Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How I cast bullets

Boolit Bub

How I cast bullets

Here is how I cast bullets.

Cast bullets not only enable a shooter to shoot more cheaply but enable a shooter to shoot way more rounds out of his pistol or rifle before barrel burn out and action wear out (in auto pistols).

Well made cast bullets are every bit as accurate as the much more expensive jacketed bullets.

In rifles your barrel in most cases will last 3 times as long as compared to shooting full power factory ammo or bore damaging outdated and often unsafe blaster corrosive ammo. You will also get half the recoil and muzzle blast with lower velocity lead bullet reloads.

One of the secrets of shooting cast bullets is never to shoot undersize bullets down the barrel. I usually go at least 1 thousandths oversize and going as much as 3 thousands will in most cases cut leading down to a minimum, if not altogether. Accuracy is not hurt either. Most of the leading takes place from the melting of a bullets sides by gas escaping from around the undersize bullet, not from the base melting, so shooting the proper size bullet is must.

Gas checks do not stop leading but do enhance accuracy in cast rifle bullets as they keep the base of the lead bullet from being distorted and melted. I do not find gas checks necessary in pistol loads unless the velocity goes over 1,000 fps.

When using a bullet mold the first thing you must do is get out all the oil from the mold. This is best done by boiling the mold for at least 30 minutes in hot water over a slow fire with some dish water detergent added. Do not use too much or you will get a film of soap over the mold. Some people simply spray the mold with a degreaser which is faster than boiling it but if the mold has a lot of trapped oil inside it this often does not work. Remember though., that when you store the mold if it is not oiled I can almost guarantee you that it will rust. Just use WD 40 on the mold AFTER IT IS DEAD COLD and then seal it in a plastic bag and put it in an army ammo can that has a sealing gasket in good condition and the mold will never rust. Failure to protect your mold in humid climates will result in immediate rusting.

The next problem you will experience is rounded bullets. This comes from too cold a mold. Its best to put the mold on top of the pot while the metal is melting so that the mold will heat up to operating temperature and be ready to cast good bullets immediately.

For making really good bullets follow the Lyman No. 2 formula as I have found that trying to go cheapie and use straight wheel weights often results in rounded bullets, especially in smaller calibers with multiple grease grooves. Larger bullets with one large grease groove are more forgiving but many times its just harder to see the irregularities with such bullets, but if you look close they are often still there. In the old days wheel weights had some tin in them but like everything else these days everything they make is cheap and most of today’s wheel weights have not a trace of tin in them. Tin is necessary to insure the complete fill out of the bullet when cast.

When casting the first problem you will face is an overheated mold. To continue casting means that the lead will soon start to run out under the spruce plate causing the plate to cock and it will in turn damaged the top of the mold. The vent holes will also begin to plug up which will result in bullets that will not fill out. I generally put a wet shop rag down and simply turn over the mold and press the sprue plate to it to cool it down. When the mold really gets hot you have two choices, you can take break and quit casting (not practical when you are pressed for time or casting quickly) result to drastic measures. So what do you do? Hold on to your hat you are going to suffer a massive coronary when you read this. I take a plastic 1 gallon milk jug and cut off the top and fill it full of very, very hot tap water. I then take the mold with the hot bullet still in it and dip the mold quickly in and out of the water. Not done quickly the mold will cool down too much resulting in you having to cast a lot of bullets to get it back up to operating temperature. I have never warped a mold as long as the water was hot in the plastic jug and it will get hotter the more you dip the mold in it.

A WORD OF WARNING, DANGER, DANGER, DANGER, NEVER GET EVEN A DROP OF WATER IN THE MOLTED MELTAL OF THE CASTING POT OR YOU WILL SEE AN EXPLOSION BIGGER THAN THE BOMB THAT WENT OFF AT HIROSHIMA. ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES AND FULL LENGTH TO THE ELBOW WELDING GLOVES WHEN CASTING BULLETS AS ANY MOISTURE, EVEN NATURAL MOISTURE FORMING ON THE LEAD DIPPER USED FOR MIXING WILL CAUSE A MINI EXPLOSION.

Always cast with adequate ventilation, which usually means outside as it takes a powerful vent fan to get rid of lead fumes inside say a basement. I do my casting out in the garage with two doors open or cracked and I wear a painters rubber mask with filters that are made to protect one against lead fumes. MSA is a good company to get this equipment from.

Always make sure your sprue plate is smooth as a babies butt on the top or you will get sprue sticking to the plate. Many newer Lyman molds need the machine marks polished out of the plate and the sprue holes. Like everything else these days there is no such thing anymore as quality workmanship.

For rifle bullets I generally use straight Linotype metal unless the velocity is under 1,000 fps. You can push rifle bullets easily up to 1,900 fps with a gas check and with straight Linotype metal or the equivalent mix. For this velocity use a medium burning powder. IMR 4895 and IMR 4198 which are very good powders for cast bullet rifle loads in the 1,500 to 1,900 fps. Range.

I have found that pillow stuffing (usually about 1 grain) used as a filler, will eliminate hang fires and reduce the variation in shot to shot velocity by as much as 100 fps. I have had some loads vary only 5 fps when using the pillow stuffing which is outstanding.

Cast bullets not only enable you to shoot cheaply but are way more accurate than store bought cast bullets and enable you to make ammo for some of the obsolete calibers that finding ammo for is often very difficult and expensive. Example making 8x57 “J bore” bullets that are smaller in diameter than the standard 8x57 “JS” bore (standard German military caliber). You gun will last longer with cast bullets and your recoil will be much less which makes lots of shooting way more enjoyable and much cheaper too.

Banned

Sounds good except for one thing! I would never store a mold with WD-40 on it. The stuff will dry and can be the devil to remove. It also is one of the poorest rust preventatives ever made. I used it on my machinery in the garage long ago, bandsaw base, welder cover metal and radial saw base. These were painted parts. I would clean the dust off with a rag sprayed with WD-40. Every single item rusted very badly. I started to spray the stuff on the parts and the rust just kept getting worse.
    I made the mistake of spraying a cast iron table saw once and the rust never did come off all the way. I had to use a course Scotch Brite pad on a grinder but you can still see where it rusted.
    I keep my molds coated with Rapine mold prep, seems to keep them like new.

Boolit Master
    bhp9, you seem to have this casting thing down to a fine art. How long you been at it?

Boolit Buddy

I've been told WD_40 is a moisture absorber.
    Bullshot
    Bob
    You make your own reputation. No one makes it for you.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    It's supposed to be a displacer, at least with water in liquid form. I (like a lot of others) have had really bad luck with it keeping moisture from finding it's way into my equipment. In my opinion WD-40 is a short-term fix: Once the problem is solved, clean that stuff out and use a better product for protection/lubrication.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by bhp9 View Post
    I do not find gas checks necessary in pistol loads unless the velocity goes over 1,000 fps
    Good summary bhp9. I shoot pistol bullets in the 1350-1450fps range with no leading issues. I am sizing 1 mil over groove diameter using water dropped boolits at about 15-18 BHN. There are many factors. I agree with sizing 1-2mils over groove diameter.

Have you tried brake cleaner for degreasing molds? The stuff I have is tetrachloroethylene. I smells like trichloroethylene - the stuff we formerly used in the plant to remove flux from alumina substrates. Tetrachloroethylene is used as dry-cleaning fluid and for degreasing.

It's quick and cheap.
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms." (Federalist Paper #46) - James Madison

Heard on the street about our current POTUS: he is inebriated by the eloquence of his own verbosity...

Boolit Master
    Remember, part of WD40's "secret" formula is alcohol and vegetable oil. The alcohol has a short-term drying effect, and the veg oil is a decent short-term lub/cleaner. Beyond short-term, though, we all know what bad effects these two things have on bare metal. I use WD40 in the garage as a cleaner, and occasionally as a cutting lube, but NEVER as a long- or even short-term rust preventative. It just dont work for this-- in fact, it does the opposite.
    lathesmith

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Sounds good except for one thing! I would never store a mold with WD-40 on it. The stuff will dry and can be the devil to remove. It also is one of the poorest rust preventatives ever made. I used it on my machinery in the garage long ago, bandsaw base, welder cover metal and radial saw base. These were painted parts. I would clean the dust off with a rag sprayed with WD-40. Every single item rusted very badly. I started to spray the stuff on the parts and the rust just kept getting worse.
    I made the mistake of spraying a cast iron table saw once and the rust never did come off all the way. I had to use a course Scotch Brite pad on a grinder but you can still see where it rusted.
    I keep my molds coated with Rapine mold prep, seems to keep them like new.

I guess I am the exception to the rule. I have used WD-40 for years and have never had any rust on any of my moulds.That being said, after joining here and reading all the bad things being said about WD-40 I have quit using it....

I also used the boil in water and dish soap method to remove the Wd-40.Never had a problem just to slow. Then I read about brake cleaner and tried some cheap Wal-Mart brake cleaner and it works great and is very fast...Terry

Sundog.....
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

bhp9's post should be made a "sticky" or required reading at the very least.

Boolit Mold
    WD-40 won't even kill primers. I have for 40 or so years used SHEATH both as first marketed or it's later version as made by Brownell's as a dipping oil, which they, Brownell's, said was the same as SHEATH without the bore cleaning material. Bought 4 pints of this in 1980, gave three away and still have over half a pint left. A little on a cleaning patch goes a long, long way. Easy to clean off a mould too.

Boolit Master

Kroil is an awesome cleaning oil and a great bore cleaner too.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Try RIG I put it on guns and moulds. Had to keep them in the attic for over 20 years till after the kids grew up and the X left, NO rust anywhere. I love it. From what I have been told the Steel mills buy it in the 55 gal drums for the same reason. BWB

Boolit Master
    Sundog, I wondered the same thing!!!!!!Wes

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead357 View Post
    Sundog, I wondered the same thing!!!!!!Wes
    All ya gotta do is read the books,,,good synopsis though. Never mind , I am just way too tired!

bhp9

Nice informative post.

But you forgot to mention that bullet casting is addictive.
    WORK TO LIVE, LIVE TO HUNT
    SHOOT ONCE, KILL CLEAN, APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Boolit Grand Master

Great post!

I am surprised that no-one has commented on the "dipping the mould in water" statement. I do it all the time as well and have never had a problem - and I use cold tap water. I have read lots of comments warning never to do this but in about 40 years of casting I have never warped or cracked a mould by cooling (gently) in water.

Also. I am with the "don't use WD40 group" - at least alone. I have had experiences (not with moulds or guns) where the WD40 appears to evaporate and leave the surface dry and have seen rust. I do use WD40 but mix it with a light gun oil or 3 in 1 oil for moulds and guns. The WD40 helps penetrate and coat but the other oil remains regardless so I never get rust this way.

Having said that - I have never bothered to seal the mould in a plastic bag so there is a difference. Obviously that works for you.

Again great stuff.

Longbow

Quote Originally Posted by Single Shot View Post
    bhp9

Nice informative post.

But you forgot to mention that bullet casting is addictive.
    no doubt
    I just introduced my wife to pouring lead and she is hooked
    must have something to do with the liquid 'sliver'
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I cool my molds in a pail of cold water. the mold must be full of lead and dip it completely under the water and out again as fast as you can. do this as often as needed. it will not hurt the mold. another thing I do I use two or three molds ,when one gets hot just switch to another one.
    uh, I dunno! it left here alright.
    NFA, CSSA, Member

Brownie

Quote Originally Posted by uncle joe View Post
    no doubt
    I just introduced my wife to pouring lead and she is hooked
    must have something to do with the liquid 'sliver'
    JOEare you open to a job offer it is wife training you can start at my house lol

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE

crime dont pay as will as politics

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast