RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Gun safe rifle rods

Boolit Grand Master

Gun safe rifle rods

deleted
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 02-25-2016 at 07:25 PM.

Had to Google this I had never heard of them they look cool and I might have to get a few.. I sock everything also and my first thought was to have mom sew large button holes in the end of my sock or sock backwards.

Boolit Master
    I've seen the pistol rods for sale at gun shows before. Supposedly they help you gain safe room, or manage your space more efficiently. I have not tried them. The whole idea of balancing my guns on metal rods (even plastic coated ones) inserted into the bores seemed somewhat risky to me.

I wasn't familiar with the rifle gun safe rods, so I had to Google them as well.

Here's a couple images showing them used as an organizational tool.

They certainly look like they work. It appears that you could get many more firearms in the same amount of space using them.

I use gun socks as well to protect my firearms from dings in the safe, for what it's worth.

Perhaps the rods would work better at protecting firearms from damage if your safe is aggressively jostled. Maybe in case of an earthquake, tornado, or someone dragging your safe down the road behind a truck.

On a more serious note though, I had a friend who had a rifle fall down in an inexpensive and overcrowded gun safe. It ordinarily wouldn't have been a big deal, but the fallen rifle blocked the safes door lock mechanism keeping the door from opening. Consequently he could not open the door to access any of his other firearms. His safe was also bolted to the wall, but not bolted down to the concrete floor. A crowbar to pry it off the wall bolts, and some serious shaking around allowed him to get the door open without requiring the assistance of a locksmith, but it was touch and go there for a while. The use of gun safe rods would have prevented all of this from happening.

Perhaps someone else will chime in who has used the gun safe rifle rods after seeing the pictures. They may also be marketed under different product names.

- Bullwolf

On Heaven's Range

I recently bought a gun safe "rated" for 31 firearms.

That is a joke.

With something over 25 long guns, I can NOT fit them all into the safe without squashing them together.

While I don't really mind the honorable marks that guns get from active service, I DETEST and RESENT the scars inflicted by the struggle to get them into or out of their "safe storage".

I think I will get enough silicone-treated "gun sleeves" or socks to cover one-half of the long guns. Then, by alternating guns IN sleeves and guns WITHOUT sleeves, I should be able to at least minimize the cosmetic damage.

I too don't like the idea of anything in the bores of my guns.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

I have never seen them and i to had to Google them they look like they would work good as long as you push on the top of the safe are shelf that is nailed down so it would not move ,my shelf's move around a little and they move up.

that's my two cents

MR O
    Remember sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees

Boolit Mold
    I just recently purchased some of these and all I can say is WOW!!! What a difference they make. they way my safe was set up I could only get 7 long guns (with scopes mounted) on one side as the cutouts for the barrels faced each other (instead of being offset). After using the rifle rods I have doubled my capacity and it looks much better. Such a simple idea and they're worth every penny .
    Tip 1 ....I used a short length of hose for my shotgun barrels over the rod for a better fit and I also placed some 1" foam on the bottom of the safe for more stability.
    Tip 2 .... Purchase Hook & Loop fabric from ebay in sheets for super cheap.
    Jim

Thats a good idea.

I guess you can use some balloon holder with some velcro on top to stick on felt covered ceiling of the safe.
    Even a dowel with a disc screwed on would work.

Boolit Master

I used them for a few years and the rods hold well and they sure do allow you to pack your guns in tighter. I had something like 13 long guns in an 8 gun Sentry safe. My scopes are not overly large, but my 13 count included some ARs.

Boolit Buddy

I had made my own rifle rods out of wooden dowel rod and round discs with a hole drilled in the bottom and glue to the top of the rod, I then put Velcro on the top of the wooden disc and the top shelf had Velcro stick material glued to the bottom of that shelf. The whole system I had made up worked very well, but what I did was turned my scoped rifles sideways in the back of the safe and all others facing forward which save a little more space.
    Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Boolit Master

I know my safes couldn't hold any more long guns, no matter what. I even had to remove the bolts cause they were taking up too much space. Got them really close. I do use the pistol rods though, and find them quite OK. They're coated with some sort of plastic. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I'm not concerned w/ the pistol rods at this point. They have their own safe where space is not an issue. I would not not be able to use the ones that go under the shelf since I have the upper shelf just above the rifles.

For the few that have used the rifle rods. Do they make it easier to get the rifles in and out?
    They don't make it easier or more difficult, just different. You will have to move whatever is in the way of what you want.

Boolit Master

Yep, none of these safes hold the amount of guns unless you collect unscoped .22 slim pumps and semi autos. My god, start adding big tactical or big objective scopes and your space gets eaten up quick. Same with any guns like FALS and AR's.

i figure you can get half of what they say in a safe.

one of my tricks for maximizing safe room is to alternate guns up and down. it works with my milsurps like garands and m1903's. The foot space is one of the limiters, by flipping half the guns on their muzzles you can cheat them together. I do worry about possible corrosion though due to the lack of circulation there. My safe is a on a concrete floor bolted down and there are two layers of carpet covered shelves between the guns and the bottom of the safe.
    Last edited by Lance Boyle; 10-02-2014 at 01:50 PM.