Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Triple 7 fffg and .45 Colt Ammunition

Boolit Buddy

Triple 7 fffg and .45 Colt Ammunition

Yes, I did a literature search on-line about using Triple 7 in a .45 Colt cartridge. And, although there is some information out there, none of it seems conclusive.

So, I want to present the question straight forward. Please, limit comments to the specific concern presented.

**Can Triple 7 fffg be SAFELY used with the Lee 452-255-RF Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee 45-255-RF.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	117940 in .45 Colt ammunition?
    **If so, what are some recipes for this combination?

Thanks

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Hodgen has or at least had data for it ......maybe it was Pyro P.

Ultimately the rules are the same for subs as BP.
    1 NO AIR SPACE
    2 Some compression how much is based on wadding lube points and what the gun decides it likes.
    3 777 is hotter and higher pressure than most of the other subs and reAl BP.
    4 Use soft lead 1-20 to 1-40 will do nicely.

I've heard (read) as little as 30 gr to as much as 37 gr for various cases wadding and days. BP and subs are generally by volume not weight but can be weighed by averaging several volumes on your scale.

I did load a few using the 452-255 RF. I loaded 30.5 gr weighed of Pyro RS w/2 1/8 fiber wads 1 waxed 1 saturated and squeezed dry in olive oil. The target results were as good as any decent load of smokeless and I got to shoot some BP loads as the Colts was intended. The loads felt like the commercial cowboy loads so I'm guessing at 750-800 fps. I would expect 777 to be very close to 900 for a similar volume. The current suggestion for volume is case inside length minus seating depth and wadding plus1/16 inch.

I'd suggest working it up in a RBH be fore trying it out in the SAA Colts or Clones. But to each.
    Later scaling showed the same volume to be heavier and lighter on different days.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

I have some for my 1860 but the stuff is expensive here 29.99/lb at lgs. Can't make myself use it in my .45 though I have thought about it. Any particular reason you want to do it?
    And just for your info... casting with a single cavity is about as close as you can get to zero production, while still having some production. -- Whitespider

Boolit Master
    I used 777 for years with the standard 264gr 454190 in .45 Colt. I don't recall the weight, but I put enough in to slightly compress the powder, as indicated. Pressure was quite mild.
    Loren

Boolit Grand Master

excellent. I looked at several sites and did not see that chart.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned

I worked with it in cartridges, muzzle loaders and it is bulky so you can't get a lot in. It does not like any compression at all, just touch a boolit or ball.
    Velocity in the 45-70 was sad.

In Remembrance

SouthernShooter:

I have loaded .45 Colt with FFFg Tripple Seven and the exact Lee bullet with some success in my modern-made Italian Colt SAA clones. I do make my .45 Colt bullets a bit harder that what the other posters recommend; half WW and half pure lead. I used a 30 grain (equivalent) measure which barely left enough room for a over powder card wad and the bullet to seat to the crimp groove. I have found the card wad to be necessary for the best accuracy and traditional smokeless powder-type bullet lube to work much better than the softer black powder lubes with this load. A good crimp is necessary to prevent bullet creep from recoil. While not as dirty as real black powder, it is still necessary to look to the lubrication of the cylinder pin after a dozen or so shots with 777. The fired cases need the same cleaning too.