Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Why use a toaster oven?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Dale View Post
    What's next? "Can I deep fry the thanksgiving turkey in my lead smelting pot"
    Quote Originally Posted by StromBusa View Post
    OMG, is that a bad idea???????????

Yep, it's a bad idea. Although it's great having your smelting rig handy when it's time to do the turkey, all that polysaturated organic bird residue left in the pot will absolutely destroy your ingots. Just don't do it!!
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Can you imagine all the wrinkles you'd get in your boolits if you cast with turkey-frying-oil-contaminated alloy?

(No, I'm not going to make an acronym for that!)
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by StromBusa View Post
    still nobody posting that they died from it......
    I'm not sure if I died. I probably just smell that way.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    Can you imagine all the wrinkles you'd get in your boolits if you cast with turkey-frying-oil-contaminated alloy?

(No, I'm not going to make an acronym for that!)
    TFOCA. And does it taste like chicken
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    I work in the plastics industry. It includes electrostatic powder coating, both polyester and epoxy in small amounts. Also, powder coating by dipping parts in a fluidizer bed. This for over 35 years. I've lost coworkers and friends to the effects, which are CANCER. It doesn't happen overnight but, from exposure over many years. Most didn't think they needed to wear respirator protection back then, it wasn't required, just suggested. They put parts in ovens and removed them with no respirators. They worked in close proximity to the ovens. They only breathed in small amounts of dust and fumes.

Please, don't take precautions lightly, limit any exposure as much as you can. If you can smell it, you're being exposed to it. Use PC in well ventilated areas only. Never in your living space!
    I always wondered if the powder coated bullets are safe to shoot, in terms of inhaling particles.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Unless you coat and shoot PC boolits 5 days a week 8 hours a day, I doubt you will ever have any problems!!!!!! Just keep things in a logical perspective.

But always try to bake outside or in a VERY WELL ventilated area. I sure do.

The smoke from gun powders and primes are sad to be far more harmful than the tiny bit of PC particulate stuff you will ever see just shooting them. I find no PC traces in my barrels.

Do what you feel is best for you, but I feel the coating over of the raw lead is far more beneficial agaiinst carcinogens from the lead than worrying about the PC. Lead is a proven health problem.

Always wear the safety equipment you feel is necessary for what you are doing......in anything!

bangerjim

Interesting discussion. I work at a water treatment facility, you who drink tap water other than from a well don't want to know what goes in your water.

But on topic more so - what if the boolits are put into a foil pan with foil covering it? Would that not trap any of the so mentioned stuff that seems to collect in the ovens? Just curious if it's been even tried before.

Boolit Grand Master

I have never seen anybody try that, newton. I don't know exactly what comes out of em when cooking, but the foil would have to contain the outgassing and expanding air under the foil, because whatever comes out of em will stain the inside of the oven and the glass to be the same color you use most often. It's not going to coat it in one bake...... but it won't be long before you'll know somebody has been baking colored polyester in there.

Read the INSTRUCTIONS on the powder! What's the matter with some of you people? Stupid is Stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post
    Read the INSTRUCTIONS on the powder! What's the matter with some of you people? Stupid is Stupid.
    My powder like many others on here didn't come with INSTRUCTIONS.I and others will ignore the crass remark. morayman............
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history
    when everybody stands around reloading".
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Mamma said don't use hers for that. A toaster oven was the cheapest alternative. My feet are still warm at night.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Boolit Grand Master

I picked up a nice roomy 3-rack convection toaster on Craigslist (looked new!) for 30 bucks. I saw one in the Thrift store and looked at it but didn't buy it, that was only 10 bucks, and it was gone the next day when I went back to get it. So they are out there and cheap! No need to make your cooking oven stinky, no matter if it is hazardous or not. And with folks getting new kitchen appliances for Christmas, the thrift stores should be full of used 'lectric goodies by the end of the month!

Boolit Buddy
    Just thought I'd Chime in as a practicing Doc....

Do you know how we decide 'stuff' is bad for you?

2-3 ways.

1. we give it to you in a concentration camp and see if it messes you up - Nazi method. Not real popular
    2. give it to animals until we get thru primates and if it doesn't screw them up, we try dumb college kids with paid studies or desperate folks that have no choice.
    3. variations of the above

now the take home message is 2 part. A. we don't test that long before we conclude safe or not. B. long term damage is assessed/discovered AFTER it has happened.

In other words, what is viewed safe today, may change 5 years from now when everyone exposed gets Cancer, Diabetes, has heart damage, ETC. AND THEN ITS TOO LATE.

Don't take stupid chances with stuff that is similar or proven to hurt you. Its not worth it. Remember all those Drug lawyer commercial are for people that have already taken an FDA approved 'Safe" Rx.
    Smooth is Fast

Boolit Grand Master

Good post! If it were a choice of buying a Star and all the dies or not being able to shoot...... maybe some might decide that some risks might be in order.... but not with this cheap technique.
    Toaster ovens just aren't that out-of-range... whether $10 used at Thrift Store or $70 brand new at WalMart. (Our WM has a selection of really nice convection toaster ovens from $35-70)

Boolit Man
    So my boolits don't smell like pizza.! And the workshop toaster oven is mine and I don't have to share it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345