Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2400 Implicated in Rifle Blow-up

That blowup happened in 2008, first reported in this thread : http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...7-K-31-Ka-boom

Original poster removed the pictures. You can view what remains here : http://theswissriflesdotcommessageboard.yuku.com/topic/5631/Painful-K31-post-On-Canadiangunnutzcom-forum#.VDtECektDIU

I did not read all the posts, I really don't know what was the cause, but it is apparent the receiver ring blew.

Quote Originally Posted by fa38 View Post
    I usually use the idiot stick test for correct charge powder levels. It will also alert you to bugs or other c r a p that has snuck into your perfectly cleaned cases. Its a small dowel with a line that will show above the case mouth of a correctly powder charged case.
    I second. Have used 2400 for years. After inadvertent double charging (98 mauser;recoil, report, stiff bolt, destroyed primer pocket), standard procedure now incorporates both the flashlight (visual) and the small dowel or "idiot stick" test.
    Best Regards,
    Tom

Yes, I use the flashlight and loading block, even for one single load! Mine was a missed powder charge (which I may have mentioned once or twice ). I sat up and took note! (And nearly had to change my underwear). Even though it was only a near mess - I mean miss! Read I was flipping lucky! Hey, I said flashlight instead of torch!

I do find it strange that the bolt does not appear fully locked as someone pointed out. Could the blow-up have caused the bolt to turn slightly?
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Banned

If you look at all of the pics, the bolt is in different positions in different pictures. So who can actually say that the bolt was not fully seated. And if you read the other post on the Swiss site, the bolt is fully supported even if it is not fully closed. It just won't fire. I know that was the way mine was. As much brass that is sprayed all over that receiver, it had to be an over load the more I look at it. That and questionable brass. I have been seeing post on other forums that have brass that was PPU, or NNY, same thing, that had casehead separations and rifles coming apart.

I saw a very beautiful Swiss K31 tonight. It was amazing to look at...so I come into this area to see what you all have to say about them and...KABOOM! I know, definately looks like a reloader error.

Price was under $500 btw...I don't have the money myself, but it was at the Glendale AZ Cabelas
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123