Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: mauser 50-80

Boolit Master

mauser 50-80

I am learning to do pictures and here is that mauser bolt I put a 50 cal 1 in 48 twist barrel on. I made the reamer out of a 9\16th drill bit, slowly ground it to the shape I wanted as I took 300 remington ultra brass and cut the neck off and turned the bolt face to a 06 face, that way the gun can be used with other barrels. This is about a 16 year hair up the butt endeaver but it works beyond my wildest exspectation. The lee320 lets me get 70 gr of bp in and the lee 250 allows almost 90. I have been too busy to work on itClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0714.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	118052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0717.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	118053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0718.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	118054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0715.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	118055 but in the spring after my next operation I will get the loads worked up. I have alot of ways to play with this thing. I am keeping the gun a single shot as to load I lift the cartridge up from bottom and get it on the bolt face, it works great, easier than i thought it would. My hang up was I thought I had to make a repeater out of the gun and finally it dawned on me to keep it a single shot. Sorry I screwed something up with the pictures, one of my kids will have come home and help me get this right!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Cool! That's the kind of innovative thinking project I like!

In case you don't know about it, there is the 50 Razorback that is the same thing minus the turned down rim. But yours works and it's homemade so that's even better!

-Nobade

Great project. Will it feed with more than one in the magazine or is it a one-by-one proposition?
    Love the look of that big hole in the muzzle.
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Master
    it might feed because it gets between the rails (barely) this spring I will try it with the mag all together. I thought it would kick alot more because it really is light but its just a big shove backwards when using sand bags to shoot off of. I really do like it!
    Look twice, shoot once.

nekshot, you can usually get a mauser to single load by dropping the shell into the chamber, sliding the bolt down to it, then pressing on the extractor about 1/2 way back. I use my left hand, grasping the rifle around the sides and bottom so my fingers can push in on the extractor and my right hand can close the bolt when the extractor is sprung out enough to slip over the rim. What is happening in this process is as you push in, the hook is levered out. I hope that description makes sense, once you get it to work it is an "ah-ah" moment. I think it is easier than trying to work a case up under a 1/2 open bolt. ymmv
    kootne

definitely cool in the cool dept. cant wait to hear of your targets and loads.

so is this barrel a muzzleloader barrel turned round or built of good modern steel to withstand some pressure?

great project!

Boolit Master
    Nice work! Good luck, get well as soon as you can and I can't wait to see a range report.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    the shop I bought it from said somebody made some of these when inlines started appearing. This was a pain as a inline on the mauser, it did have a plug in to take shotgun primers. I don't know of the metal but I would not be afraid to run smokeless at 50-90 pressure levels however I plan to fill the case with real black! What little shooting I did showed very good results at 80 yards. This really is a hoot as it sure makes fellas take a second look when they see the hole in the barrel.
    Look twice, shoot once.

LOL ... i just bet!

Boolit Master

Here is a 45.70 BP I built from an old Mauser 71 single shot action that had been under my Bench for years.The barrel is from a 410 smooth bore sharps I square reamed out to .45,Rifled 1 in 20 using my Whitworth barrel as a Rifling Guide,made a Chamber Reamer,Lead Lapped the bore.The Stock is from an old Austrian .22 Rifle.The Sights are own made.

Boolit Master
    col4570, thats awesome! Really gives you a good feeling to bring a crazy idea to completion! I have 2 410 rifle barrels(smooth of course) and you are tweeking my thinker!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    nekshot,yes with a 410 smooth bore there is only 40 thou to ream out for a 45Barrel so a 20thou cut is needed.This can be achieved by about 4 passes with a square reamer packed out with one layer of paper for each pass.

Boolit Master
    Well, I finally got a chucking reamer to finnish the chamber and got a wee bit more length for brass so with lee 230 and wad I can get 90 gr of back powder in cartridge.
    Today I loaded 3 cartridges with 50 gr of surplus 872 and filled the rest with cream of wheat and lee boolit. I pulled the trigger at 50 yards and WOW, I heard the bolt snap off sear and saw dirt fly in front of target!! No noise!! Ejected the cartridge and smell of burned powder so I pulled the bolt and bore is dirty as expected from 872. Went to target and fresh ground heaved up 1 foot in front of target and in there lay the slug. I guess that powder doesn't have any future in this cartridge for me except as a air type rifle!! Talk about a quiet load with out a suppressor! This gun is really a Blast!! I love it!
    Look twice, shoot once.