RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Good book to read to learn about casting boolits

Banned

Good book to read to learn about casting boolits

I am looking for suggestions about good books to learn about casting boolits...I found this one on amazon is it worth buying?
    Lyman Cast bullet Handbook...it has mostly good reviews...any input would be appreciated.
    Joe

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe88XJ View Post
    I am looking for suggestions about good books to learn about casting boolits...I found this one on amazon is it worth buying?
    Lyman Cast bullet Handbook...it has mostly good reviews...any input would be appreciated.
    Joe
    If you haven't found it yet, be sure to check out:
    From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

And the Lyman cast boolit handbooks are full of great information both the #3 and #4 contain extremely useful cast load data. I reference both often.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome to CastBoolits Joe,

The Lyman book is an excellent book, every caster should own one. There is some outdated info that keeps getting republished in each new edition but overall it is an excellent book.

Here's the pdf version of the same book Bullwolf linked (I sure do love his avatar). It's free to download and is a great resource.

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Banned
    Thanks guys...I just wanted to be sure the Lyman book was worth the money...it had some mixed reviews. I did find the pdf and downloaded it after I posted this....anybody else have any reccomended reading??

Boolit Master

Lee has a good book as well.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    In addition to those mentioned, Veral Smith's Jacketed Performance with Cast Bullets is top notch. Available from him at LBT. (Lead Bullet Technology.) He has a website if you do a search.
    Rule 303

Boolit Master
    While smaller and not as detailed.

I often referred to the older RCBS cast bullet manual #1. While it is becoming a bit dated (1986) It's still useful for data comparison, and as a source for specific load data with RCBS brand components, or a few different older powder selections.

It has a fair amount of information about how to cast boolits inside as well. If you look around you can sometimes score a copy on the shelf still, or find an old used version available.

The RCBS cast manual is just not as recent, comprehensive, or as large as the Lyman #3 and #4 cast books are, yet I still use mine often.

- Bullwolf