Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new pistol....

Boolit Master

Looking for a new pistol....

So I'm looking for a new OC/HD pistol. I've decided that I'm going to stay with one of the big three common calibers. I've been eyeing the Glock 41, but I am looking around. My wife likes the bigger bores, as do I, so I will probably end up looking towards the 40 or 45acp side. Any recommendations? I know with the Glock 22's I can shoot 9mm, 40, and 357 Sig and maybe 9x25 dillon by swapping barrels. I really don't know a whole lot about the M&P's, XD's and Sigs. Anyone who have them feel free to chime in. I've shot a 9mm M&P back when they first came out, but that's about all of my experience with them.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Boolit Master

Chris,

The 9x23 is too long for the 22 frame, I think.

Glock 22s are pretty cheap right now as police trade ins on GunBroker.

I don't know if you gunsmith/tinker but if you do in my mind the Glock is the way to go. No other brand is easier to work on, huge after market support and you can buy every single part for them. Most other brands don't/won't/can't sell all their parts. I have heard, don't know it it's true that the ejector on the XDs take a special set up and tool and the factory won't sell either.

Good luck.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Banned
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - One plastic framed, high capacity, striker-fired semi-auto pistol is about the same as another. Most of them utilize the square cut ejection port to lock the square section breach end of the barrel to the slide (pioneered by Sig and copied by Glock and everyone else). The Glocks have the longest track record and generally the simplest design of the genre.
    I'm not a Glock salesman nor do I have any great allegiance to Glock but I'm absolutely convinced that Glocks work. They have proven to be extremely reliable, extremely durable and more than accurate enough for their intended purpose.
    There is a HUGE market for pistols of that type so there's money to be made by producing copies of that type of gun. Therefore all of the knock-offs of the Glock concept are made and sold (Springfield XD's, S&W M&P's, etc. ) Those aren't bad guns and there are some people that just have to buy American. However, the Glock is almost always the simplest design and it is well proven.

If you're in the market for a plastic framed, striker-fired pistol; then a Glock seems to be the answer to what you seek.

After that, you're down to caliber and size. That's a debate for another thread........
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 09-30-2014 at 07:00 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Nothing wrong with any of the major makes in polymer. Get what fits your hand and flips your switch.

Personally ly ive been debating on either a new Sig P227 or another AR.

I like 9,40,45 as well. From a relaoding consideration, 45acpnis much lower in pressure an brass life is long

Boolit Master
    If you want one to carry every day the Glock21/41 types are too heavy. I find when carring the Glock21sf on the property that the weight is quite noticeable. My glock 22 is much better as its lighter. But, if i wanted to buy a gun for daily open carry it would be a Glock19 third generation with a good bullet.

Get a steel gun.

Boolit Master
    You will not go wrong with a Glock 22.

Get a Colt Walker model repro.

Groo here
    Just got dad a CW45 by Kahr light thin 45acp.
    Shoots like a revolver.

Boolit Master

my XDM goes bang each time i pull the trigger no issues at all highly accurate
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

I know the Ruger P series had it`s issues , & here it comes , I picked up a nice stainless P 345 D it was very dirty but the slide rails didn't look as if it had barely been shot. A through cleaning , even the mag & it eats everything I can feed it .
    It`s the first pistol I`ve owned in 20 yrs & I plan on keepin it.

Total 300 bucks !!
    GP100man

Banned
    Goo suggested a Kahr and I have to agree that it is a good design and thin. Basically a Glock with a single stack.
    Garym1a2 suggested a Glock 19 and in my experience that is an outstanding gun. The Glock 19 is a great balance between size, capacity and reliability. The 19 may be my favorite Glock.

Bullshop Junior suggested a steel gun, so here's a picture of a steel gun :

Attachment 117903

Banned
    Hey...it's a .45 !

Boolit Buddy

I have a Glock 23. I think it's the perfect balance of power and size. I added a 357 Sig barrel and am amazed how well it shoots with that. Just my .02 cents

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ia.redneck View Post
    I have a Glock 23. I think it's the perfect balance of power and size. I added a 357 Sig barrel and am amazed how well it shoots with that. Just my .02 cents
    Also a good choice and the barrel swap gives you two calibers with one platform.
    The G19/G23 pistols are outstanding carry pistols. Almost the same capacity as the full sized G17/G22 models, smaller overall size yet still big enough to hang onto.

Honestly I'd buy the one that fits your wife's hands best. Glock, even the small frame has never sat right in my hand, it ends up being too much length of pull for consistent trigger control. XD/xdm ended up being my poly gun of choice. I wanted a S&W M&P but was more comfortable doing trigger work on the xd/xdm after much research. The only downside to the xd /xdm is the slightly higher bore axis. The big plus to xd/xdm's is the factory support and true factory custom shop. If you wanna send it off for work like a defensive package(trigger work, sights, etc..)and it's covered under warranty by original manufacturer(importer actually).

not sure how you feel about beretta, but used beretta 96's can be had for under $400. Nice compromise between steel and polymer and holds 11rds of 40. Wilson combat is also now taking in berettas for custom work.

then there's the "right" answer. You want class, nostalgia and big bore in one package? Buy a 1911 of decent quality and know you did the right thing

Boolit Master
    If you are not hung up on having a double stack magazine may I suggest looking for one of the west german police turn in pistols made by sig. 9mm single stack 8 rounds some finish may be gone but are good shooters. Some years back got one and shoots better than my 92fs. Frank

Banned
    "9mm single stack 8 rounds" = SIGP225 or P6 as it was known in Germany.

Boolit Grand Master

Don't overlook Walther's offerings. For some reason most people do. Both the PPS and PPQ are terrific shooters. If a Glock is comfortable for you to shoot then you can't go wrong w/ one. I'm one of those people that can't shoot them comfortably no matter how much a try.

Boolit Master

I was looking at a G23 for a long time. I wouldn't bat an eyelash at getting one of them. My wife has really small hands and I have very large hands. I was loaned a Sig P238 by another member on here, and it was perfect for carry, and the wife loved it. Small enough for her hands, but big enough for mine with the pinky extension. 8 rounds of single stack .40.

I hadn't thought about the Walthers or Kahrs. I'll look into them. I've heard the PPQ is a tackdriver.
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast