Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: McAfee is a joke!

Moderator Emeritus

Avast is good. If you remove Norton or McAfee download a removal tool to get all of it. Both leave stuff all over the drive in odd spots

Have tried them all myself. Kaspersky rocks, hands down.

Boolit Buddy
    Agreed go with Kaspersky.
    "A house divided against its self can not stand" Abraham Lincoln

We hunters, trappers, fishermen, and shooting sports enthusiasts are the house. But we are divided and are our own worst enemy. If we do not stand together we will fall individually.

Boolit Master

Avg

ss
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Have to use McAfee due to the virtual school. Tried without it n school didn't work. Was usin a d use at work the avast never had a problem with it. Have the malaware bytes free run a scan almost daily on it.

Boolit Master

I like either AVG or Avast! Both are free and work well. Along with these I also would recommend Malwarebytes Anti Malware this is not free but for a one time fee of $24.95 you will be amazed and surprised how much junk it stops.

Ken

Boolit Buddy
    There are three rules to surfing the net...

1) a free antivirus. You don't need anything beyond this, and all of them will use the free AV to package a bunch of garbage you don't need but they'll sell to you anyway. I use "AVG Free." Pay close attention during the installation of any software, they may try to bundle browser addons and such, you don't need any of that at all and it just clutters your machine and eats resources.

2) become a little bit savvy about how to use the net safely. Mouse hold-over links (in emails and websites) to ensure you're not changing domains. "yourbank.com" and "yourbank.somethingelse.com" are different domains and probably funds a script kiddie halfway around the world. Beware of legit-looking emails that try to get you to login to do something, because it's easy to copy such a page on your own domain and trick people into logging in, and then redirect them to the actual domain so they believe they didn't log in correctly. Meanwhile, some punk has your creds now.

3) review other documents on the net about how to safely use the net

Boolit Master

I'm a UNIX/Linux SA and generally run Linux on my home machines, when I have to use windows I use AVG or Microsoft Security Essentials.

Boolit Master

Macafee is like others said a virus so is Norton I liked Zone alarm and am now using a pay version of AVG it seems to work real well .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    Ha! Got tired of all that virus hocus pocus! I think the ANTI virus companys make the virus themselves to sale their products anyway! Sorry never was a trusting soul!

Went to Linux Ubuntu and never looked back!
    If I was told I would dump windows 2 years ago, I would have called you crazy. WIll I did and went to Linux Ubuntu also. No more problems.
    Last edited by Uncle Jimbo; 09-30-2014 at 08:32 PM. Reason: World's worst speller

Boolit Buddy
    Avast!

I have used it for YEARS. Always free. Always works.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jimbo View Post
    If I was told I would dump windows 2 years ago, I would have called you crazy. WIll I did and went to Linux Ubuntu also. No more problems.
    Linux is increasingly becoming a viable option for average users. If all you do is office-type documents and surf the web, linux is ideal. And compared to the price of Windows 7 or 8, you can buy a new computer from parts super inexpensively (the more inexpensive the machine, the greater portion of the cost goes to Windows OS) and install linux and never need to upgrade for years.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I just bought a new HP laptop and dumped the windows and installed the new Ubuntu 14.04LTS edition and I'm happy. No virus, no wierd programs trying to download something on my computer all the time. I could never go back to the agravation of Windows again. If I have a problem with something on Ubuntu there is a whole forum of people to help! Oh! It's also FREE!!!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    I just bought a new HP laptop and dumped the windows and installed the new Ubuntu 14.04LTS edition and I'm happy. No virus, no wierd programs trying to download something on my computer all the time. I could never go back to the agravation of Windows again. If I have a problem with something on Ubuntu there is a whole forum of people to help! Oh! It's also FREE!!!
    Smart move seagiant. You might have saved a bit by buying a computer with Linux pre-installed. Part of your computer cost was for Windblows.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Man
    I have been using free avira for years, I happened to find it reading consumer reports while waiting for a doctor visit. It ranked top of the free antivirus.

Boolit Bub
    X2. I have used the pay and free versions for many years, I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by txsnowman2k2 View Post
    Avast free or pay, been using it for years...tx

Perma-Banned

I use AVG and have been happy with it, plus it is free.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RayinNH View Post
    Smart move seagiant. You might have saved a bit by buying a computer with Linux pre-installed. Part of your computer cost was for Windblows.
    Hi,
    I actually looked into that, but the computer I wanted was not available like that! I'm content and would rather get rid of Windows than put up with all the BS! Ubuntu is FREE anyway, as is the help if you need it!

Hasta La Vista, BILL!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Moderator Emeritus

Linux is great until you run into programs that will not run under it(not even in the windows emulator). My laser engraver software is one.

Banned

I do a dual boot for that reason Mary. I select at start up either windows or Linux.

Andy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast