Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Someone has to ask/ Ebola--How concerned are we ??

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Since it is the purpose of every organism to survive and procreate, the virus could indeed mutate into an airborne form. It could also mutate into a less lethal form, which make just as much sense from an evolutionary standpoint. Diseases that quickly kill their host are considered to be less well adapted or evolved than those which are able to live somewhat more peacefully with their host. Just a thought...
    How many die before Ebola mutates into a peaceful virus? Can anyone name a highly deadly and contagious virus that has mutated into a non-lethal, non-threatening virus?
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Moderator Emeritus

Last I read they think bats are the main non human vector

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Not exactly.

I have LOTS of black widow spiders around my airplane hangar. We all know what happens to the males. . .

It is not uncommon whatsoever in lower, more primitive lifeforms for sacrificial units to exist solely for the purpose of procreation, then death. Look how many different lifeform species die almost immediately after procreation. Additionally, it is not uncommon for parasitic lifeforms to ultimately kill their host--this is especially true in the more primitive lifeforms, of which the Ebola virus is extremely primitive.

For that matter, if you look at the sperm and the egg, in human reproduction, both are sacrificial organisms given that 99.999+% stay in their host, only to die. Neither the egg nor the sperm have mutated to improve odds of survivability.

The Ebola virus, like any virus, needs a host vector in order to initially reproduce in numbers and then be passed on. So much is NOT known about Ebola such as we still don't know what the host vector is. We were told thirty-five years ago before our mission in central/south-central Africa that several common varieties of monkeys were the vectors. In college, I read that rodents could also be the vector. Fleas and mosquitoes were suspected of being transporters, as were beetles and cockroaches.

No one knew. I suspect we still don't know. One thing we do know is that humans make for a fertile vector and the antibodies the virus produce literally explode in production in a human body, ultimately killing it. If the Ebola virus was as fatal in its zoological vectors, such as monkeys, the chances of it making it to humans would be significantly less because the monkeys would die somewhere in the jungle and the troops would kill themselves off.

But instead, the virus exists just fine in its primary host organism--and is overwhelmingly fatal in its end host, humans.

I don't believe in panic. The military took great pains and put me through equally great pain in order to teach me why not to panic and instead to stop and think. . . to reason out a solution by using logic, intellect and available resources.

Unfortunately, the butt-clowns running every level of government in the U.S. didn't have that same training and choose to lie through their bleached teeth to us. All THAT does is create suspicion and ignorance, which are the base ingredients for wide scale panic.

I am WORRIED, but that is significantly different from being PANICKED. By being worried, I can use common sense, logic and available resources to help diminish or eliminate the chances of me and my family being potentially exposed to this little bastard of a virus.

Anyone who chooses not to take this Ebola situation serious is a fool. Again, doesn't mean one needs to panic or run nilly-willy, but instead one should accept that our chances of having it occur again in the U.S. and possibly even have an outbreak are real. . . very real. Have some food and water and basic household goods (toiletries, basic medications, prescriptions, etc) stashed away; have some cash stashed; keep your vehicles full of gas and in good running condition, have several boxes of vinyl gloves and some masks and an ample supply of disinfectants on hand such as Lysol, bleach, ammonia, alcohol.

Common sense. Preparedness.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    How many die before Ebola mutates into a peaceful virus? Can anyone name a highly deadly and contagious virus that has mutated into a non-lethal, non-threatening virus?
    Spanish Flu. No one knows where it came from, or where it disappeared to. It's still out there, somewhere. Much like the Black Death. Supposedly, the Black Death was caused by bacterium. Push come to shove OTOH, there really isn't much they know about it for sure.

One of the rules of higher academics, is that new initiates either prove accepted theory wrong, or buy in lock, stock and barrel. That's why The Man From CDC speaks straight party line.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

Welcome illegal alien Ebola Hosts

Something else worth reading. Talks of Ebola making it to Haiti and Central American and the how our gov't might react to protect our borders and us from the multitudes of aliens who will crowd across our border.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/new...erica-is-real/

As the federal gov't gets paid in campaign money, media access, votes and many other forms of bribery to ignore illegal border crossings and in some cases, like the recent tens of thousands of "children" who the zero invited into our Country, this would be the likeliest route for the virus to enter the U.S. in uncontrolled numbers.

Uh-Oh, MARTIAL LAW, MARTIAL LAW. Hummm, I wonder...

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."

Boolit Master

Pat Buchanan spoke on the Honduras/Guatemala gambit on the McLaughlin Group last Sunday. Martial Law is the only possible outcome of this scenario.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master
    http://www.virology.ws/2014/09/18/wh...t-ebola-virus/
    A rebuttal to the holy-****-we're-all-gonna-die chorus.
    I don't know how many mutations have led to non-lethal virus strains but I do know we're exposed every day and we're still here. What was the common cold, way back when?
    Ebola is constantly, rapidly mutating but that's not necessarily bad news. Here are a few quotes:

The answer is no. We have been studying viruses for over 100 years, and we’ve never seen a human virus change the way it is transmitted.

The other important message from the Fouchier-Kawaoka ferret experiments is that the H5N1 virus that could transmit through the air had lost its ability to kill. The message is clear: gain of function (airborne transmission) is accompanied by loss of function (virulence).

I am fully aware that we can never rule out what a virus might or might not do. But the likelihood that Ebola virus will go airborne is so remote that we should not use it to frighten people. We need to focus on stopping the epidemic, which in itself is a huge job.

Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Quote Originally Posted by monadnock#5 View Post
    Pat Buchanan spoke on the Honduras/Guatemala gambit on the McLaughlin Group last Sunday. Martial Law is the only possible outcome of this scenario.

I think this is the exact situation the government has been waiting for, or in my opinion, planning for.

Boolit Master
    All forms of the flu virus are potentially deadly. Thousands still die from the flu every year.

If you've survived several infections of flu, no matter which strains, you build a certain amount of resistence to more recent strains.
    I haven't contracted the flu in over twenty years, used to get it bad every flu season. I've never taken any flu vacine.
    My mom survived the Spanish flu when she was a youngster, most of the adults in her family died, maybe I inherited some dormant immunity factor from her that finally kicked in after numerous infections. Knock on wood.

Boolit Master
    A rebuttal to the holy-****-we're-all-gonna-die chorus.
    Read the article linked to on the page you visited
    http://www.virology.ws/2012/03/01/in...-transmission/

It seems that theres more to this experiment than meets the eye. Also the scientist gave very conflicting opinions of this experiment.

Somehow results of testing using Ferrets doesn't make me feel that it would have the same result in humans. Maybe if he had used primates the result would be more conclusive.

Boolit Master
    Scary development here.
    http://www.nature.com/news/scientist...rborne-1.12925
    Just because you can do something is no justification for doing it.

In Remembrance
    Is there not a community of thinkers among elite circles which believes that the world population needs to be drastically reduced?
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Been hearing that for years Charlie.
    I think if they had their choice the ones to go would be the middle class independent thinkers. As far as the "elite" are concerned, all below them should be obedient, uncomplaining drones. Put a few uber smart ones in the labs, most of the rest should be clerking, digging ditches, washing cars, food service, maid service etc. Because so much of the manufacturing jobs are now located in foreign countries, half of all in between those two intellectual levels are an unneeded drain on resources.

Although I can't confirm that the "elite" want us dead, I can confirm that they see us as nothing more than a resource (think carpeting) to be used at the lowest cost possible and discarded at the earliest possible moment.

It was about 35 years ago when the "elite" stopped concealing their view that workers were not people or persons, but merely a resource like any other; when the "personnel" department was renamed "human resources".

smokeywolf

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Georgia Guidestones Inscription 1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
    Sounds elitist to me. It also stands to reason that the other 9 steps aren't practical until the first step has been taken.
    R C Christian. A riddle wrapped in an enigma.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master
    Is there not a community of thinkers among elite circles which believes that the world population needs to be drastically reduced?
    There was a scientist who was trying to get others to develop an airborne virus for the purpose of killing off most of the human race. I forget his name but I remember he had one leg, having blown off the other leg in a childhood mis hap involving a supposedly deactivated Bazooka shell he had found. Apparently he tried to launch it from his bedroom window like a sky rocket.
    The story of that accident stuck in my mind. The bazooka shell had a bullet hole through the nose cone which was probably why it had been discarded. How the victim came to find It I never figured out.

A fellow scientist had ratted this guy out after he spoke of his scheme at a lecture.

Boolit Master
    https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...=54AA9ED5&dl=1

We can go back and forth for months without getting anywhere. In terms of annual fatalities Ebola is small change.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

So far. Wait six months more and rethink that small change stuff. I hope your right though as Ebola is bad stuff.

Boolit Master
    In terms of annual fatalities Ebola is small change.
    I'm sure the Cappadocians thought the same thing about the Black Death at one time.

Last I heard Tobbacco doesn't kill almost everyone exposed to second hand smoke in days or at most weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    1. Have you unknowingly touched or drank from an unsanitary glass, utensil, or plate in a restaurant?
    2. Have you picked up products (fruits, Veggies) from the store that had sweat dripped on them by stockers or customers?

The list could be endless. The virus can live outside the body or even on a shelf for an extended period of time.

I for one, am scared.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    1. Have you unknowingly touched or drank from an unsanitary glass, utensil, or plate in a restaurant?
    2. Have you picked up products (fruits, Veggies) from the store that had sweat dripped on them by stockers or customers?

The list could be endless. The virus can live outside the body or even on a shelf for an extended period of time.

I for one, am scared.

Slim
    I am not scared yet, the odds are so low right now for exposure. If a few more cases start to spread or there are cases in my area. I am prepared to wear gloves and mask in public and not be in crowds. I know the mask is no protection but I hope it scares people enough to give me space and think about the situation.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I am not scared yet, the odds are so low right now for exposure. If a few more cases start to spread or there are cases in my area. I am prepared to wear gloves and mask in public and not be in crowds. I know the mask is no protection but I hope it scares people enough to give me space and think about the situation.Tim
    Actually, a mask is a powerful tool for protecting against a vast number of communicable diseases. According to whichever source you reference, the average human being touches their face anywhere from 400 to 3,000 times a day. It's like we're hardwired as a species to sponge up every disease that gets within arms reach. A mask makes one stop and think before touching.
    I was taught in First Aid class that a 10% solution of bleach to water will kill all known blood borne pathogens. Does anyone have a link to whether this works for Ebola?
    Winston Churchill

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast