RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 158 358 lead in 9mm

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Jim - I got some 158 Lee swc boolits loaded in 9mm to try out this weekend. I will be at an indoor range so I can test for function and accuracy. I won't be able to chronograph them until Sunday afternoon at the earliest but will report back as soon as I shoot some of them.
    I suspect the cases are swaging down the base of the boolit a bit so I'm not sure how well they will shoot.
    Loaded 3.8, 4.0, and 4.2 grains of CFE pistol. OAL is 1.080. There is quite a bit of shoulder showing above the case but it plunks easily. I have a very generous throat on my barrel.
    They seem to feed well but I won't know for sure until I fire them. The nose is a very different profile from the Lee 105 and 140 swc that I tried before. It may work much better.
    Thanks, keep me posted. I will be doing some more testing as soon as I can. We have a very sick dog, and have been tending to him
    JIM

I shot the 158 grain semi wadcutters through the 9mm this afternoon. All the loads functioned the pistol. No failures to feed or eject.There were no signs of over pressure from any of the loads. Recoil and flash were mild.
    Accuracy was relatively poor. Only the 4.2 grain load was acceptably accurate and one of the rounds key-holed.
    I believe the bases were getting swaged down from being so far into the case. If I seated them longer they wouldn't chamber properly. Perhaps I need to use a different designed boolit. Perhaps a Lyman 358477 would be better than the Lee tc design I was using. That Lee tc shoots extremely accurately in my revolver though which was what it was designed for..
    No chrono results as one is not available at the range I was using.

Boolit Man
    Ok, got to do an abbreviated test. Just 3 shot strings across chrono, and a little accuracy test.
    158 Zero Swaged Lead HP( .358 ) @ 1.110
    4.1 Power pistol 878,868,865
    4.3 power Pistol 943,877,893
    No signs of pressure, all ran fine in the SR9. No more keyholing, and they seem at least as accurate as our 147 JHP's
    Ill do more accuracy testing as soon as I can

JIM

Glad they are working for you. The accuracy failed for me. I have other boolits in that weight range that are designed for 9mm and work well so I don't think I will work with them further.

Boolit Man
    I may have to scrap this project, though they did work, I am getting leading

Sounds like you may be getting the base of the boolit swaged down too. It just isn't causing inaccuracies or tumbling for you. Gas cutting will do it every time.

Boolit Master

I started sized the recently cast 358477s and before doing too many realized that I had the .356" die in the 450.

With this plus i link I found tonight, i can see those going down range. Their powder of choice was Blue Dot.

I wish I could say the 9mm is going to be purely a cast boolit gun, but I just bought 2400 coated projies before the great projectile and powder scare so I guess it will be fed mostly coated for a while.

Well at least when I finally have to.

After all I do have that 3 banger 356402 mold that feeds in the 380 and hopefully the 9mm. Really would prefer the TC style from Lee, with the bigger meplat.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Man
    Ok, I know this is old, but I have been busy...........Loaded some more with 4.2 gr Power pistol , but with COAL of 1.145 instead of 1.110. Shoot fine, accuracy good. Still leading, but not as bad, and only in the last half of barrel. I am thinking of reducing velocity to around 800 FPS. I will probably try csb-1 / NR-485 at around 3.0 grains..... Thoughts?

JIM

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=jim8115;3542517]Ok, I know this is old, but I have been busy...........Loaded some more with 4.2 gr Power pistol , but with COAL of 1.145 instead of 1.110. Shoot fine, accuracy good. Still leading, but not as bad, and only in the last half of barrel. I am thinking of reducing velocity to around 800 FPS. I will probably try csb-1 / NR-485 at around 3.0 grains..... Thoughts?
    ************************************************** ************************************************** **********
    What are you running for lube? They may be getting swaged down which is causing your leading, or the lube may be insufficient. I shoot a 150 gr RF in a 3-1/2" barreled 9mm at 960 fps. with 0 leading. They do have a very good lube on them though.

Boolit Man
    [QUOTE=dubber123;3542541]
    Quote Originally Posted by jim8115 View Post
    Ok, I know this is old, but I have been busy...........Loaded some more with 4.2 gr Power pistol , but with COAL of 1.145 instead of 1.110. Shoot fine, accuracy good. Still leading, but not as bad, and only in the last half of barrel. I am thinking of reducing velocity to around 800 FPS. I will probably try csb-1 / NR-485 at around 3.0 grains..... Thoughts?
    ************************************************** ************************************************** **********
    What are you running for lube? They may be getting swaged down which is causing your leading, or the lube may be insufficient. I shoot a 150 gr RF in a 3-1/2" barreled 9mm at 960 fps. with 0 leading. They do have a very good lube on them though.
    They are the zero swaged bullets, some sort of red lube in the grooves

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12