RepackboxWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need decaping help

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy View Post
    To answer the RCBS pin question. Most decapping pins are not as robust as lee. The other advantage or disadvantage depending on your prefrance is the collet and rod arraignment of the lee dies. As mentioned is designed to slip,combined with a more robust pin is supposed to mean less broken pins.
    Thanks! Also thanks for the pin replacement tips bstone.

Boolit Master
    Loosen the lock nut a little more, so it can push up instead of breaking. Finding the 'sweet spot' is a trial and error thing. Start tight with known problem case, go easy, loosen until it gives.

Hang on to the broken ones if they have a little stub left. Those are great for lifting stubborn sizing dies from LAM'S or 4500's. Just find a lube hole and lift.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

lots of info thank you all.
    going to put the die in my other press and loosing up the nut holding the pin it was very tight to get lose.
    Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    That green ring is sealant the military and some others use to make the round water proof. Though I do think it has a effect on decapping at times. The Lee hammer pin does a great job is only a few dollars and is usefull for first time decapping, it is on the slow side at times. You can make this set up easy enough. Its a simple desighn of a cupped base to fit the case with a thru hole ( holds about 6-8 primers). A decapping rod that should be caliber specific to ease findiing the flash hole and a .050-.055 dia pin pressed in the end. Making your own allows a couple things ,1) caliber specific rods 2) a drill blank or shank to be fitted just long enough to push primer out. 3) the cuped base can be made 1 1/2 -2" in dia and a bigger cup deeper cup placed in the bottom allowing for more fired primers before it fills up. The Lee set is very useable but the homemade one I described even more so. A small ball peen hammer and a solid hit removes most primers first time.
    The ones with the green are the ones that broke the pins. they did not come out. there was only a few so I tossed them
    Bobby

make sure of alignment. And the pins do get broken, loosen the retainer bolt so the pin slides, might not work with crimped primers.

I'd try it in a bench press I've been using the universal decapping die from lee and not had a pin break yet. That said I believe it has the HD pin in it and I only use it in the bench press
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Bobby, Most complain about the pin moving and want to know how to stop it from doing so. LOL

It sounds like you got some real tough military crimped brass. What head stamp does it have. I do a lot of range pick up and have encountered some real tough ones.

My RCBS RockChucker press gives me good feedback and is awsomely powerfull. I have driven the decapping pin (RCBS) straight through some of these tough crimped primers. You may just want to avoid that headstamp brass.

Motor I will look at the head stamp and post back later
    Bobby

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 500MAG View Post
    Have to remove the crimp for first decapping.
    Pretty sure this isn't possible, but I am open to learning something new. My Lee universal decapper is so strong that I once punched a new flash hole in a 38 special case when my turret got a bit misaligned.

I'm only mentioning this because no one else has yet...one of the best tools I've bought lately. Where you can pretty much be anywhere doing anything while your dePriming your Brass. Is the Harvey Depriming Tool...http://www.harveydeprimer.com/ Love this tool....
    ............(Lông Trắng)............
    (si vis pacem, para bellum)

Banned

Lightbulb

I have the lee set up and its a new world decapping here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThMYhaZ-bMM

blk die, a dillon pre-expander
    dillon counter
    lee universal expander
    lee universal decapper
    I have a t-shirt hammocked down in a 5 gallon bucket to catch em.
    empty? (it holds a zillon spent primers).
    Last edited by gunoil; 10-07-2014 at 09:38 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12