Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kabul Arsenal 303 Martini

Kabul Arsenal 303 Martini

Are the Kabul Arsenal Martini's in 303 British a good rifle?

Super Moderator Emeritus
    the one i recieved had a bore that resembled the rock mountains of rust. everything else was great shape. as i did not get it to use as a 303 bbut rebarrel to something fun if was a good deal.
    Preacher Jim

Boolit Grand Master
    The name makes me think of the article in Guns & Ammo back in the 1970's about the Afgan gunsmiths making rifles from any old bit of scrap metal they could scrounge up, suitable or not.

Therefore, my answer has to be "NO."

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    The name makes me think of the article in Guns & Ammo back in the 1970's about the Afgan gunsmiths making rifles from any old bit of scrap metal they could scrounge up, suitable or not.

Therefore, my answer has to be "NO."

Robert
    This would be one of the arsenal made rifles not one made by the locals

Boolit Buddy
    If it is a true Kabul arsenal made rifle it was made under British supervision useing British machinery and gauges and inspected to British standards( would need to see pictures of markings to be sure),these rifles are the equal to British and European Martinies and if every thing is in order are very good shooters.These Kabul Martinis are not common and only started turning up after being brought back from the Afgan war and the study of them is a ongoing subject,I belive they will become one of the most sort after variations of the military Martini,now having stated this there are a lot of fake and tribal made rifles that have also been imported or brought back by troops and these vary in quality and metals,it would be a very foolish move to shoot one of these rifles without being checked out by someone who knows what they are doing,even then I am not that game

Quote Originally Posted by herbert buckland View Post
    If it is a true Kabul arsenal made rifle it was made under British supervision useing British machinery and gauges and inspected to British standards( would need to see pictures of markings to be sure),these rifles are the equal to British and European Martinies and if every thing is in order are very good shooters.These Kabul Martinis are not common and only started turning up after being brought back from the Afgan war and the study of them is a ongoing subject,I belive they will become one of the most sort after variations of the military Martini,now having stated this there are a lot of fake and tribal made rifles that have also been imported or brought back by troops and these vary in quality and metals,it would be a very foolish move to shoot one of these rifles without being checked out by someone who knows what they are doing,even then I am not that game
    Will be able to supply some photos in a week or so.

Boolit Grand Master
    Man, I really have to start reading the posts before replying. You clearly wrote "Martini," while I understood "SMLE."

As long as it checks out like Herbert buckland suggests, it should be fine.

I've had a soft spot for Martinis (rifles, can't stand the liquid kind) since watching the movie Zulu when I was a kid.

Robert

There is a lot of information on the Martini-Henry(577/450) and Martini-Enfield (303Brit) on the british militaria forum, including around the issue of kyhber pass copies, which seem quite a common problem in the US market currently:
    http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.c...y#.VCRipFfMa_I

And some information on the gunboards martini sub-forum:
    http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...ni-Henry-Forum
    ars longa, vita brevis

Here are some pic. Hope someone can tell me alittle about it. It is in 303 British Cal.
    Attachment 119065Attachment 119066Attachment 119067

Nice looking rifle, the pattern is that of a Mark I or Mark II artillery carbine. To my very in-experienced eye it looks like a genuine Kabul Arsenal and not a kyber pass forgery. The forgeries have an excess of stamps and proofs, looking too new and crisp.
    This thread gives some pointers to checking authenticity:
    http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.c...s#reply-130480
    The test for authenticity is matching serials on the left side of the receiver body and the left side of the barrel near the Nocks form. All other parts should bear the same serial as well.
    ars longa, vita brevis

Quote Originally Posted by sthwestvictoria View Post
    Nice looking rifle, the pattern is that of a Mark I or Mark II artillery carbine.
    This thread gives some pointers to checking authenticity:
    http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.c...s#reply-130480
    All numbers match.

Boolit Buddy
    Very good find,a future jem,how is the bore

Very good find,a future jem,how is the bore
    Cleaning the bore now, will know more in a day or two. Stock has lots of dings and dents and a few small pieces or splinters missing. Would like to make it look better but guess that would destroy its value?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Cleaning the bore now, will know more in a day or two. Stock has lots of dings and dents and a few small pieces or splinters missing. Would like to make it look better but guess that would destroy its value?
    Until a few of these were sent back by troops they were a forgoton military variation,there were not that many made in the first place and then in a few variations,most have seen hard use so one in even reasonable condition is uncommon so to preserve its value which will surly increase I would just give it a good clean and a bit of BLO on the wood if it needs it.If it has a shootable bore I would have no problem with shooting it

Until a few of these were sent back by troops they were a forgoton military variation,there were not that many made in the first place and then in a few variations,most have seen hard use so one in even reasonable condition is uncommon so to preserve its value which will surly increase I would just give it a good clean and a bit of BLO on the wood if it needs it.If it has a shootable bore I would have no problem with shooting it
    That sounds good to me. Still giving the bore a good cleaning. Were the pic I posted of help to you or do you still need some others?

Boolit Buddy
    The real expert on these Kabul Martini is over on the British Military Forums ,if you could post over there I am sure you will get a lot more imformation

What would be the best way to clean up the stock?

Boolit Buddy
    Just keep rubing boiled linseed oil into it every day for a couple of weeks. this will force the old oil out, wipe off oil after a couple of minets , and rub in new oil,slow but it gives by far the best results for antique military rifles

Just keep rubing boiled linseed oil into it every day for a couple of weeks. this will force the old oil out, wipe off oil after a couple of minets , and rub in new oil,slow but it gives by far the best results for antique military rifles
    Thanks

It appears I am safe with factory ammo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast