WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Badger barrels, Green Mtn. barrels

Boolit Bub

Badger barrels, Green Mtn. barrels

Both of these companies supply cut rifles barrels and I would like to offer up an opinion, rather an observation of the two examples I have and my trusty Borescope tool to examine said barrels. Now this is just one barrel of each manufacture and surely not what one would call a critical test and evualation. Lets start with my 1996 Browning BPCR with the Badger barrel. Close examination reveals the rifling tool marks to be as smooth as the bore drill or the top of the lands, if you will. In other words as the cutting tools is pulled through the bore the cutting tool is sharp and makes a smooth and precise cut as the metal is removed on the Badger barrel. The GM barrel reveals a different story, of course my GM barrel could have been cut on a Monday or a Friday, but the tool marks are terrible. Now I'm not a barrel maker, but I do own a lathe and milling machine and I know tool marks when I see them. I have been making chips for 25 years and I would like to hear from other shooters who have examined the bore of match grade rifles with a borescope.

Not having any way to take photos of the bore with the borescope, I'm left to the limitations of the english language to describe what I see. A single point cutting tool as wide as the groove width on a .45 cal. bore must be continually dressed to keep the cutting edge flat and smooth. Production schedules dictate x number of barrels before re-tooling and changing bits. Hand lapping removes only a tiny amount of metal and is not intended or capable of removing serious tool marks from the rifling process. Remember lapping removes equal amounts of metal from the lands as well as the groves. The end result is the finish of the cutting bit and the coolant used determines the "Cut Quality."

I would seriously like to hear from others who have a borescope and had "Eyes On" the bore of these two companies. I am not trying to degrade any of the current barrel suppliers but only to suggest an evualation and add to my knowledge. Let the barrels stand for themselves.

I would offer the consideration of leading and the difficulty of cleaning said leading with the described rough tool marks. Many tool marks to capture lead as the boolit travels down the bore. Just my observations, what say you?
    Someone once said! Never argue with a stupid person..........I reckon so!

In Remembrance

In my experience if you got a rough barrel from GM send it back. they will make it good.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master
    I haven't bore scoped my rifles, but I own a number of single shot target rifles with Badger barrels and have two with Green Mountain barrels. The Badgers shoot well and feel smooth when running a tight patch through them. One of my Green Mountain barrels has a loose spot in it and I'm not going to bother getting that one chambered. I'm not too impressed. The other Green Mountain barrel is a 1:16 twist #5 chambered with a Dan T. paper patch reamer and it's superbly accurate.

Chris.

OneMOA, I concur with what you have found. I have looked at thousands of barrels with a borescope, that being part of my daily life. They come in all levels of quality! They also come in all levels of price. If I were to pay as much as a Badger blank costs, I would expect to get a very good quality barrel. At the price level Green Mountain sells their barrels at, I would not expect to see the same thing and I don't. They do, however, usually work quite well and I feel are well worth the money.

The thing that really gets me are the "top notch" barrel makers who charge top notch prices and put out barrels that are incorrect. There are a few out there that give you a product that looks quite nice to the borescope but don't measure properly dimensionally. That has cost me plenty in the past, when I would have to replace barrels for free because some guy's new custom rifle wouldn't shoot accurately. This is why I will only supply barrels for modern rifles from two makers, and if you give me a blank from one of the ones I don't use I will not guarantee your finished rifle will shoot well.

Oh, if you really want to see an interesting example of dull tools check out a Bergara barrel on one of the newer CVA muzzleloaders. I got one in yesterday, and the rifling cutter was so dull it plowed up burrs on the sides of the lands high enough to reduce the bore diameter of the 50 caliber barrel to .496". Very interesting to look at, but I bet it's a pain for the owner trying to load plastic sabots in it!

-Nobade

Boolit Buddy

I have 3 GM barrels - replacements for a production muzzleloader. Have had all of these for many years and never scoped any of them but they all shoot extremely well. I do have a bore scope, however, and think I'll take a look to see what there is to see. This is an interesting thread...

Boolit Master
    Nobade
    So will you tell us the two brands that you will guarantee?

Boolit Bub
    For those who may want to check out barrel replacement for their BPCR or long range rifle the choices are slim. In .45 cal. and 32" length (assuming one would cut 1" off each end) GM is the only one I could find doing a quick Google search. Apparently the demand is not there for the manufacturers. Plenty of bench rest and .22 cal. I would like to hear from anyone else who has a GM barrel and a borescope to chime in here.......or a Badger for that matter. The Badger may be a moot point since they are not available anymore.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Contact Oregon barrel, they will cut the barrel to your bore and twist specs, plus the outside contour. High quality barrels at an affordable price.
    Also Buffalo Arms has Douglas barrels available, and if they are all as good as the one on this new CPA rifle, they're as good or better than anything Badger ever turned out.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Bub

Boolit Grand Master

Krieger's are my first choice. The only issues I see is some barrel makers don't offer barrel blanks in octagon so you have to have them cut and some of the button rifled barrel makers don't catalog the over 30 inch barrels. Length is not an issue with the cut rifled barrel makers. With the button most will do longer for an upcharge. Pac-Nor will go up to 45"
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-01-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I agree with Nobade. Green mountain barrels usually trounce factory barrels soundly. I expect 1 1/4" groups right off the bat, and all mine have gotten better as they have been shot and wind up about 3/4MOA after they have been "broken in".
    Of course, I never have used their cut rifles barrels (those are slightly more expensive than their typical button pulled barrels that you get for a bill but their run of the mill barrels are rough on the inside......and shoot better than factory 99% of the time. Of course, I attribute most of that success to properly cut throats with a piloted reamer. I don't know how the factory's manage to cut throats off center, but they are making an absolute habit of it!

If I'm building a true target rifle, my criteria is pretty strict:
    I want it straight within .005 end to end (no perceptible hook at all to my eye).
    I want consistent diameter end to end (no loose spots).
    I want consistent internal finish with all the lines going with the rifling.
    I want consistent twist rate (which I cannot measure, and have to trust the manufacturer).
    I want the outside of the barrel to be running within .002 of the inside of the barrel (especially from the last 3/4 of the barrel).
    Krieger has met this criteria consistently and I trust them.

Dig on the list on this website. Pay attention to the first three and the last two. I agree.
    http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/0...-rifle-barrel/
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Bub
    Goodsteel,

Your comments bring to mind a story from my long past days of shooting rimfire benchrest. Many folks used a Sako action for their sporter class rifle and the barrels were drop in like the Ruger 10/22. The reason for the Sako action was that Jewell made a trigger adjustable down to 1.5 oz. I bought a barrel from Lilja and again this was a drop in barrel. The thing wouldn't shoot for beans. After playing with it for awhile, I decided to re-crown the muzzle. When I chucked it up in my lathe, I was amazed to find the bore was .014 off center with the outside of the barrel. I sent it back and Lilja replaced it. I sold the barrel without installing it and went with another brand of barrel, I think it was a Border barrel from the UK.

Later on as I became more educated on precision rimfire barrels, I would order three barrels, all matching and from the same outfit. I would slug them, carefully measure them, and yes check them with my borescope. One would be a keeper the other two would go back. These would all be recognized precision barrel makers and yes bad stuff goes out the door all the time and let the gunsmith sort it out and send it back if need be.

Boolit Master

I have been reading this with a lot of interest because I have three Green Mountain barrels, a heavy 458 (chambered in 45/90) with cut rifling (it's the one at Midway, 1.270" diameter 35"), a .22 Magnum 21" with button rifling and another 45 caliber octagon 26" with button rifling that I got from Track of the Wolf. The heavy cut rifling barrel that's on my Highwall shoots much better than I can and I have been very happy with it but then I'm not a competition shooter and I have not examined it with a bore scope, the 22 magnum is on my scaled down "baby" highwall and it too shoots really good, certainly not BR quality but probably better than most factory rifles. The third GM barrel from Track of the Wolf will be going on my next (and last) highwall project which is also going to be a 45/90 like the first one but much lighter, it was already a tapered octagon unlike the other one which was just a round blank. If this button rifled barrel shoots as good as the one with cut rifling I will be quite happy with it but with every single shot I have using GM barrels this thread had me kind of spooked at first!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    Nobade
    So will you tell us the two brands that you will guarantee?
    Bartlein and Kreiger. I have never seen a bad barrel from either of them.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    Other sources are Ron Smith, and BRC. Ron Smith's barrels are excellent. I've seen a few good reviews of BRC barrels but have no experience with them.

http://brcrifles.com/brcrifles.htm

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Bartlein and Kreiger. I have never seen a bad barrel from either of them.

-Nobade
    It's like I hear an echo.....
    LOL!
    I haven't had the pleasure of a Bartlien yet, but based on the chart I posted above, I wouldn't hesitate. I guess the smith gets to trust a certain barrel, and the clients trust the smith, so the overwhelming majority of barrels that come through my shop are Krieger, followed by Green Mountain.
    So far, every Krieger has been a sleeper. Just ream a concentric throat and turn a good square crown, and its in the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    Other sources are Ron Smith, and BRC. Ron Smith's barrels are excellent. I've seen a few good reviews of BRC barrels but have no experience with them.

http://brcrifles.com/brcrifles.htm

Chris.
    Since Al Storey (BRC rifles) is just down the road from me a bit I have been wanting to try one of his barrels. He doesn't make anything that I would use in the shop, since all we build are modern high power bolt guns. But my own personal rifles would be a good place to put one of his barrels to the test. Some day I'll get one from him to try out. I really would like to have one of his whole rifles!

-Nobade

Boolit Master

Not trying to highjack the thread but I have a question for you barrel guys, I know a barrel blank is marked for the chamber end and of course that's the end I used but what is the reason for this? I slugged both ends and I couldn't measure any difference but is that supposed to be what the difference is? What if, for instance 2" were to be cut off of each end would that change anything? No real reason to know other than just plain curiosity, I would always use the manufacturers suggested end for chambering but I just would like to know why?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    Not trying to highjack the thread but I have a question for you barrel guys, I know a barrel blank is marked for the chamber end and of course that's the end I used but what is the reason for this? I slugged both ends and I couldn't measure any difference but is that supposed to be what the difference is? What if, for instance 2" were to be cut off of each end would that change anything? No real reason to know other than just plain curiosity, I would always use the manufacturers suggested end for chambering but I just would like to know why?
    Ill take a stab at this.
    The theory (that I cannot substantiate nor prove) is that the end that is the worst, loosest, or that got the start of the rifling cutter and is off because of it loading under the cut, is the one they mark for the chamber because when you ream it, it's going to remove a few inches of rifling (length of the chamber) but I suspect that high end barrel companies have this down to such a fine art, there is no difference that we could possibly perceive with a lead slug.
    There are certain things that we cannot measure. Consistency of twist and depth of rifling are two of those things. However, I have spent a few hours talking to the engineers at Krieger, and believe me, they have the ability to measure all of these things and they do. On every.......single.......barrel.
    I wont go into the specifics of the tool design, as I was warned this was proprietary information (not that they went into very much detail), but they succeeded in satisfying me that I can trust the quality coming from them.
    It bothers me when I have to take someones word on accuracy and precision as it is very rare to find someone who truly understands these things on a basic level, but Krieger has convinced me that they do, and they care about it as much as I do, and they know much better than I do how to make that happen in a precision rifle barrel.
    So when it comes to rifling consistency, accuracy, and precision, I have no choice but to trust the manufacturer, and Kreiger has succeeded in winning my respect and trust.
    Not that they are the only folks that can make a good barrel, but I feel very safe putting my mark on barrels from that company.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 10-02-2014 at 09:13 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I was told the mark was to make sure lines were in right direction and lapping cut more at start of stroke thane slwed its cutting as the stroke went longer marking "start end gets the minute taper in the right direction for best accuracy. With modern techneques and compounds its not nearly as pronounced as it used to be. I have never had a bad Krieger, Pac Nor, lilja or Hart barrel. I used Krieger maytch service rifle heavys on my M1As for high power competition and every one was as good as or better than the last. My gunsmith really liked fitting up the kriegers as they had extra on ech shoulder to fit and time, he also knew it wouldnt be a waste of his time fitting a barrel that wouldnt perform.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast