Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman PC gun (No air supply needed!)

Boolit Master

Craftsman PC gun (No air supply needed!)

About a week ago I managed to break my HF sprayer, which has faithfully served me up until this point. I have had no gripes with the HF gun that couldn't be fixed with a pressure regulator, but I don't have the space in my garage to leave it set up at all times, and dragging out the foot pedal, box, and sprayer and plugging everything together was a minor chore that occasionally stopped me from doing small batches of PC.

After breaking my gun I clipped a 20% coupon and walked into my local HF store planning to buy a new one. However, I was disappointed to see that they were out of them.

I headed home and searched for a new one, and saw HF had the gun still priced at $80 ($70 on sale). I started searching other options out of curiosity and saw that there are very few sprayers and even fewer designs for sale out there. A PC sprayer is a pretty simple device, so I guess the need for complexity is low.

Searching on Amazon, I found the "Electric Portable Powder Coating Gun System, No Air Compressor Needed" which looks identical to (And probably IS identical to) the old Craftsman gun a lot of us considered back when PC was just becoming a thing on here. I know most folks went with the HF gun, as I did, but I decided for 50 bucks, I'd give this thing a shot.

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Porta...owder+coat+gun

I got it today and was very pleasantly surprised. It's your typical Chinese piece of hardware, same cheap plastics and feel as the HF gun and it wasn't expected to be any different in that regard. However, all the parts fit together well and more importantly it was dead simple! There's a jack on the back of the gun that runs to the "juicebox", which is about a quarter the size of the one for the HF unit. The box has a lead and alligator clip that you attach same as the HF gun, and you start spraying. That's it. No annoying pedal, no need for an air compressor, no nothing. Just put in some powder coat paint and start spraying.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, the ground line and power cable are LOOONG and easy to deal with- much better than dealing with the short ones on the HF box in my opinion.

I tested it on some of my favorite .44s, the Lyman 429303 and a new to me Mihec .44 HBWC. Coverage was good and "overspray" was minimal compared to the HF gun (I'll admit I used the dinky little standard regulator, so getting some "overflow" was a normal thing for me with the HF gun). At max power (dictated by how hard you pull the trigger) the spray was even, easy to apply, and not wasteful. Spraying took no more time than it would with the HF gun. After baking, the coating was about 0.0015 thick on my boolits (I used sized boolits at 0.430 that were mic'd at 0.431 to just below 0.432) and it sized back down easily.

Overall I am very favorably impressed! This unit is cheaper than the HF gun, works just as well for my needs, and doesn't require me to drag out my air compressor or anything like that. Powder waste was never something I bothered to mitigate, because I use mainly the HF powder and it's dirt cheap, but the flow of the portable gun made that a nonissue anyway. Everything landed on the aluminum foil on my baking sheet with no issues. If you like the more expensive powders I can definitely see using this instead.

Another plus is that in changing colors, this gun is much easier to do than the HF gun (unless you have multiple cups, and even then you still have a fairly large amount of the old powder trapped in the HF gun that will color your next few sprays). You just rotate the "lock", slide out the powder cup, and empty it out then rinse it. Couldn't be simpler.

Long term durability remains to be seen, but it's not like it's chief competitor, the HF gun, is any ironclad design either- I broke mine through fairly light use, and most of the wear probably came from packing it in its box and removing it as I didn't want to leave it out all the time.

So for those of you with space concerns, or who don't want to leave your gun out, or who just don't want to fool with an air compressor (I fit all three of those conditions) then drop the $50 on this thing. You'll be very happy.

It's also significantly quieter than running most air compressors... it's quieter than my dinky garage one, and it's one HECK of a lot quieter than my huge shop one (although the HF gun probably would explode if I attached it to that, lol!) The noise level is pretty much equal to a hairdryer, which is probably because that's all this really is- a hairdryer that imparts a charge to powder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41s3HuuNmvL.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	117974

Doesn't look like much, although I think I can see some Hi-point heritage in that grip and trigger, but for $50 you really can't beat this.
    Last edited by Echd; 10-01-2014 at 08:59 PM.

Boolit Master
    Good review Echd, I've always been happy with 45-45-10 but have been wanting to give PC a try. Thanks, probably going to go this way.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, if you've seen my review on Amazon it sounds very similar. I like mine and managed to get several cups for it (before the supply dried up apparently.) I'd also suggest making some foam "gaskets" for the backside of the cup so it doesn't blow powder back into the system.

Wow 50 bucks is great. The only ones I could find was the sears one for 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Joe View Post
    Good review Echd, I've always been happy with 45-45-10 but have been wanting to give PC a try. Thanks, probably going to go this way.
    You like tumble lube but wanna buy a powder coat gun? Try the air soft tumble coat method first.

I have one and it works great for me,I got it on Fleabay for $39.I've used it seveal times and got the same results you did,very little overspray,good even coverage,easy to set up and use.I posted some pictures on here of some boolits I did with it,but I don't have a link to that thread.I use smokes powder and it does a great job in this gun.So with my $5. toaster oven,which does hold it's temprature even and accuratly I'm powder coating pretty cheap!My problem with the dry tumble was the high summetime humidity here in central Florida,my bullets coated but it took two coats and they weren't very even or consistant,the craftsman gun fixed all that! morayman.........
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history
    when everybody stands around reloading".
    Thomas Jefferson

Interesting...I've been dry tumbling (without BB's couldn't stand that process) but I think I might look at getting a gun. I have an air compressor but it might be good enough for our application.

Thanks for the info. I just ordered one
    There are precious few horror films that couldn't be cut well short by a single loaded 12 gauge and someone with the sense to use it. -- K.R. Murphy

Boolit Master
    Still using it and still happy with it. No issues thus far, best purchase I've made in a while.

Pics or it didn't happen!
    I'm talking about your boolits. I love seeing well coated bullets.

Thanks for the heads up!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.

Another performance review of this PC gun

I ordered one last week when this thread popped up. Got it today. Here is my take:

Local dew point was 62F....rather muggy at 87F.

Unit is very easy to use. VERY l--o--n--g cord and ground wire. No heavy hoses or regulators. The only thing else you need is powder!

24VDC transformer operated so there is no HV in a coax to the gun. The HV fly-back circuit is in the base. With no powder container installed, I got about a 1" spark at a relative high DP.

Lightweight and easy to handle. About the size of a BIG hair drier. And on high, almost ( but quit) as loud. I will get my dB meter out later and report back compared with our bathroom pro hair drier.

Used HF matte black as a test on about 60 175gn 40's. Put about 3 heaping TSP's of powder in and let 'er rip.

The second you pull the trigger slightly you have HV at the tip. As you continue to squeeze, you get the variable speed fan kicking in which allows you to vary the air flow/pressure of the outflow powder stream. I like it!

The black powder jumped onto the boolits. You can get a gentle flow or a heavy stream, depending on how hard you squeeze the trigger. I played around with the different fan speeds and found out at the lower velocities (as with the HF gun) it helps to gently bump the gun against your palm to keep the fluidized bed action going in the container.

Learning curve is...........well.......... there IS no learning curve! Just plug it in, fill with powder, squeeze the trigger, and start spraying!

Coated rapidly and evenly.....just like the HF gun I have........without all the hoses, regulators, foot switches, and noisy compressors.

As said originally, it is all plastic and is built for a price. But for $50? Not bad. Not bad at all!

Attachment 118809

From my testing in relative high humidity (for AZ), and the ease and speed you can set-up and coat, this thing IS a keeper!

Now you can do Ninja black ammo!!!!!!!!!!

bangerjim

Boolit Master

Jim,

Them show is purrrdy bullets.

I am getting closer to "pulling the trigger" on PC myself.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Looks like I will have to break out my Craftsman gun. It does look exactly like this one. A friend of mine gave it to me and I stuck it on a shelf. One of those I will play with that at some point deals. It even has a couple bags of powder that came with it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    Jim,

Them show is purrrdy bullets.

I am getting closer to "pulling the trigger" on PC myself.
    Well, pardner.....there's your trigger! Literally.

ESPC has always been the "only true" way to do it, but I have the HF gun also and the hoses, regs, and compressors handy to hook it all up. Many do not have those handy. Dragging them out is about a 10+ minute process for me and then tripping over the hoses and wire stinks. And......the foot switch....oh, the foot switch! I just learned to live with those things to get perfect boolits coating AND matte black!

I have had very good success with BBDT (except matte!) and quite happy with is as an acceptable method. But in these dog days of summer, the humidity has really killed it. I can only just imagine how well this thing will work with very low DP's in the winter. The HF gun sure did!

It takes actually LESS time for me to grab the gun, plug it in, and spray boolits than it does to BBDT them. And you can literally (well almost!) throw them base down on the NSAF...just maintain about 3/4" spacing to allow the "river" of PC to get in and around them. No delicate picking and putting with hemos.

This thing can just sit on a shelf or hang on a tool rack and be ready to go in a flash! So far what I have read and seen in my OWN shop, this is a very cost-effective and functional way of ESPC'ing. Sure beats the price of the old Craftsman gun!

Time and more usage and owners will tell.

Good luck on your future acquisition!!!!!

banger

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4gYKHCi.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	118818

A picture I posted the other day of some I did on Arfcom. 310 WFNs and 200 SPs for 44s.

Hi. I ordered this powder coating gun too. But - I live in Europe with 220 voltage. I´m looking for 220v to 110v adapter. What is the wattage of this gun? There are many cheap adapters from china with wattage around 50. Will 50 watt be enough?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by namor_svk View Post
    Hi. I ordered this powder coating gun too. But - I live in Europe with 220 voltage. I´m looking for 220v to 110v adapter. What is the wattage of this gun? There are many cheap adapters from china with wattage around 50. Will 50 watt be enough?
    VERY simple instructions say nothing.

Transformer wall wart sez:
    120 vac 60 Hz in
    24vdc 1000ma out

Good luck.

banger

'm seriously considering buying one of these in 2 weeks from Amazon. I have some credit card reward cash for Amazon and a gift card coming. Would only cost me like $15.00 out of pocket.

Time to go on a casting spree before it comes. Just coated all I had the other day.
    Last edited by jwber; 10-11-2014 at 07:46 PM.

Awww, crip! Yet another nifty tool giving my wallet the 'come hither' look.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqncigars View Post
    Awww, crip! Yet another nifty tool giving my wallet the 'come hither' look.
    Look at it this way:

Think of all the money AND callories AND inches on your waisteline you will save by NOT having to eat all that Coolwhip on all those pies and cakes and deserts to empty those containers to dry tumble in!

HA.....ha!

banger