Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why use a toaster oven?

Boolit Mold

Why use a toaster oven?

I have not been powder coating boolits very long, just three batches with the first one only 20 or so boolits as a test.

I noticed when I powder coated in a toaster oven there were no noticeable fumes at all, maybe because I cooked them off outside.

So I moved inside to my kitchen and used my regular oven to bake the finish in, which was nice because I can fit well over 100 boolits on the larger tray. I could only detect the slightest of odors when doing this inside.

My question is simple: why do you guys not use the regular oven in your kitchen to bake the finish?

Boolit Master

Contaminates the oven for food use.

Boolit Bub
    I hope this is a troll post. The oven in your kitchen is for food. Keep it that way. Bad idea to bake on the PC for bullets in the kitchen oven you use for food. There are definitely fumes associated with the PC baking process. Stick to the toaster oven and keep it outside.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys, I guess I will use the toaster oven ............... and no it's not a troll post, guess I am just a little stoopid

I've wondered about that myself, but still have yet to hear why. It's polyester; oven cleaner has methylene chloride and toluene (IIRC, I don't have a can handy).

Intuitively, it sounds risky...but is it actually?

No, my wife doesn't care, so domestic bliss will not be shattered by additions to smoking bees wax, wood chips, rattle-can paint and bleaching of polar bear hide.

Edit:

Just read that PC is used extensively for coatings on large appliances and has no VOCs.
    Last edited by WallyM3; 09-30-2014 at 04:32 PM.

Boolit Master

If I can find a used 20" electric range (cheap) I may set one up in my garage to use for baking pc boolits in the oven and melting lead on the burners.

I can't think of any reason baking bullets in a food oven would be particularly risky IF you don't spill any paint in there, and if you oven doesn't get hot enough to melt the lead. It sounds dangerous, but it's probably not.

Why take the chance?

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Why take the chance?

Slim
    That's kind of my point. That approach, while very hard to find fault with from a safety perspective, is based on intuition and could well be applied to just about anything depending upon the extent of one's knowledge of the facts.

Including shooting or playing with molten lead.

Vendor Sponsor

well I use my house oven fuurrr justers abiuyts v=everthingsra tant bothered mes yetsssa

ands that's why you use a toaster oven
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

That's the thing. The potential spills and setch.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ighlight=fumes

Expand the pic on post #17. That is all from fumes. Mine is mostly red, because I coat mostly in red. I don't spray inside my oven, but the inside is a light red all over.
    You don't want that in something you cook in.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I see your point there, but my question remains, "Why?"

Or, perhaps more properly, "Why not?"

Photo in #17 looks like over-spray from poor masking. Since the white is likely powder coated, what harm the yellow? I don't mean to be a PIA about this and I will, no doubt, be accused of "trolling" shortly, but I was hoping the we had amongst us a member with the chemical knowledge to treat with the urban legend, if it be that.

BTW, a version of your "Aroma Therapy" hangs on the wall next to my desk. It gets favorable comment frequently.

Boolit Master
    Happy wife, happy life. Haven't started pc'ing yet, but I already have a dedicated toaster oven.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesman423 View Post
    My question is simple: why do you guys not use the regular oven in your kitchen to bake the finish?
    Question everything. It doesn't mean argue, it means try to find out the reality. Reactive emotion is no substitute for facts and data. And if possible get a magnitude. You'll hear "it can make you sick" for instance. What's missing is "ok, what are the chances? Should I cancel my Caribbean vacation because they have more xxx disease than we do?".

Cars can kill you. Take it from there.
    Last edited by el34; 09-30-2014 at 07:44 PM.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

I've had lung lesions from rattle-can paint used in enclosed space, cancer likely from meth chl and we're still taking a peak occasionally for manifestations of all that asbestos I sucked in serving in USN Destroyers.

Once I learned the risks, I quit doin' the stupid stuff and have made it my policy to learn what is and what ain't. Life's too short to be scared of everything.

(A valid reply might be that lack of a healthy respect for the dangerous might lead to an even shorter one.)

There must be some definitive guidance from an authoritative and credible body (not necessarily gov't) distilled somewhere. My Googling luck is best gained by endurance, so I'll persevere there.

Agreed, Wally. You can't always find out but it is innocent and smart and sometimes beneficial to try. Maybe you won't have to cancel the vacation after all.

I saw a sign a while back- "Without data all you have is an opinion".
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

And there's a saying about opinions, too. (chuckle)

Quote Originally Posted by WallyM3 View Post
    And there's a saying about opinions, too. (chuckle)
    ? ? ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by el34 View Post
    ? ? ?
    The saying is that opinions are like *******s, everyone has one...

I have an old oven that I've been meaning to wire up an outlet for in the garage. The original intent was for ESPCing motorcycle parts. Then I saw about PCing boolits. I haven't worked up to the full size kitchen oven yet. I'm a bit concerned about hot spots in the oven, and am looking for a way to make it work like a convection oven.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Smell.......HECK YES!!!!!! All the powders I use stink to high heaven even outside my shop. Every time I open the door while baking there is a definite smell! Not pleasant at all.

And the oven gets coated all over inside with condensed PC gas......yes GAS. The same cloudy filmy stuff you get on the inside of you car windows (non-smokers only, please). That is polyvinyl chloride gas. Polyester powder out-gasses also and coats everything inside that oven cavity. You do not want to bake your lasagna or pizza in there!

Do Not bake in food stuff ovens!!!!.....just like melting and castings lead. Use designated tools and ovens, and may food never cross their paths!

Toaster ovens are not that expensive! Just buy one. Your life and that of your family is worth far more.

banger

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast