Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why use a toaster oven?

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Great... Now I gotta add "TO" to the acronyms list.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    Great... Now I gotta add "TO" to the acronyms list.
    And add AL='acronym list'.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Quote Originally Posted by el34 View Post
    Was the cancer attributed to the pc? (Not a challenge, just a genuine truth-seeking question.)
    No. No absolute proof, just an observation over the years. We have large incidences of both cancer and Parkinson's disease. I haven't seen any real conclusive evidence to the effects of long term use.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    No. No absolute proof, just an observation over the years.
    Observations are important too. If there was an obvious higher-than-normal occurrence of any kind of disease it would be telling you something real.

Probably more true than not is that breathing any airborne particulate stuff day after day for a long time, including Pam, will cause trouble. An occasional exposure might not count much except for cyanide and other poisons and pathogens.
    Last edited by el34; 10-05-2014 at 12:15 PM.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Everyone has a different tolerance level. You don't know till you're real sick. I refuse to be the guinea pig for anyone's study of the terminal effects of any type of exposure. Oink.. not!

BTW, I don't even allow the girls to apply or remove fingernail polish in the house. Low VOC or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    Everyone has a different tolerance level. You don't know till you're real sick. I refuse to be the guinea pig for anyone's study of the terminal effects of any type of exposure. Oink.. not!
    I absolutely agree! Until you know something's safe you have to assume otherwise. I just don't stop there if it's not too hard to find out a little more because it's good to find out you can be more free than you thought. It's like the chances for being killed in a car are greater than zero but the freedom to use a car is more important that the (perceived or ignored) small risk of a fatal event, even when other transportation could be used.

hmmmm....dirt bike/powdercoating shed???Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	118410
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/cust...pic31753_1.gif
    "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm." Dorothy Parker

Why use a toaster oven?

Never mind the powdercoat. Putting RAW LEAD in something you prepare food in can't be good unless your favorite leader's last name is Cesar

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Dale View Post
    Never mind the powdercoat. Putting RAW LEAD in something you prepare food in can't be good unless your favorite leader's last name is Cesar
    Where is there any "raw lead"? Is it not coated to start with? I take the name raw lead to mean bare lead, I see no bare lead when I powdercoat.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Why use a toaster oven?

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    Where is there any "raw lead"? Is it not coated to start with? I take the name raw lead to mean bare lead, I see no bare lead when I powdercoat.
    At best there's only a slight film of fine powder lightly stuck by a faint static charge covering the lead.

The coating isn't a barrier to ANYTHING until AFTER it comes out of the oven an cools.

Boolit Master

At best there's only a slight film of fine powder lightly stuck by a faint static charge covering the lead.

The coating isn't a barrier to ANYTHING until AFTER it comes out of the oven an cools.
    Okay, but the basic thing is; there's no vapors from even molten lead, (below 1200 Deg.), let alone the 400 degrees of the curing oven. And " until AFTER it comes out of the oven and cools." Actually as soon as it melts the powder, there's a barrier formed.

But as I said, there's no lead dust or lead vapor/fumes so what's the worry?

I'm with those that will remove any risk by not curing in my food oven, but use the toaster oven with at least some venting outside. Until we at least find out for SURE just whats in what we're smelling when curing PC boolits.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Heating "raw" lead to 400F will do nothing. You have to have lead to almost it's boiling point of over 3,000F to cause out gassing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry your self!

bangerjim

It's stank...what other reason do I need? My $10 yard-sale oven works fine out in the garage, but I'll probably use it mainly outside...don't like the garage stanked up either.

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Heating "raw" lead to 400F will do nothing. You have to have lead to almost it's boiling point of over 3,000F to cause out gassing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry your self!

bangerjim
    Knowledge is a good thing. And can help reduce emotional trauma!

Why use a toaster oven?

Don't worry your self!

bangerjim
    Can you garentee 100% that a bullet will NEVER find it's way out of your jig and down by the burner or heating element.

What about all the "who knows" trace elements that come with anything cast from non pure PB. I don't know what all is in a Chinese made wheel weight DO YOU?

The level of cheapskate and risk taking here to get out of buying a $6 goodwill toaster oven is staggering.

What's next? "Can I deep fry the thanksgiving turkey in my lead smelting pot"
    Last edited by Ronnie Dale; 10-07-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Can you garentee 100% that a bullet will NEVER find it's way out of your jig and down by the burner or heating element.

What about all the "who knows" trace elements that come with anything cast from non pure PB. I don't know what all is in a Chinese made wheel weight DO YOU?

The level of cheapskate and risk taking here to get out of buying a $6 goodwill toaster oven is staggering.

I am not talking about NOT buying a dedicated toaster oven! FAAAAAAAAAAAAAR from it! I spent well over a $100 on a GOOD convection style one JUST to cook boolits.....no 2nd store garbage for me. I threw away 2 standard ovens B4 that because they had hot and cold spots and gave unusable coatings and worthless boolits. No "doing it on the cheep" here.

But you brought the misnomer of lead outgassing and coating the insides of an oven at a mere 400F. Not gonna happen. Even if a boolit would happen to touch a red glowing element and melt, that temp is far below the 3,180F boiling point of lead. It will definitely end up in a puddle. But it will not outgas your dreaded lead "gas".

Just answering your question above for 'ya.

But NO.........do not EVER use any food utensils or ovens to melt/cook/cast/process anything we do here.

Just be safe.

banger

I think the bulk of this is academic, not so much about how to avoid buying a toaster oven.

If anyone is looking to buy a new oven, these infrared ovens work nicely! This is the model that I have been using.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NB-G.../dp/B008C9UFDI
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

OMG, is that a bad idea???????????

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/cust...pic31753_1.gif
    "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm." Dorothy Parker

Just answering your question above for 'ya.

But NO.........do not EVER use any food utensils or ovens to melt/cook/cast/process anything we do here.

Just be safe.

banger
    In this case we are in complete agreement.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast