessary. People tend to gunk up the gas system with oil, wd-40 etc, but they need to be shot dry. The only drawback on these fine guns is a thin forearm that tends to expand and wobble a bit, especially after a soaking rain or three, but never affect function in the least. I hunted HARD with a couple of them on doves, quail and ducks for 30 years, thousands of field condition shots and they have my highest endorsement. Keep checking gun broker and you'll find one with 2 barrels in good shape for 1/2 the $ of a benelli, etc.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx...=browning+2000

Boolit Master

P.S. I've got a great .600 2 - ball load worked up in 3" hulls that prints a 2 - 4" spread on the bull @ 50 yds. out of rifled gun. Haven't tested smoothbore yet. Been cooking a lot lately and it's bow season and just haven't gotten around to posting it, but will soon with pics. HT

In Remembrance

thanks for the info and looking foward to seeing the pics of your 2-ball load.
    C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

C-,

I have a mid 80s vintage Beretta A303 that chambers 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells. This gun, without modification, has functioned perfectly with everything I have loaded into it. Works with subsonic slug loads (approx 1,000 fps) up to 1 7/8 oz turkey loads. The gas system is simple and has no "o" rings. I have seen these guns on the used marketed for under $500, just make sure you aren't buying a worn out "trap" model.

Hastings used to make rifled slug barrels for this gun so they can be found on the used market but not so cheap usually. Beretta made slug barrels for this gun as well but I believe they are all smoothbores.

BB

C-,

I have a mid 80s vintage Beretta A303 that chambers 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells. This gun, without modification, has functioned perfectly with everything I have loaded into it. Works with subsonic slug loads (approx 1,000 fps) up to 1 7/8 oz turkey loads. I shot remington buckhammers out of this gun for about ten years and other than a sore shoulder there were no problems. The gas system is simple and has no "o" rings. I have seen these guns on the used marketed for under $500, just make sure you aren't buying a worn out "trap" model.

Hastings used to make rifled slug barrels for this gun so they can be found on the used market but not so cheap usually. Beretta made slug barrels for this gun as well but I believe they are all smoothbores.

BB

In Remembrance

Thanks BB,
    How does the A303 compare function wise to the 390-series? My son has a 20ga 390 or whatever the 20ga is (391 maybe?), and the bolt release etc are better than the 1100, but still has a quirky loading sequence.
    C-

C-,

A friend of mine has a 390 series with a 12ga rifled, cantilever slug barrel and it handled the 3" buckhammer just fine. He didn't fare as well with the recoil so he sold the slug barrel. The the 303 and 390 barrels are slightly different (intentionally?) and are not interchangeable.

As far as loading, just lock the bolt open and drop and round in and hit the bolt release. Then load the magazine and you are good to go. The 303 has an lock on the bottom of the forestock to use when unloading, I am not sure about the 390 or 391 series.

FWIW, beretta made a dedicated slug gun in the early 90s, IIRC it was a 390 series, with a rifled slug barrel and scope rail. It had a name, not a number designation, but I can't remember what it was call. Never shot one myself. I do seem to remember they where all black synthetic stocks and not wood like the A303s.

BB

In Remembrance

Does anyone knwo if the benelli M4 takes alonger barrel (26"-30")? or for that matter will take a wooden, more 'hunting looking" stock?
    The M4 seems to have everything I want; ergonomics, gas operation, and ultra-reliability. but its in shorter barrel 'tactical" style, which isnt what I am looking for.
    C-

Boolit Master

What's wrong with the proven benelli action? No gas to fuss with at all.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    What's wrong with the proven benelli action? No gas to fuss with at all.
    Nothing until Stoeger tried to copy it.

BB

In Remembrance

I guess i am used to gas vs inertia. buty i can be swayed.
    Do you like the inertia system?

The Benelli inertia system is versatile, but does not reduce felt recoil as much as a tuned gas system from what I have read. However, maintenance is less of a problem, and the recoil system is lighter than a gas system. I love my early Benelli SBE, as in H&K labelled. It is light, even with the 28 inch bbl, and that makes a heavy turkey load uncomfortable. But it is a great waterfowling gun.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

Boolit Master

The inertia system is still easier on the shoulder than my benelli Nova pump. I bought my son a slightly used Benelli M1 which takes 3" loads for $565 + tax early last year. It functions fine with 1 oz dove loads and is easy to disassemble and clean. I am a fan of the rotary bolt because it seems like it should be one of the stronger and most ridgid shotgun lockups out there.

You can also buy one of the mercury recoil reducing kits benelli sells. The one in my Nova even tames the 3.5" stuff.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"