Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: McAfee is a joke!

Boolit Buddy

McAfee is a joke!

Well I spent most of the day getting my computer up and running after My virus protection by McAfee let a virus in and it locked me out of the web. I can not believe people are paying for this worthless service, the only reason I have it on mine is because it was on it when I bought it new from dell, any recommendation on a replacement virus protector for windows 8.1? I sure am not trusting McAfee anymore!

Boolit Master
    Wrong it is a VIRUS!
    Microsoft Security Essentials works good for me if the new computer has Windows 8 or 8.1 it is there just turn it on.
    Frank G.

Boolit Man

Avast free or pay, been using it for years...tx

Banned

Try, AVAST FREE, works great for me

Super Moderator

McAfee truly is a joke, I agree. After getting two virus (trojans) through their antivirus I switched to Norton. Never had a problem since.

You nailed it, McAfee is worse than a joke, it is a malicious program. Norton is no better, but some people find it less invasive. Try Avast!, Kaspersky, or my favorite, MSSE.

Boolit Master
    Microsoft Security Essentials
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmm_3940 View Post
    You nailed it, McAfee is worse than a joke, it is a malicious program. Norton is no better, but some people find it less invasive. Try Avast!, Kaspersky, or my favorite, MSSE.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Wrong it is a VIRUS!
    Microsoft Security Essentials works good for me if the new computer has Windows 8 or 8.1 it is there just turn it on.
    After trying several over the years, I have found the Microsoft Security for windows 8.X works best. As long as you keep it updated.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Banned

For the $$$, I have enjoyed Microsoft Security Essentials. It is pretty weak but the price is right. I tend to agree with PC Magazine reviews and here are the reviews:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp

After reading the reviews, I think I may go with the free version of Panda Security or Bitdefender.
    Last edited by jmort; 09-29-2014 at 05:33 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Been using shield delux for many years. Runs 65 a year for 3 computers and works great.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do. metalworker, woodworker, mechanic, restorer and 200.00 stamp collector

Boolit Buddy

I have been using Trend Micro for many years and have always had excellent protection and service from them, they always send updates in a timely manner and I have never had a problem with my computer or any virus while using them.
    Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

I've used many of them. Hated McAfee & Norton the most as they seemed to hog system resources. Bitdefender was good but they wanted too much for the renewal. Using ESET now for about a year & very pleased. I typically read a bunch of current reviews prior to choosing a new one.

Kaspersky.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master
    Whatever antivirus you go with, make sure you install an antimalware tool as well e.g. Malwarebytes (which is free for personal use). (Unless you pay for a 'suite' of tools.)

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I upgraded the Malawarebytes, I think it was $24 a year. Works great. Auto updates, and catches things immediately before they get on the computer. I've even had a couple things nabbed while on here. Works good for a guy who would forget to run a scan regularly.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

get a chromebook. no antivirus software needed at all. cheper than a laptop to.

http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/chromebook

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Ha! Got tired of all that virus hocus pocus! I think the ANTI virus companys make the virus themselves to sale their products anyway! Sorry never was a trusting soul!

Went to Linux Ubuntu and never looked back!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    Ha! Got tired of all that virus hocus pocus! I think the ANTI virus companys make the virus themselves to sale their products anyway! Sorry never was a trusting soul!

Went to Linux Ubuntu and never looked back!
    Same here.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Buddy
    For the times I run Windows, it's Avast, or Bitdefender. The Microsoft Security Essentials software, unless it's been changed SIGNIFICANTLY over the last couple of years, is questionable. The reason I say that is that Microsoft at one point bought an anti-spyware company, and shortly thereafter, bought another company that had previously made spyware. Shortly after the second acquisition, the spyware company's software was no longer detected by Micro$oft's anti-spyware program. Not even the old version.
    Your best bets for not getting a virus include not using Internet Explorer (it took them 10 years to fix a bug in IE, and even then they didn't fix it until the NSA issued an alert recommending people not use IE), and don't ever use file sharing software (remember the days of BearShare? That company was sued out of existence, and then sold to a company who installed malware via an "update". This has happened to many other file sharing companies, and it's not coincidental. The MPAA and RIAA seem to intentionally sell domains they've acquired to malware makers).
    "Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one--the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts.." - C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

Microsoft Security Essentials

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast